I have a problem

I went for a ride yesterday. About 200 miles, 70 of it dirt roads and 130 paved. Great ride. FJ handled the dirt/shale (2b) better than anticipated with stock tires. Have 800 miles total on it now.

I did oil change and checked everything over prior to the ride at 595 miles. Coolant even was halfway between full and low. I did not look at the level prior to this.

Anyway, on the dirt while going slow (25 mph) the engine got warm. Warmer than I thought it should. It would get up to 220-225 degrees Fahrenheit. As soon as I would get up to 45-50+ mph the coolant temp would go back down to 170ish.

I washed the bike this evening and noticed the coolant level was at the low mark. I added a little coolant and started the bike up. It was on the centerstand. Looked everything over and it seemed fine. Coolant temp got to 170F and I shut the bike off and pushed it into my garage and place it on the side stand. Water started running out of the radiator. Not the hoses the radiator. I got a flashlight and started it up briefly and had steam coming up out of the radiator and coolant dripping down the front. I put it on the centerstand and it seemed to go away.

I will be calling the dealer I purchased the bike from tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Also of note, the does not appear to be any damage to the radiator from punctures or impact.

• Premium Member
Those temperatures you reported are completely normal for a modern bike. I see exactly the same temps daily on my FJ-09.

Water coming out of the radiator after a wash job... Was it clear? If so it's obviously just water from your wash job.

Those temperatures you reported are completely normal for a modern bike. I see exactly the same temps daily on my FJ-09. 
Water coming out of the radiator after a wash job... Was it clear? If so it's obviously just water from your wash job.

I don't think it's from washing especially since over a 200 mile ride it went from half full in reservoir tank to low.

I'll let it dry out and start it tomorrow after work. Take it for a short ride and see how it is before calling my dealer. I hope it is just from washing.

When I wash my bike on the center stand, there is a lot of water stored in the radiator fins. Putting the bike on the side stand releases nearly a quart of water dripping onto the ground. It should be easy to see if the water has antifreeze in it to confirm all this.

I think I may have just panicked and jumped to conclusions. I'm going to look everything over better this evening and I will post what I find.

When I wash my bike on the center stand, there is a lot of water stored in the radiator fins. Putting the bike on the side stand releases nearly a quart of water dripping onto the ground. It should be easy to see if the water has antifreeze in it to confirm all this.

This is normal. My Zx6r does the same as the fj. Its just water from you wash.

Well I appears that I overreacted. I took the bike out for a ride as soon as I got home from work. Everything seems good now. No water or coolant leaks. Must have been wash water.

I'm still going to keep an eye on things since I did loose some coolant at some point in time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that freaked out

And if your riding of road guard,fit a rad guard,stones love recking radiators.

I still need to get a rad guard. It's on the to do list.

Also does anyone know of a skid plate for the fj? I have been looking but not finding.

Archived