Yamaha 50L Top Box

root

I received my Yamaha 50L Top Box earlier this week and have been able to use it for a couple days now. I got the backrest pad and the single key lock so I could key it to my ignition. I found my key uses a large number of the #2 tumblers and none of the #4. I had hoped to use the remaining portion of the kit to key saddle bag locks to the ignition as well. I hope I have enough of the #2 tumblers. If anyone is interested in trading #4 tumblers for #2, let me know. lol.

I rented a HD Ultra Limited last year for an extended weekend trip and that's the only bike I've used for any length of time that had a top box. Since that's the only baseline I have, I'll be using that as a comparison throughout this post. I do understand, I am comparing a top box that is integrally built into a full dressed touring bike to one designed for a light weight, budget sport touring bike. I do not have the expectation that they should be equal.

In general I don't like the look of top boxes.  This one seemed to match the bike the best of any top box I've come across though. The functionality of just pulling it on and off of the Yamaha top rack is super easy and very, very nice. For me, I think the top box is among the most useful thing's to put on a bike, even if it doesn't look all that good. It provides a nice spot to put things while riding, while gearing up to ride and while you run in somewhere. It has been much more convenient than the soft saddle bags I had, and in my experience with the HD, the top box got used more on the road than the hard saddle bags did because it was so much more convenient having a flat spot to work on, even if that work space leaned with the bike. In general, I put the stuff I didn't need very often or even until I got to my destination in the saddlebags. I was not able to find any top boxes for the FJ that were much bigger than the 50L Yamaha branded one. The HD Ultra Limited box is much larger than this 50L one. Even so, the 50L Yamaha case is plenty big enough for everything I need. The HD box also seemed a little better built and better thought out. It had a place to charge things pre-wired all into it, small bags inside attached to the walls of the case to store paperwork or small items that would get lost easily otherwise. If I remember right, it had a carpeted liner as well. As much as I like to bash HD, it was a very nice setup. The Yamaha top case is just a big plastic case and that's ok. The Yamaha latch to close and lock the case seems to close prematurely. This gives the illusion that the top case is closed and locked, but the latch was partially closed before the lid was closed so it just sits on top of the latch ready to flap in the wind.  You have to be very diligent about making sure it is actually closed by lifting the latch all the way before you close the lid and double checking that it actually latched after you take out the key. Also, you cannot latch the Yamaha case all the way closed without locking it. It fits our 2 full face helmets with Sena bluetooth modules on the side, but just barely.  You have to get them just right and push just ever so slightly on the lid to get it to close.  There's still some room in and around the helmets for little stuff if you really needed to, but I imagine this will go unused when I do use them for helmets as I will want them to be grab and go.

The lock was a little tricky to get all the tumblers in. You are supposed to have calipers to measure the key to figure out which tumblers to install where. I didn't have mine handy but I was able to eyeball it. The tumblers step up by 1 mm each. I figured the largest, which is #1, had to be the same width as the base of the key. From there, I was able to eyeball 1 mm increments to figure out the numerical pattern. It would have been nice if they provided a way to know the tumbler pattern from the key code of the bike. Actually installing the tumblers involved some detail work with tiny springs. It also involved a good amount of force to click them in place.

The back rest was a little unnerving to install as you have to take a drill to your brand new case. There are 3 circles with crosshairs on the inside of the case to mark where you are supposed to drill. The instructions indicate you need a 4.5mm drill bit.  I promptly went to the hardware store as I didn't have that bit at home. Once I got the drill bit, it was pretty easy to install. I just made sure my bit was dead center on the crosshairs and slowly drilled 3 holes. The plastic took little to no effort to get through with the drill bit. Once I had it drilled out, it was just 3 screws with some rubber washers to keep the water out.

I took my wife for a ride across town with the top case on and back rest installed. She very much appreciated a place to put her purse and also an area to work with when putting on her gear. First thing she said when she saw it was, "That's not as big as the one on the HD." Lol. She said the back pad was supportive but she wished it was softer. The pad is quite firm but not too bad. She likes everything super plush and soft though. With her only baseline as the HD top box and super soft seat, I kinda expected that comment from her. She has said, she doesn't think it matters how soft the seats are on a motorcycle, just sitting in one position, you need to get off every so often anyway. I can't say I disagree with that either. She commented that she was felt a lot more secure having something behind her.  She seemed to enjoy the ride more than she did before the box. I was able to drive more spirited than I had before and without her fear of falling off the back, driving more spirited made it more enjoyable for both of us.

I would like to investigate installing a brake light in it and adding a 12v plug to charge things as well with some sort of quick release wiring so I can still just grab and go. All in all, I am very happy with the top box. Certainly the most useful thing I've gotten so far for this bike.

