Sign in to follow this  
pattonme

Fork damping and internals Upgrade

NOTE !!  The above poll should have read 'I would prefer to have a DIY kit' vs the full-service offering detailed below. The DIY kits are not available yet (planned for Septermber) as well the kit prices are estimates and subject to change. A 'no' vote means you are interested in the full-service offering.

For the FZ09 owners it's a fix for the incredibly poorly done OEM valving. For the FJ09, it's more an upgrade in suspension performance and valve shim stack to match your weight and spring choice.

I've created high-flow cartridge pistons that lend themselves to better performance in SFF (Single-Function fork) applications. They are similar to RaceTech aftermarket pistons (eg. FSGV and FRGV-S02) but with larger orifices. Better flow means the valving is better able to do it's job, which leads to better bump compliance for more control and better traction.

Edit: the following has been superseded by http://fj-09.org/post/27415/thread

For $235 I send back your forks ready to bolt on and ride with:

[ul type=disc][*]2 pistons with tailored shim stack installed[*]new fork bolt (1) with needle inside for adjusting slow-speed Compression circuit[*][span style=background-color:transparent]new fork oil (Maxima Racing 7w)[/span]
[*]new fork oil seals[*]return ground shipping within CONUS[/ul]
Options:
[ul type=disc][*]Red Line suspension fluids - $15[*]Sonic springs - $75[*]Traxxion's AK-20 fork caps - $250 (hand-shake deal, may need changes on my end)[*]
[*][span style=background-color:transparent]Complete 4-valve upgrade - $75+ (still in R&D)[/span][/ul][span]    [/span][span]    This activates the "dead" leg by adding 2 more pistons with their respective valving
[span]    [/span][span]    and replacing the bolt as above. Worst case this may require substituting a donor
[span]    [/span][span]    (typically Showa cartridge from GSXR) for the Kayaba innards.[/span] Modifying or replacing
[span]    [/span][span]    [/span]the fork cap(s) and retrofitting for rebound [span]adjustment will add to price.
[/span][/span][/span][ul type=disc][*]
[*]Proper Single-Function (SFF) design - $? (preliminary)[/ul][span]    [/span][span]    Add the second rebound piston, needle, activation rod and the fully-featured Yamaha fork cap ($135 !!!).
[span]    [/span][span]    [/span]This means all Comp and Reb adjustments can be made from the convenience of the cockpit with simple
[/span][span]    [/span][span]    wrench and screwdriver. More cost effective to have new fork caps made for about $70/pair.[/span]

I use Paypal's invoice system for working up estimates and final billing.

Turn around is 2-3 business days.

I've been granted discount pricing on All-Balls-Racing products (20-30% off bearings, seals, bushings) but only in conjunction with a related order (doesn't have to be for the FZ/FJ09 though) and in personal-use quantities. 

Where were you a few months ago? I already spent my money on new cartridges, but think your solution will be just as good. A nice solution for a great price should net you many orders.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I still have my stock internals and stock rear if you want to play around with them.

How do I order? I'm in for a DIY kit for sure.

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

The DIY option isn't available just yet. I'm sorry I should have made that more clear. I've gotten burnt offering it "too soon" in the past; either the installer did something silly or there being confusion over some of the tasks. The survey question was to gauge interest and propose a price point which I hope to offer in the near future. The results of DIY really do depend on the skill of the installer and I would like to remove as much variability and document the process extensively before giving it the green light.

So right now the offering is just the full service install. PM me with your email address so I can send you an quote to review.

I'll very likely send you my forks in December. I'm very interested in getting the high speed compression damping sorted; stock is too harsh for me.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Heh, you guys who want DIY have *NO* idea what you're getting yourselves into.

The cartridge base is lock-tite'd in (at least Blue, and probably Red) plus you have to contend with (admittedly still mild) Galvanic corrosion because the factory wanted to save a measly dollar. You have to use a blow-torch and get the end good and smoking before it'll let go. Good idea to wrap a sopping wet towel upstream of the threads. I had one end held in my 6" lathe chuck as tight as it would grip and the other end an 18mm open box wrench.

Plus you're going to need a fork spring compressor, a vise with non-damaging tube-holding jaws, and a ratchet strap (or extra set of hands) to get at the nut that's up against the fork cap. All because Kayaba et.al. are f'ing idiots. The spring spacer could and should have been cut into 2 pieces, the lower one say 5-10mm longer than the height of the nut when spun all the way down. Then all you need is very mild force to wedge a wrench between the pieces instead of being forced to put at least an inch worth of compression into the very angry spring.

But to get at the rebound piston you have to remove the fluid stop which requires a thin (3mm wide) 19mm open box wrench.

They couldn't design it to be more DIY-unfriendly.

Taking apart right-side up GSXR forks (only Yamaha persists in this fluid lock crap on the rebound shaft) is child's play.

The thin 19mm open wrench can be either an V8 tools 811819 ($4+) or a Cone wrench (eg. Park Tool SCW-19). I'm guessing those of you wanting DIY I should add the tool as part of the kit...