Sign in to follow this  
pattonme

Shock upgrades and compatible swaps

1 hour ago, lospsi said:

I've just realised though that the preload ring on most of the shocks might be unreachable when the shock is fitted, as it is always on the top of the shock body.

It's reachable but awkward. I can make about 1/8 turn at a time. View from the rear tire. If I sit behind the bike, I can alternately work the wrench from the left and right. 

1120201641.jpg

2 hours ago, lospsi said:

I've been searching for various suspension  updates on my bike but for the rear shock I had decided to go for a low end aftermarket unit (Wilbers, Ohlins etc.) without hydraulic preload. I don't ride with passenger so I only need to set sag once.

I've just realised though that the preload ring on most of the shocks might be unreachable when the shock is fitted, as it is always on the top of the shock body.

Well, that's a problem....

Buy a shock with preload adjuster on the bottom... having it inaccessible on the top would be a no-go for me.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

10 hours ago, betoney said:

Buy a shock with preload adjuster on the bottom... having it inaccessible on the top would be a no-go for me.

Yes, I agree that it's a problem but to pay extra money for a one-time adjustment is a bit to much for me. I could well buy the better version of any shock with compression and rebound.

That said, I haven't seen any shock to have the preload on the bottom. Ohlins has rings at the bottom but there's too little room to adjust.