Ohlins Rear Shock

ogri

Fanowater, Please give us a review on the AK 20's.
Did you also do rear shock.
Thanks
RC

The AK-20's are excellent.  Traxxion's recommended base settings were spot on!.  I had them installed by Catalyst Reaction in San Carlos.  They were fast and did a good job.On our local Sonoma County roads - which are horrific, lumpy, bumpy junk, the springs are much too strong.  Once I get to my favorite roads which are in good shape, the springs make sense and the bike is a total joy.The Penske 8983 is also superb, but too stiff for my local roads, perfect on smoother roads and on the highway. I highly recommend both, but should warn you it was hard to find a perfect spot for the remote reservoir on the Penske.  This is how I mounted it, but if I used the passenger pegs it might have been in the way.http://s296.photobucket.com/user/daleh627/media/Penske%20mounted_zpsyslznsr9.jpg.html?o=6
Cheers

That's not a bad place compared to what we came up with as of today. Still working on it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
The AK-20's are excellent.  Traxxion's recommended base settings were spot on!.  I had them installed by Catalyst Reaction in San Carlos.  They were fast and did a good job.On our local Sonoma County roads - which are horrific, lumpy, bumpy junk, the springs are much too strong.  Once I get to my favorite roads which are in good shape, the springs make sense and the bike is a total joy.The Penske 8983 is also superb, but too stiff for my local roads, perfect on smoother roads and on the highway. I highly recommend both, but should warn you it was hard to find a perfect spot for the remote reservoir on the Penske.  This is how I mounted it, but if I used the passenger pegs it might have been in the way.http://s296.photobucket.com/user/daleh627/media/Penske%20mounted_zpsyslznsr9.jpg.html?o=6
Cheers

That's not a bad place compared to what we came up with as of today. Still working on it.
Here's how I mounted mine, nary a problem. 4018899.jpg 

• Premium Member
This is what I did. Not in the way at all, but looks a bit awkward.
[attachment id=223" thumbnail="1]

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
This is what I did. Not in the way at all, but looks a bit awkward. 

Which model did you install?
Kind of off topic in an Ohlins thread, but the Penske 8983. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...
How do you like the new Elka shock? Can you start a new thread with a review??
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

How do you like the new Elka shock? Can you start a new thread with a review??
Will do.

Here's how I mounted mine, nary a problem. [attachment thumbnail=1" id="202]

That is the best I've seen the penskee resivoir mounted. Did you just fab up a custom bracket?
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

Certainly a lower cost alternative to some of the alternative solutions that I have explored. The bike is way better than my old Triumph Tiger 900, but takes some effort to stay level entering corners under high braking.
you don't want to be "level" on corner entry.  you want fork dive.  the forks compressing = making your wheelbase shorter = reducing your trail = better turning ability. 
brakes for decreasing radius and throttle to increase the radius of your turn.

Fanowater, Please give us a review on the AK 20's.
Did you also do rear shock.
Thanks
RC

Cheers

nice!  my best friend, tomas, was the one that installed those for you. :D  he was telling me about it, and that i should do the same to my FJ. :D

• Premium Member
Here's how I mounted mine, nary a problem.

That is the best I've seen the penskee resivoir mounted. Did you just fab up a custom bracket?
Yep, Ace Hardware 1/8" X 3/4" X 3' flat steel. A couple of cuts with the angle grinder and put the top of the passenger footrest on it to get the holes lined up, drill'em, bend the top down to make the angle, paint it and your'e in bidness.... 

Certainly a lower cost alternative to some of the alternative solutions that I have explored. The bike is way better than my old Triumph Tiger 900, but takes some effort to stay level entering corners under high braking.
you don't want to be "level" on corner entry.  you want fork dive.  the forks compressing = making your wheelbase shorter = reducing your trail = better turning ability. 
brakes for decreasing radius and throttle to increase the radius of your turn.
The Triumph Tiger 900 was bad and dived like a submarine. Just my riding style, but I don't like entering corners too nose down and will use the rear break if I feel that too much weight is on the front tire. Compressing the forks changes the steering geometry, but I don't comprehend how it makes the wheel base shorter. I prefer to trail off the brakes early. Maybe I'm just a wuss! 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

Yep, Ace Hardware 1/8" X 3/4" X 3' flat steel. A couple of cuts with the angle grinder and put the top of the passenger footrest on it to get the holes lined up, drill'em, bend the top down to make the angle, paint it and your'e in bidness....

Perfect, ill bust out the dremel tool and see what i can do. What length hose did you get the shock with, or was it just the statdard length?
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

Archived