New FJ-09 Owner from Oakland CA

mhevezi

Hey Everyone,

Just want to stop in and say, "Hello." Been thinking about an FJ-09 for a while and well, my Buell made the decision for me by stranding me at a Shell station yesterday. Seems like just a bad battery, but I don't want to chance it, so my 2008 Ulysses XB12XT goes up for sale this weekend- with a new battery of course.

But, I stopped in at my friend's dealership yesterday and they have a Red FJ in the crate and we came to terms on the bike. I hope to pick it up tomorrow- or at least by the weekend.

I demo'd one about 2 weeks ago and it really fit me well and was nice to ride. For what you get- the price is hard to beat. Not many 'fire sales' or huge bargains out West- these things don't sit on the floor very long, but I'm OK with the deal and excited for my new bike. 

I really will miss my Buell (it's my 2nd one) as I applaud all Eric did for motorcycling. But, with him out of business (again)- parts will become more of an issue as the bike ages, and I figure I can still get a decent price for the bike now. In 3yrs? Who knows...

Anyways, just wanted to pop-in and get my feet wet. I will post many pics when I get the FJ.

I really will miss the Buell- it was an outstanding machine.

Buell9_zpsea7aeda3.jpg

Welcome and enjoy the new FJ.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
Welcome, cool buell.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Here she is!

image.jpg3_zpsep6hbvui.jpg

image.jpg1_zps5avyt822.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsb1mcfe7o.jpg

So far, it's really nice. The suspension was VERY stiff new, as the bike had zero miles on it when I picked it up. I took all the rebound out to facilitate break in of the suspension. Once it's broken in, I'll add rebound back to suit my riding style. Making a list of all the mods and upgrades planned. Since I will not have a unique bike anymore, I need to make mine stand out from the crowd! Got a few things planned right off the bat.

Happy riding peeps!

• Premium Member
Making a list of all the mods and upgrades planned. Since I will not have a unique bike anymore, I need to make mine stand out from the crowd! Got a few things planned right off the bat. 
Happy riding peeps!

Hurry up, you have a lot of catching up to do. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Awesome! Congrats!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Making a list of all the mods and upgrades planned. Since I will not have a unique bike anymore, I need to make mine stand out from the crowd! Got a few things planned right off the bat. 
Happy riding peeps!

Hurry up, you have a lot of catching up to do. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif
Ha ha! I could sell the replacement of the Buell on reliability without much convincing, but how do I sell a $1200, full Ti Akropovic Exhaust to the wife??? 
I can sneak some low-cost mods by her, but she'll notice the $1200 missing.... My wife is the Imelda Marcos of the West Coast. I don't really mind too much, as she looks better than the FJ when decked out in red and heels! 

List of mods planned:

New windscreen (I'm 6'03" - the stock screen is pretty useless)
New Exhaust
Wheel Decals (on order)
Triple Hard Cases (on order)
Heated Grips (on order)
Phone/GPS mount
2nd 12v outlet
Possibly a new saddle (the stock saddle is VERY grippy- makes spirited riding more of a chore)
Suspension work- I like the drop in fork dampers that allow more adjustability & I'd like a rear shock with a remote, preload adjuster.
Possibly a high-flow a/f with Power Commander (I hear those really transform the bike)
The hand guards... they are more form than function.

I'm sure I'll think of more junk as I rack up the miles.

FYI- this is my 4th Yamaha- after a 1980 XT550, a Seca 550 and a YZ250F. 

Archived