Ohlins Rear Shock

ogri

The front wheel travels back as it goes up in the stroke of the fork, due to the angle of rake.
Ok, so trail decreases as well as contact patch distance as the rake angle decreases upon front end compression. Right? 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The front wheel travels back as it goes up in the stroke of the fork, due to the angle of rake.
Ok, so trail decreases as well as contact patch distance as the rake angle decreases upon front end compression. Right?
Well, I certainly wouldn't want anyone to confuse me with a chassis setup expert.  I don't think the rake angle is ever decreased--as it is fixed by the steering head and triples--that angle is constant.  But, since the forks are set at an angle (rake), then when the wheel travels up, it also travels rearward, hence shortening the wheelbase. 

Well, I certainly wouldn't want anyone to confuse me with a chassis setup expert.  I don't think the rake angle is ever decreased--as it is fixed by the steering head and triples--that angle is constant.  But, since the forks are set at an angle (rake), then when the wheel travels up, it also travels rearward, hence shortening the wheelbase. 

Not an expert myself. Just trying to think through the dynamics. Since the bike is tilted forward under braking, the trail must decrease slightly, even though the steering head angle is fixed. With the build up of leaves and pine straw on the roads where i live, i will be cornering very carefully for the next few months. 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Premium Member
Yep, Ace Hardware 1/8" X 3/4" X 3' flat steel. A couple of cuts with the angle grinder and put the top of the passenger footrest on it to get the holes lined up, drill'em, bend the top down to make the angle, paint it and your'e in bidness....
Perfect, ill bust out the dremel tool and see what i can do. What length hose did you get the shock with, or was it just the statdard length?
Standard length as far as I know. At the time I ordered, I didn't know there was a length option. Good luck, and be sure and post the results.  

Yes. under (front) braking, the front end dives. Forks compress. Rake becomes steeper. Wheel base shortens.

Under load, tire squishes, contact patch becomes bigger = winning.

I work with top level US instructors and racers at the race track about 10+ days per month. You know, guys like Scott Russell, Ben Spies, Bradley Smith, blah blah blah.

• Premium Member
Yes. under (front) braking, the front end dives. Forks compress. Rake becomes steeper. Wheel base shortens.  

I work with top level US instructors and racers at the race track about 10+ days per month. You know, guys like Scott Russell, Ben Spies, Bradley Smith, blah blah blah.
Bradley's voice might get a bit loud and squeaky if you call him American :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Bradley's voice might get a bit loud and squeaky if you call him American :)

Haha. I wondered if anyone would catch that. I worked with YCRS for 7 years shooting photos, videos, and getting to play motorcycles. He's been a guest instructor to the school.

Archived