Shock upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

7.11/16 x 2.20. this is off the shock.  to replace it it will need a collar to space up the 7 inch spring or go with a 8 inch a collar will be needed to center the spring 

I ordered a hyperco coil 7x2.25x650 lbs $75 shipped. this was to short. I am having a friend make me a collar so it will fit. to do over I would order a 8 inch spring.

if you try it you do so at your own risk. I am just a redneck with a beer thinking out loud.

I don't think there's any "muddying" things up by looking at a specific bike and saying there's no direct comparison especially between a FZ1 and FJ-09.  Suspensions are usually pretty specific.  Rear linkages are pretty specific as is swing arm length, wheelbase, ...front suspensions are even more finicky.   Overall the front and rear have to be balanced, not only in how they are sprung, but how they are damped as well...

One easy way to get a feeling is to call someone who actually knows suspension and getting a recommendation.  I would call Traxxion Dynamics ...tell them real numbers, weight, passenger weight, gear weight, luggage and give them a description how you ride (mostly trackdays, touring, agressive sport-touring) and they can get pretty spot for front springs and rear spring on your bike's fork/shock combo.  

In my experience (well over 100+K miles on the track and street--work on my own bike but I am no professional suspension mechanic) it pays to not guess too much and let those who study, sell, fix, maintian and upgrade suspensions give me a good starting point...I tweak things from there.    The times I've got in trouble and muddied the waters is where I took a WAG from the get go...based on a pure guess.  YMMV and you're welcome to "try" it.  Who knows you could get lucky by assuming the suspension of a FZ1 is darned close to the FJ-09...but maybe not.  Best of luck. Keep the rubber side down.

Matt

• 2 months later...
Wilbers information (from Klaus at Wilbers USA).

Model 640: adjustable rebound and preload (threaded adjuster)
$619 from Wibers USA

Model 641: adjustable rebound, high and low speed compression, preload (threaded adjuster).
$849 from Wilbers USA

Remote hydraulic preload is not available.

Hyperpro information (also from Klaus, he's a dealer):

Model 466: adjustable rebound, preload (threaded)
$709

Model 461: rebound, high and low compression, preload (threaded)
$959

Both can take a remote hydraulic adjuster for $269

461 can be had with a length adjuster either +- 5mm or 0-10mm.

Comes with coupon for 1st service free.  Made to order per weight/riding style.
Springs are purple or titanium black. 

They also have a Streetbox package for $699 with a model 466 set up for 180lb rider, progressive fork springs and oil.

Pic of 461 on an FZ-09:

Hyperpro_FZ-09-300x225.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Just sharing some information, i enquired about the bitubo xze 31/32 from bitubo themselves and i was told that it is not compatible with the FJ-09 or Tracer even if it is coompatible with the FZ-09 or MT-09 (http://www.bitubo.com/road_ammortizzatori.php). Not sure why.

The Hyperpro shocks are good but will require the HPA for setting up the preload, i think.

The Ohlins S46DR1 comes with the 'S' guise to include the HPA (S46DR1S). I tried to find the price for the hydraulic adjuster by itself, since it could be fitted retrospectively, but no luck.

• Premium Member
Many people describe the high speed wobble and I've seen some feedback from owners that claim they fixed it via a suspension upgrade. I don't doubt the value of a suspension upgrade, the Tracer does not have the plushest of suspensions and especially on poorly maintained B roads in the UK it can get somewhat harsh. But will it really solve the head shake problem? I have not seen anyone really describe why, on a smooth motorway the suspension would cause acceleration to induce head shake. Overly soft damping would exaggerate I'm sure. Can everyone that had their suspensions upgraded please comment; did it really stop the phenomenon?

• Premium Member
Many people describe the high speed wobble and I've seen some feedback from owners that claim they fixed it via a suspension upgrade. I don't doubt the value of a suspension upgrade, the Tracer does not have the plushest of suspensions and especially on poorly maintained B roads in the UK it can get somewhat harsh. But will it really solve the head shake problem? I have not seen anyone really describe why, on a smooth motorway the suspension would cause acceleration to induce head shake. Overly soft damping would exaggerate I'm sure. Can everyone that had their suspensions upgraded please comment; did it really stop the phenomenon?
Johan, I have had my bike with upgraded suspension on the track and only had a slight wiggle when shifting from 4th to 5th going well over 100. I think I shifted at 110, but I don't really remember. I have had no had shake issues riding on the street since the modifications. I am not a racer, but ride at a very moderate pace. Well worth the money IMO. Oh, lean forwarded when going fast, it helps loads which would imply that the front end gets very light at speed. Fluffy individuals report zero head shake.  
  • Thumbsup 1
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Johan, I have had my bike with upgraded suspension on the track and only had a slight wiggle when shifting from 4th to 5th going well over 100. I think I shifted at 110, but I don't really remember. I have had no had shake issues riding on the street since the modifications. I am not a racer, but ride at a very moderate pace. Well worth the money IMO. Oh, lean forwarded when going fast, it helps loads which would imply that the front end gets very light at speed. Fluffy individuals report zero head shake.
Thanks, with your style of riding, did the ride also improve noticeably - less harsh/crash through bumps and potholes etc?

• Premium Member
Thanks, with your style of riding, did the ride also improve noticeably - less harsh/crash through bumps and potholes etc?
Yes, much improved. My friends that rode my bike have just upgraded theirs due to the way mine felt to them. I love my mods. Is there better, probably, but just fine for me. I have had sportbikes with an Ohlins, and 3 with a Penske, and it always improved the ride, but not to total plushness, as I like it a little taunt. I can smooth things out for touring, or for the twisties, but usually just leave it in the twisties mode. Not a cheap mod, but if you have a couple of quid burning a hole in your pocket, take the plunge.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
@pattonme, since here in the UK we can't use your service I'd appreciate some advice please; the popular options we get in the UK for upgrades are either Andreani or Ohlins cartridge kits, plus the Ohlins S46DR1 shock.

Obviously Nitron's shocks are also available. I have heard that Nitron is also bringing out a cartridge kit.

What is the difference between the standard Andreani and Ohlins cartridges (except price)?

I appreciate that Ohlins is a quality product, but it seems to me the Nitron NTR R2 is better value for money - what is your opinion? I don't need remote preload adustment.

Are you referring to the Ohlins NIX-30, @johan? From a superficial stance they are the 'same' in that they are both 2-piston designs. I haven't yet held the Ohlins in my hands but I would expect the quality of the components and the end results are noticeably better than the Andreani. They better be or Ohlins has really lost the plot.

Ohlins USED TO BE a quality product. It's gone down hill and especially so on their not top-line stuff.

I don't know what the pricing looks like over there but I would give a hard look at the Matris F12Y124S. It's priced here between the Andreani and Ohlins and I've dealt with their FZ07 product which aside from a silly mistake was very well done and a clear step above Andreani in materials and craftsmanship.

I have 2 sets of forks for my use so I plan on doing some back to back comparo. Question is do I want to shell out the grand to do my own evaluation. (OT: anyone have a media contact just itching for a suspension comparo for the FZ/FJ09 and would bank roll the effort?)

The Ohlins YA335 isn't worth bothering with, IMO. Get the Nitron or Matris MY117.1KF. Once/when Ohlins releases their remote-reservoir shock with all the farkles then sure give it a look but I expect it'll be a lot more money. I thought Penske was available over there. I don't think JRi has a presence and it might make sense to have one shipped from US to a channel island?