I didn't really find it any cheaper. You also need to buy the lock. I already had the top rack that's also required. I got the lock I could key to the ignition. I got it a yamahagenuineparts.com they are in Canada. I wasn't able to find it in the states. I think some have had success getting it through a local dealer but I don't know how much they spent. The closest dealer is a 45 minute drive for me so I much prefer to order parts online especially if it has to be ordered. With the exchange rate, oversized shipping and all the parts I needed it was $399 USD. I've found for most Yamaha parts, yocracing.com is the cheapest I can find but they don't have the 50L box listed on their site.

I ordered my 50L top case from the dealer when I bought the bike. I negotiated a percentage off retail when I bought the bike with the accessories, but I paid $325 for mine, with the backrest pad and lock. The dealer was Waldoch Sports in Columbus (Forest Lake), MN.

As for the tumblers, you guys know you can file the long ones down so they are flush with the cylindrical lock cylinder, right? Furthermore, you don't *have* to have all 5 tumblers for the key to work. I was able to get 5 in all 3 (trunk and 2 cases), or mine, but I did have to file down 1 tumbler.

I do have some extra tumbler pins left over. I'll see if they're numbered.

When I re-keyed mine, I worked on a table top, with the tumblers on a tray with edges for parts containment. A small, precision flat blade screwdriver worked great to pop out and re-seat pins.

I ordered my 50L top case from the dealer when I bought the bike. I negotiated a percentage off retail when I bought the bike with the accessories, but I paid $325 for mine, with the backrest pad and lock. The dealer was Waldoch Sports in Columbus (Forest Lake), MN.  
As for the tumblers, you guys know you can file the long ones down so they are flush with the cylindrical lock cylinder, right? Furthermore, you don't *have* to have all 5 tumblers for the key to work. I was able to get 5 in all 3 (trunk and 2 cases), or mine, but I did have to file down 1 tumbler.

I do have some extra tumbler pins left over. I'll see if they're numbered.

When I re-keyed mine, I worked on a table top, with the tumblers on a tray with edges for parts containment. A small, precision flat blade screwdriver worked great to pop out and re-seat pins.
I know I can file it if I have to but it does make the lock less secure in my opinion as there is then a wider range that the tumbler is in the unlock position. If I have the choice to use the right tumblers, I'd like to do that. I'm not sure what tumblers I'll get with the other locks. I don't even have the side cases on order yet. I have 2 of the #2 tumblers left in my kit, but if the lock that I buy for the side bags doesn't have any #2 tumblers, I won't even have enough to key one lock correctly. I'm hearing rumors that the unpainted FJR bags are being discontinued so I may order them sooner than I had planned to though. If it comes down to buying another kit or filing down some tumblers, I will probably break out the file. But if I can acquire just the tumblers I need through a different source I would much rather do that, especially as I have a full pack of tumbler #4 I can offer as a trade. Just throwing out the feeler as I'm not even sure I'll need them yet. If anyone does have a pack of #2 and is in need of #4 I will do the trade before I know if I need the #2 as I already know I don't need the #4.

I understand what you're saying about an unfiled tumbler being slightly more secure than a non-filed tumbler, but remember what lock we are dealing with here.  This is a lock that secures a plastic case, via fairly cheap plastic and a stamped metal locking tang.

I suspect I could break into my locked sidecases with my bare hands, if I needed/wanted to do so.

Anyway, I'll look at my remaining tumblr pins, as I have no use for them.

I understand what you're saying about an unfiled tumbler being slightly more secure than a non-filed tumbler, but remember what lock we are dealing with here.  This is a lock that secures a plastic case, via fairly cheap plastic and a stamped metal locking tang. 
I suspect I could break into my locked sidecases with my bare hands, if I needed/wanted to do so.

Anyway, I'll look at my remaining tumblr pins, as I have no use for them.
That thought had crossed my mind.  I could be out of line.  It could have a lot to do with this is the first vehicle, car or bike, I've bought brand new and I want it to stay "perfect" for as long as possible.  It probably wouldn't add any "real security" to the case, but I would know it wasn't perfect.  Call me crazy, because I am. 
Thanks for taking a look.  I'm not certain I'll need them yet so there's no rush.

• 1 month later...
Hi, any cahnce you can post some pictures of the 50lt box. I am between the Shad sh45 and the Yamaha you have.

Honestly, I'm way too lazy. I'm not too lazy to use a search function though.

http://fj-09.org/thread/1004?page=1

http://fj-09.org/thread/2285/shots-last-night

I promise, mine looks the same. I have the back pad as shown in one of the links, but it looked just like the one shown without until I put it on I swear.

Thanks. Are you happy with the quality of it and the latch?
I'm happy with it. You can read in the original post about the quirks of the latch. Once I got used to it, it wasn't an issue. I've been happy with the Yamaha accessories so far. They seem pretty good and look like they are supposed to be there when they are on the bike. The luggage comes off super easy when you want it to but seems solid when latched. The bike looks clean both with the luggage on and off.

Archived