New tire before trip? I can't read tread for beans

So I've only been riding for about 12 months now and I really can't tell how much tread I have left on my rear tire.  Most people say they only get 3-4-5K out of this tire, but I'm at 5 now and it seems like I have a decent amount of tread remaining.  See pics below.  I also think it's not squaring off, but what do I know.

I am leaving for a trip in 2 weeks covering 4500 miles, so I'm probably going to need to change prior or during.  I'm thinking of getting it out of the way just to avoid the hassle.  Looking at the tire at the wear marks, I have at least 1/8" from the wear marks (those are slightly raised right?)

What are you thoughts?  Thanks everyone!

http://imgur.com/a/e2Ft3

• Premium Member
So I've only been riding for about 12 months now and I really can't tell how much tread I have left on my rear tire.  Most people say they only get 3-4-5K out of this tire, but I'm at 5 now and it seems like I have a decent amount of tread remaining.  See pics below.  I also think it's not squaring off, but what do I know. 
I am leaving for a trip in 2 weeks covering 4500 miles, so I'm probably going to need to change prior or during.  I'm thinking of getting it out of the way just to avoid the hassle.  Looking at the tire at the wear marks, I have at least 1/8" from the wear marks (those are slightly raised right?)

What are you thoughts?  Thanks everyone!

http://imgur.com/a/e2Ft3

e2Ft3e2Ft3I see that you are almost to the wear bars. You will never make another 4500 miles. I would suggest replacing the rear tire with a new Dunlop Roadsmart II tire.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Well, I have more wear at 3500 miles than you do at 5000, so it's all relative. That tire has a good bit of life left, but I would definitely not start a trip that long with 5k on the tire already. I would replace it. You can always re-mount it later and run it out.

I'm thinking I'm just not as fast as you folks! I will get a new Roadmart II and save my current for the future. I'd guess I have another 2000 miles on it, but that's a guess. Seriously, it has another 1/8" to the wear bar so we'll see. I heard the Roadsmart II was built for a litter longer life? Maybe it wouldnt even be worth the time or $40 to remount but we'll see.

Thanks for your input everyone.

• Premium Member
I'm thinking I'm just not as fast as you folks! I will get a new Roadmart II and save my current for the future. I'd guess I have another 2000 miles on it, but that's a guess. Seriously, it has another 1/8" to the wear bar so we'll see. I heard the Roadsmart II was built for a litter longer life? Maybe it wouldnt even be worth the time or $40 to remount but we'll see.  
Thanks for your input everyone.
The stock rear tire seem to wear really fast after getting close to the wear bars. I got 3,000 miles out of mine before I replaced it with a Roadsmart II. Ya, just toss that tire, not worth the $40 to mount. I mount my own tires and still would not keep it. YMMV 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

My stock has 5600 miles and I still have not hit the wear bars yet. Its getting close but I bet I could get about another 1000 before it needs changed.

I think the wear on the tire depends on your riding and how hot it is out on the asphalt. My outside temps where anywhere from 56 degrees to 104 degrees.

• Premium Member
The wear on the D222 is interesting. I had around 3,000 miles on my tyres before my trip to France and was concerned I would not make it on the rear tyre. I went anyway knowing that I would be able to find a set if not a single tyre in France. I returned and now have more than 5,000 miles on the tyre - and I'm not on the wear bars yet. The first 3,000 miles were mostly in cold conditions and the last 2,000 miles in warm to hot conditions. Counterintuitively it seems to have worn less in hot weather.

• Premium Member
The wear on the D222 is interesting. I had around 3,000 miles on my tyres before my trip to France and was concerned I would not make it on the rear tyre. I went anyway knowing that I would be able to find a set if not a single tyre in France. I returned and now have more than 5,000 miles on the tyre - and I'm not on the wear bars yet. The first 3,000 miles were mostly in cold conditions and the last 2,000 miles in warm to hot conditions. Counterintuitively it seems to have worn less in hot weather.
perhaps you are accelerating out of corners earlier, whilst off the centre of the tyre as you are more confident on the bike and the grip is better? 
when the bike was new to you and the roads were cold, you probably took it much easier, only giving it some serious throttle once upright. The torque in this engine really does allow you to get a wiggle on out of corners and the TCS is lurking in your mind as a safety net.   

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
perhaps you are accelerating out of corners earlier, whilst off the centre of the tyre as you are more confident on the bike and the grip is better? 
when the bike was new to you and the roads were cold, you probably took it much easier, only giving it some serious throttle once upright. The torque in this engine really does allow you to get a wiggle on out of corners and the TCS is lurking in your mind as a safety net.   

yes, I'm sure I'm on the throttle earlier in summer! But I wonder, as the profile changes with wear, perhaps the contact area increases, or the tyre has different compounds, and a harder compound is exposed? Or I am imagining things. Either way, where I was initially disappointed with the rate of wear I now think it is reasonable and I will stay with Dunlop. 

• Premium Member
yes, I'm sure I'm on the throttle earlier in summer! But I wonder, as the profile changes with wear, perhaps the contact area increases, or the tyre has different compounds, and a harder compound is exposed? Or I am imagining things.
You're not imagining things.  As the tire squares off it'll have a larger contact patch when upright so you'd expect wear to slow down a bit.  Of course, the handling gets kind of wonky, so it's not a free lunch. :-) 
While I've been reasonably happy with the D222s so far, I'm still going back to the PR3s I used on my old bike when they wear out.  I like them better in the rain.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Thanks for your help guys. I ended up talking with my local shop and he sold me on the Pilot 2. $159, his cost and only $40 to mount. The Road Smart 2 was $149. These dudes are awesome! I asked about having a different manufacturer up front and on the rear, and he said it's not a problem at all. Pretty stoked.

I figured if I hate this tire, I'm going to put 5000 miles on it in 3 weeks so I can change it shortly thereafter.

The PR2 is a very good tire. Not as good in rain as the PR3 or 4, but still a very good tire. I'd be just a bit concerned about age. What is the date code on it? I used up 2 sets on my Triumph Sprint ST, got about 8-9K out of the rear, fronts could have gone a few thousand more but I always changed in sets.

Also, in addition to all that's been mentioned about tire wear, pavement type also plays a large role in tire wear. Larger than most people realize. In places that have volcanic based tarmac, think Hawaii, New Zealand, etc. You can get huge lean on and not worry about the tires slipping... but those coarse roads also EAT tires, very quickly. :)

Archived