DRL questions regarding wiring.

stringman

Hi all,
I have decided I want to install some DRL on the new crash bars. In an ideal situation I would like them to be wired up so that I can have them wired up via a switch on the bars but also linked to the high beam.So that in normal riding  I can choose if they are on or off, but if I put the high(full) beams on they automatically come on regardless of the switch.Is this possible?
I was thinking of powering the lights via a relay  with the main live from the battery and the switched live from the a suitable supply via the handlebar switch.for the high beam live I would take this  from the high beam feed itself. But in order to stop the two feeds  "interfering" with each other  would I need to put diodes in line? or are there such things as relays with two switched lives?
Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated

• Premium Member
I don't think you'll have any trouble splicing into the high beam for the switched side of the relay, unless there's wacky canbus stuff happening. Light power can come hot (but fused) from the battery through the relay, as you say. For the switched side, simply splice into the high beam and run that through your new switch on its way to the relay.

Keithu

Thanks for the reply. Now either I don't understand your answer or I haven't really made myself clear as to what I want to achieve. (I suspect the latter.)

so the main power will come fused from the battery via the relay. then what I was hoping was a switched live feed that just comes off any ignition live so that I can choose to have the lights on or off when riding.

But I also want another live feed to come in from the high beam so that even if I have the lights switched off but I flash the high beams the DRLs come on
does that make a bit more sense?

That makes sense what you are attempting to do. Let me say it back to make sure we are on the same page:
-you want to splice into the 12v feed when the high beam is switched on, so it activates the coil side of a relay, which will then switch to flowing power from the battery connection to power your light?

The problem is that the LED headlights operate on 24-26v, which is stepped up from 12v based on a signal from the ecu, via the headlight switch.

If you hack into this circuit I would be very careful where you pull the signal for your relay.

See here and read a service manual for more info:
http://fj-09.org/thread/1495/cut-main-beam-switch

Skip

• Premium Member
Ah, now I understand. So you always want them in with the high beams, and sometimes on with the low beams, right? That does complicate things a bit. Perhaps the way to make that work is with two parallel relays. One relay is closed by the high beam circuit, and the other is closed by your custom switch. Either relay can send power to the lights.

• Premium Member
The problem is that the LED headlights operate on 24-26v, which is stepped up from 12v based on a signal from the ecu, via the headlight switch.
So long as you get a relay that is rated for 26v it should work. But yes, you don't want to mix that 24-26v line with a different voltage.

• Premium Member
also I could avoid the problem of the 26v by taking the feed from the high beam switch rather than the light. 
many thanks
Probably. I'd put a voltmeter on that wire to verify.

Hello,

I'm very much interested in this topic. I would like to install 2 additional spots led, and I will need to take a feed from the high beam somehow.

I'm not electrician at all but I had a look into the electric scheme provided in the maintenance manual. It seems that the high beam switch is under 12V. It goes to what the call the Light controler, which is a little bit apart from the main electric scheme. The two LED beams are connected to it. I supposed this is the part under 26V.

I guess it's possible to take the feed from the high beam from the switch itself, or even better, just before the Light controler. The installation will cleaner is all the wiring keeps hidden. Unfortunately, I don't know where the light controller is located on the bike.

I would be very gratefull if you can post the solution you find, and maybe with some picture.

Archived