World Superbike Races@ Laguna Seca.

mikengrace

• Premium Member
This last Sunday my son Andrew, paid for the tickets to the World Superbike Races at Laguna Seca. I should tell you that my two sons started on dirt bikes at 4 years of age. They are both in their thirties now, and we still ride as often as we can together. Anyway, we headed out at about 8:30 in the morning. Laguna Seca is only about an hour and thirty minut ride from my home. He was riding my fully farkled KLR 650, and I was on my FJ-09. 

We we arrived in time to see the first of the support races. We then toured the paddock area and checked out all the vendors. The weather was real muggy and smelled like rain, but it never did. 

I had raced at Laguna in the early eighties. It was a dangerous track at that time, set up mostly for cars, with very little run off area. It is now one of the worlds greatest tracks. The facilities and fan comforts are impressive. 

This was a great day for me. Even though I am suffering from terminal cancer, and getting weaker all the time, and this may have been one of my last rides. The fact that my son wanted to spend at least one more day riding with me made it an incredible day. I was real weak all day long and struggled to last through it, but I did, and I am so glad we went. 

The abilities of the racers at every level was unbelievable. Let me tell you, there are just a handful of riders capable of using these machines to their full potential. 

As wonderful as this day was, it ended horribly. Two riders, in a support race, were killed in a terrible crash at the very start of their race. To make it even worse, they were both from Spain, and undoubtedly knew each other. 

I would have have gladly given up this wonderful day, if it could have somehow avoided this tragedy. 

We we should all take a moment to think about how blessed we are, to enjoy this wonderful sport and passion of ours.

In in spite of how it ended. I will remember this day, as one of the hi lights of my life. 

Ride safe and enjoy the experiences our passion to ride can provide you. 

Mikengrace.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09. SWmoteck crash bars, OEM front and rear axle sliders, Second OEM electrical plug in, Garmin GPS and mount, Powerbronze lower chin fairing, accessory battery pig tail, Evotech radiator guard. Evotech clip on tank bag.
Fully farkled 2013 Kawasaki KLR650, to keep it company.

• Premium Member
First, very sorry to hear about your health, and secondly about those two racers. Here's hoping for the best. friday_zpsy7vrreqp.gif
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Thanks ULEWZ.
Mikengrace.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09. SWmoteck crash bars, OEM front and rear axle sliders, Second OEM electrical plug in, Garmin GPS and mount, Powerbronze lower chin fairing, accessory battery pig tail, Evotech radiator guard. Evotech clip on tank bag.

• Premium Member
Thank you keithu. 

Words are are not necessary. Just the fact that you've taken the time to acknowledge my post, says much about the person you must be. 

I do do hug my sons, every time I see them. The last time was about 3 hours ago. 

God bless you and those you love. 

Mike. 
Mikengrace.

Cancer sucks. My mother in law had it twice and my father in law had it as well. Both have fought through it and are still living. In fact, my wife was not supposed to have been able to be conceived because of her mom's treatment. I'm glad that doctor was wrong. She was born between the 2 incidents of cancer. They both have lifelong effects from it though. My wife and I lost a close friend to cancer a few years ago. The guitar player in my band fought through it and is now cancer free but still recovering from the treatments. We will have our first gig in 1.5-2 years in September. I am super excited about that. As tragic as the race was, it sounds like you made great memories for you and your kids. Really makes you think about the more important things. Thank you for posting.

• Premium Member
Thanks root. 

Im so glad to hear about your parents triumph over cancer. I hope that they and you have long and fulfilling lives. It gives me motivation to continue my fight. 

Mike.
Mikengrace.

Thanks root.  

Im so glad to hear about your parents triumph over cancer. I hope that they and you have long and fulfilling lives. It gives me motivation to continue my fight. 

Mike.
Keep fighting. We are all pulling for you.

• Premium Member
My amazing wife gives me more than enough reason to fight until the very end. But, your encouragement helps as well. Thank you. 
Mikengrace.

• Premium Member
My first time to Laguna Seca was for the USGP in 1991. My new wife and I rode up from Point Mugu on my VF700 Interceptor and my buddy carried our tent and gear on his FLHS. We camped and had a grand old time watching Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schwantz, Eddie Lawson, Wayne Gardner, John Koscinski, Alex Barros, etc. We watched the final race in the corkscrew. Great experience!

• Premium Member
There are some great names in that list. Believe it on not, I was actually on the track "Riverside" with Eddie Lawson. I raced AFM in the early eighties. Eddie was there on his Kawasaki Superbike. He was on the track with us mortals during the super street race. He was just getting time on his bike. He started a half of a lap behind us. On the third lap he passed me on the inside of a tight turn. He was gone and out of sight by the next horn. He was in another world. Believe it or not I took third in that race. He passed everyone of us by the fourth of eight laps.

I raced at Laguna Seca as well. It was great then, but nothing like it is now. By the way. The bike I was racing was a limited edition Suzuki GS1000S. Wes Cooley replica.

Thanks for bring back those memories.
Mikengrace.

Mighty impressive!  Those are memories to savor.  Eddie Lawson has always been someone that impressed me.  He had no "theatrics", just rode the bike as well as it could be done.  Always analyzing and inventing.  His victory in the 88 GP was epic as well as his win at Daytona on the privateer Yamaha.  His winning back to back GP championships on the Yamaha and then Honda was a first.

• Premium Member
You know your race history. Yes those were real racers in those days. Not to take anything away from today's guys, but it was just the rider on an over powered ill handling bike. No electronics or computers., they could ride anything. Almost all of those guys, raced flat track and off road as well as road racing. Eddie even went on to a very good auto racing career in several different classes. Cars, trucks even formula type. Race cars. He could probably still beat all but a handful of today's riders.
Mikengrace.

Archived