Shock upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

Please comment for additions and fixes. I will update as often as I can.

All prices on the first line of a product reflect known or approximate MSRP. All other prices reflect value at the time of posting but do not include shipping, credit card or merchant fees, and may be subject to currency fluctuations. They are a guide only and not necessarily a final, quoted price.

Forum vendors are highlighted in BOLD

OE spring is 7 11/16" long, 56mm ID ==> Eibach 0800.225.0550  

Ohlins YA335 (S46DR1) aka Parts Unlimited 1310-1148: $575
Length 329mm, Stroke 65mm, Rate 95N/mm=9.7kg/mm=542lb/in
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : $575 (shipping, Paypal and "gift card" included)
[*]Omnia Racing[span style=background-color:transparent] (Italy) : E465[/span]
[*]58 Cycle : $634
[/ul]
Ohlins YA535 (S46HR1C1) aka Andreani Group SKU (1511): $1100
  remote reservoir, compression, rebound, preload
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : $1100 (shipping, Paypal and "gift card" included)[*]Andreani Group (Italy)[*]
[/ul]

Penske Sport aka 8900E (PS-89xx-FZ09): $695
Penske 8983 (2-way) : $950
Penske 8987 (3-way) : $1250
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]StolecMoto : as above[*]Traxxion Dynamics[/ul]

Elka stage 2 : $599
Elka stage 4 : $799
Elka stage 5 : $999
  product info, It seems they have exited the MC market

Matris MY117.1KD : E530 / $560
[ul type=disc][*]PJ's Parts : $573[*]Forks-by-Matt : $500[*]CarpiMoto (Italy) : E424[/ul]

Matris MY117.1KF : E920 / $980
[ul type=disc][*]PJ's Parts : $994[*]Forks-by-Matt : $825[*]CarpiMoto (Italy) : E736[/ul]

K-tech RAZR-R (279S-014-270-020) : $795
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : $700[*]Orient Express[span style=background-color:transparent] [/span]
[*]Computrack Boston : $715[/ul]

JRi 350 Pro : $699
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : $570[*]
[/ul]
JRi Double : $985
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : $860
[/ul]
JRi Triple: $1299
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : inquire[*]
[/ul]

Hyperpro YA09-6AD (model 466): $569
  emulsion, no length adjuster
  Rebound, Preload

Hyperpro YA09-1AD (model 461): $749
  product info, 5yr warranty, free 1st rebuild
  Comp, Rebound, Preload
  remote-preload strongly suggested ($200)
  length adjustment ($70)
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : $485 / 640[*]
[/ul]

Hyperpro Streetbox (SB-YA09-6AD): $699+
  product info
  model 466 shock, fork springs, and fork oil with preload, clicker and ride height recommendations for baseline 180lb rider

Hyperpro_FZ-09-300x225.jpg
[ul type=disc][*]http://www.epmperf.com/ Klaus Huenecke; info@epmperf.com; Phone: 732-786-9777[*]http://hyperpro.com/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/10/Hyperpro-Shockabsorbers.pdf
[/ul]

Wilburs 640-1133-00 : $619
  product info, 5yr warranty
  emulsion, no length adjuster

Wilburs 641-1133-00 : $849
  product info, 5yr warranty
  Comp, Rebound, Length, Preload
  avail in -30mm, w/ RPS

[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : pending[*]Wilbers USA[*]http://wilbersamerica.com/[*]http://www.epmperf.com/[/ul]

Nitron Sport (NTR1, BKY 55S) : $699
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : $650[*]Norwest Suspension
[/ul]
Nitron Track (NTR2, BKY 55T) : $1050
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : $1000[*]Norwest Suspension[*]ProPilot Suspension[*]Nitron Racing Shocks[*]BikeHPS (UK)[/ul]
Nitron Race (NTR3, BKY 55R) : $1200
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : $1075[*]BikeHPS (UK)[/ul]
Nitron Race Pro (NTR4, BKY 55?) : <price>
  product info
[ul type=disc][*]
[/ul]

Hagon M620?? : $350
    Adjustable rebound and customized spring
[ul type=disc][*]http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=M620??[*]http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/[/ul]

YSS <model> : $499
    Adjustable rebound but no spring customization (go 3rd party)
[ul type=disc][*]http://yssusa.com[*]http://epmperf.com[/ul]

Cogent Dynamics : $639
  product info, forum post

Norwest Rebuild : $250-350
[ul type=disc][*]Forks-by-Matt : http://fj-09.org/thread/2876/rebuilt-zx6-zx10-shock-services[/ul]

From a purely length, stroke, and spring-rate standpoint the following are swap candidates. HOWEVER!! the clevis and reservoir location may preclude their use without significant alterations.

