Engine ticking in very hot conditions

I had the pleasure of sitting in a large amount of traffic the other day. was about 85 degrees out. Stop and go in 1st gear for about a half hour.
The temps on the bike kept going between 222 (When the fan kicked on) to about 212 (Fan kicks off). So the coolant stayed pretty hot for a while which in turn i'm sure brings the oil temp up.

After about 25 minutes of this the bike had a noticeable tick that changed with RPMs, i'm guessing the oil was getting too hot and stopped flowing as good to the lifters?
After cooling down over night it was fine again, but I'm just wondering if any sort of damage can be cause by the ticking as I'm guessing something wasn't getting lubricated properly from the prolonged heat.

Heat will expand metal and things get louse and start to tick. I also ride an air cooled bike and heat will make it sound noisier. Once you start moving it will cool down and shouldn't be a problem. I hear the ECU flash will make the fan come on sooner that might help. I'm in Cali so I don't wait for traffic, I split.

Guest bobh380
My bike gets this ticking too . Once the bike gets to about 90 degrees the ticking starts . It bugs the shi** out of me .It is due for its 1st oil change in a couple of days so will tell the dealer about it .
It's not something I would have expected in a new bike .

• Premium Member
Mine sounds more like a squeaky fan belt. Comes and goes with varying RPM. A mild annoyance to me, but not a show stopper.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

My bike gets this ticking too . Once the bike gets to about 90 degrees the ticking starts . It bugs the shi** out of me .It is due for its 1st oil change in a couple of days so will tell the dealer about it . It's not something I would have expected in a new bike .
Motorcycles make noise, that just the nature of the beast. Let us know what your dealer has to say about it. 

Guest bobh380
Yeah normal noise I get but this is not normal. If it was normal every Tracer would have it. It started after about 600 ks . It sounds like loose tappets in an old car .

• Premium Member
I don't hear the ticking so much but do hear a rattle when stopped and clutched in.  Figured it was the fan directly below.
clutch plates rattle a lot when not under load - quite common on bikes with wet clutches. Stick the bike in neutral and let the clutch out. The noise will go away as the oil pressure against the plates stops them rattling
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bobh380
Just had my bike in for its 1st service and asked about the ticking . The bike was ticking away like crazy until I got there and of course it stopped one minute from the workshop.He didn't hear the noise.
Mechanic reckons it was the valves expanding with the heat but couldn't answer why it was so random and why the noise would come and go .There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the ticking . I will take his word for it but at least I have informed them of the problem so if it becomes worse in the future there is a record of me having told them.It really bugs the sh$$ out of me . Its not a sound that goes with a healthy engine .The weird thing is there is a new vibration happening . The bike was pretty well vibration free until they changed the oil. I haven't had time to try and find the source yet.

Just had my bike in for its 1st service and asked about the ticking . The bike was ticking away like crazy until I got there and of course it stopped one minute from the workshop.He didn't hear the noise. Mechanic reckons it was the valves expanding with the heat but couldn't answer why it was so random and why the noise would come and go .There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the ticking . I will take his word for it but at least I have informed them of the problem so if it becomes worse in the future there is a record of me having told them.It really bugs the sh$$ out of me . Its not a sound that goes with a healthy engine .The weird thing is there is a new vibration happening . The bike was pretty well vibration free until they changed the oil. I haven't had time to try and find the source yet.
I'd suggest double checking the chain. Normal for them to inspect on first service. It may have been adjusted. From the factory, many feel the chain adjustment is too tight, I sure did. Owners and service manual specify tight spec chain adjustment. Very informative posts available on this subject here on the forum. 
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Guest bobh380
Just took the bike for a quick blast around my area to see if I could track down the vibration/noise
. Vibrations and noise seems to be coming from the cam chain tensioner area. The weird thing was that by the time I got back ,about 20 mins, the sound/vibration had stopped .
The other weird thing is the bike now sounds very different than before . I don't know if I am imagining it or not but its sounds better . Less tinny and not such a whining noise. I will try again tomorrow and see if sounds and feels the same .

Archived