Shock upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

• Supporting Member
@pattonme I need yours and others advice 
Which shock and fork internals are best for the money?
It depends on your budget. What’s the best for $300 and what’s the best for $3,000 are completely valid questions for different people.  If you were to ask what is the best upgrade for the least amount of money, I personally would recommend starting with springs that match your weight. 
Around $200 front and back, plus installation if you don’t have the proper tools. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Personally I had @pattonme (forum vendor) build me replacement cartridges, less than $500 including shipping. For the shock, I bought a Penske from Traxxion Dynamics during their Black Friday sale for $850 shipped. The bike is a magic carpet ride! Plush in the harsh stuff and taught in the fun stuff.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@sheridan, do you like to tweak/experiment or once set leave things be? Do you change your load-out a lot? are you taking the bike to the track?

For 1200:
* Andreani + Ktech Razor Lite or Ntrion NTR1
* my in-house + Nitron NTR2 or K-Tech Razor

@pattonme thank you for shocks. I'll google for them.

I read this forum and know that you are doing great cartridges which are better than Andreani. Do you think we can make it? I'm the farest forum's person to Canada, I think. I'm in Ukraine.

oops, forgot to answer your questions. I prefer to set and forget. sometimes I have my 50kg girlfriend with me. i do track as an beginner, but my real track is european twisties. and the main problem which I need to solve is light wobbling (shimmi) at 160 kmh

I gave the Andreani option (suitably modified) to give you a fully commercial option to maximize the price point. Your local currency situation will change the price and I don't know how customs/duty works. I can send you the upgrade parts for either the Andreani or my in-house and you or your mechanic will have to do the work.

• 3 weeks later...
I put an FZ-09 rear shock on my FJ-09 and what a difference. Apparently, Yamaha over damped the rear of the FJ. Now my bike doesn't beat the heck out of me. Just for reference, when dressed to ride I weigh 190 lbs.and my bike has the factory saddlebags. I set the sag at 35% of total travel with me on the bike, a full tank of gas and tankbag, etc.

depends WHICH year FZ09 you used, but the problem with the 2015+ XSR/FJ is that Yam added 5-6mm more preload to the shock but did nothing useful with it otherwise. The damping pretty much blows all around no matter which year, but the 2014 FZ09 was atrocious. at 190lbs you're still riding around on the 95N/mm spring when you really should have a 100 but it's not like you're way off.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I tried to physically install a Zx 10r shock on my wife’s gt900. It won’t fit. It looks like it is going to but the resivour fouls on the top of the engine case. With out moving it is tight. I can only imagine once riding what it would do. But I do have an idea and will share it once I try it and see what we can do.

• 1 year later...

I've been searching for various suspension  updates on my bike but for the rear shock I had decided to go for a low end aftermarket unit (Wilbers, Ohlins etc.) without hydraulic preload. I don't ride with passenger so I only need to set sag once.

I've just realised though that the preload ring on most of the shocks might be unreachable when the shock is fitted, as it is always on the top of the shock body.

Well, that's a problem....