[ul type=disc][*]TBD[/ul][ul type=disc][*][span style=font-size:medium;background-color:transparent]
[/span][*][span style=font-size:medium;background-color:transparent][span style=font-size:16px;background-color:transparent]
[/span]
[/span][/ul]

• Thumbsup 1

Is the FJ shock the same length/fitment as the FZ?
If looking at retailer cross-references is sufficiently accurate, the answer is yes. Model YA335 for both. A lot of very naive people just slap in shocks without paying any attention to spring rate, valving, and stroke. Not saying these ZX or other shocks aren't a match (will need to dig up that FZ09 post) but if you do go that route, make sure to check ALL aspects of the fitment and spend the ~$200 to get it fully serviced.

• Premium Member
Is the FJ shock the same length/fitment as the FZ?
If looking at retailer cross-references is sufficiently accurate, the answer is yes. Model YA335 for both. A lot of very naive people just slap in shocks without paying any attention to spring rate, valving, and stroke. Not saying these ZX or other shocks aren't a match (will need to dig up that FZ09 post) but if you do go that route, make sure to check ALL aspects of the fitment and spend the ~$200 to get it fully serviced.
Thanks! 
I always have shocks rebuilt/re-valved and re-sprung when I am swapping them onto my bikes. I'm north of 215lbs geared up, and there isn't much off the shelf that is setup for me.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me the stock rear spring dimensions? I.E. 7 in x 2 I.D.

I think this the right place? I would like to just change out my spring, I did this on my 2002 FZ1 and rode it like that for 80K+ worked great.
I think a 700 lbs like on the FZ1.
I am a big dude (265 lbs) I ride two up most of the time and camp off the bike. B

• Premium Member
Can anyone tell me the stock rear spring dimensions? I.E. 7 in x 2 I.D.  
I think this the right place? I would like to just change out my spring, I did this on my 2002 FZ1 and rode it like that for 80K+ worked great.
I think a 700 lbs like on the FZ1.
I am a big dude (265 lbs) I ride two up most of the time and camp off the bike. B
Just happen to have one laying on the garage floor.....7 inches by 56mm id. Would give it to you all metric, but my mike doesn't go past 6 inches. 

@brprider, why a 700lb/in spring? If 'baseline' is 550, that's one heck of a step up. I could believe a 600 or maybe 625 if you're a 250+lb rider. What spring calculator spit out that number?

Unless you can show the linkage ratios are the same what some other bike uses for spring rate is utterly irrelevant.

The bike weight is about the same as the fz1 was and the load is the same me 265 my girl 160 camping gear 85 lbs. Everyone said 700 was to big last time but it worked great. Later I found out friends had gone to 750 and 800. I think I would be ok at 650 and I may go that way. so stock is 550?

this is the O.G. spring info for the FZ1http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49139

stock on the FZ09 and (reasonably sure) FJ09 is 550. 

Racetech claims the FZ1 came stock with 12.0kg/mm == 670lb/in stock. So when you put 500lbs of rider and gear on that subframe (was it even rated for that kind of weight?) you only went up to a 700 spring? I would agree with your other forum members, a 750 isn't unreasonable.

The only thing the FZ1 has in common with the FZ/FJ09 is the sticker that says Yamaha on it.

If you're going to put the same 500lbs on the FJ I'd carefully read the weight limit disclosure. And if I had to guess, a 650 spring.

that's the 06 or newer, FZ1 my bike was the 02. rear was set up for 130 lbs rider if I remember right.
REAR SHOCK SPRINGS
Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 16.835 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 7.6 kg/mm (stock)

as far as the rating. when you weight 265 some times you need to make it work.
Now would you tell your girl she cant ride? well we are just to heavy but I am ok with out you safety and all honey.
they say I can't ride a wheelie but I turn that TCS off.
My rack said I can only put 5 lbs on it. if I put the box on I am over the limit. than I put some junk in that trunk.
the rating is for liability.

FZ1 and FJ09
128hp 115hp
500lbs 462lbs wet
power to weight ratio:
.0256 .0248
26,000 mile valve adjustment
miles to a tank are about the same
for me its as close as I could find to my 2002 fz1 low end power and handling

thanks for posting the good info but lets not muddy up this up.

I ordered a 650lbs spring today. see how that works.

There is something VERY wrong with RT's shock spring calculator for the FZ1. Either the OEM rate isn't remotely right or the formula is wrong. I compared with a Triumph 1050 and was also getting surprising rates even at low rider weight so either the leverage ratio is incredible or the formula for that one is wrong too. It wouldn't be the first time.

I would ask Penske/Traxxion for their input. I would believe something on the order of 20% stiffer rate for every 100lbs over 150.