Help needed fitting Givi Engine bars Please

stringman

Hi all
so I have bought some Givi engine bars. Fitted the right hand side (rear brake side) no problem.  Went to fit the left hand side and the bottom mounting fits using a bolt that travels all the way through the bike. I'm not sure what sure this bolt supports so did not want to undo it (in fact it seemed pretty damn difficult to move)
Anyone able to give me a heads up?
Thanks in advance

The instructions showed it using the shorter bolt to the right, but you are correct, you must use the existing long bolt to mount the left side. I removed it and re-installed it without issue. I believe that I was on side stand when I did it but remember looking closely at the right side to make sure it wasn't the only bolt holding me up.
Actually, the biggest gripe I had with the install is the hidden top bolt should be installed first to avoid cross-threading leaving only the last couple of turns for the box-end once the other bolts are in.

when I tried to remove the long bolt I could not get it to budge at all (I did have the bike on the centre stand) do you know what the bolt holds or supports?
I don't really want to pull this bolt out and fid half the bike falling to the floor!

• 2 weeks later...
well the bike is going in for its recall and fitting of heated grips so I might just get them to fit that side

I have fitted the same bars

the long bolt needs a spanner on both ends or it just turns on its self hope that helps

• 1 month later...
Hi.  I am having the same problem.  Installing the guard on the right side was easy.  On the left side, I can't get the long bolt to move at all.  Have the bike on the center stand.  Should I do the install on the side stand instead?  Any inputs or suggestions would be very much appreciated.  

I am am new to this forum.  Just recently got myself a fj-09.  Thanks.

I did this myself, and without incident. Jam a wrench on the right side, and use a torque wrench on the left side to break it loose. It is installed with 47,000 foot pounds of torque. Once you get the nut off the right side, tap it to flush with a hammer and then use Vice Grips on the left side to twist and pull out incrementally. Despite my fears the bike neither collapsed or fell over. Reverse the process with the crash bar in place and you're in business.

What cracked me up was that the Givi instructions I got didn't even show the left side, as if they know that bolt was a PITA, so they'd just eliminate any reference to it and just walk away whistling casually.

Right.  Thanks Griskins!

I took my bike to a mechanic today and got the left side engine guard installed.  The mechanic followed the exact same process as described by griskins.  Just want to add a couple more comments.
Put the bike on the center stand.  Use a wrench (torque or power) and unscrew the nut on the "right" side of the bike.  The mechanic who helped me used a power wrench and the bolt on the right side was out in a few seconds.  Thereafter, use a hammer to slowly tap the long bolt out, again from the right side.  That's all there is to it.  Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are the crash bars as awesome as I think they are? I've been trying to buy a set.... tn2122, right? They're out of stock EVERYWHERE. I'm tempted to buy overseas. Givi usa is located about ten mins from my house (I just found that out a few mins ago), so I'm gonna ride over on Monday and see if they have them before I buy overseas. Thanks!

• Premium Member
Are the crash bars as awesome as I think they are? I've been trying to buy a set.... tn2122, right? They're out of stock EVERYWHERE. I'm tempted to buy overseas. Givi usa is located about ten mins from my house (I just found that out a few mins ago), so I'm gonna ride over on Monday and see if they have them before I buy overseas. Thanks!
a few dealers in Italy had Givi stuff in stock months before the UK distributor had the items listed. With the favourable exchange rate the items are much cheaper from Italy. We don't pay any import tax from Italy as we are both in the EU. YMMV. 
I have used http://www.accessorimotostore.com/ (click UK flag) - delivery by UPS to UK in 3 days for under 10 euros. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived