MCCruise for FJ-09/FZ-09/MT-09 Tracer/MT-09 - first test

Guest mccruise

Guest mccruise
MotorCycle Cruise Controls has successfully fitted their new electric servo and separate computer to their recently purchased MT-09 Tracer.

The unit passed preliminary diagnostic tests today with flying colours. Diagnostic testing is best done in 'B Mode' which allows pressing the SET key to deliver much more progressive increments in throttle response than either STD or A Modes. This enables effective assessment of whether there is any friction causing sticking in the throttle cables. Remember, the cruise can only apply throttle - it can't back it off - so it relies on the throttle return springs to achieve throttle back-off. If the cables are sticky and throttle release problematic, the cruise will not perform at its best.

The installation can best be described as 'elegant'. Virtually no cruise parts are visible. Achieving that comes at the cost of making installing the servo a bit more fiddly, but well worth the effort, in our opinion.

Tomorrow we will undertake on-road testing and calibration, but don't expect any issues.

Depending on priorities and how long it takes to write up instructions, develop packing lists and parts lists, we might have a product available for sale in two to three weeks. All parts are in stock, but every kit is custom built to order.

A new left-hand-side switch block for the Super Tenere, which has the factory cruise control switch gear in it, has already shipped to us from a supplier in the USA, so hopefully that development will become available as an option shortly thereafter, but we will not supply the Tenere switch. If you want the factory cruise control switch, you must buy one yourself - and it will be much cheaper for you to do so as we pay exactly the same as you do for them. Our responsibility will start and end with telling you how to set up the Tenere switch to control the MCCruise.

Please note that your kit will always ship with one of our switches because it has a bi-colour LED which helps enormously in diagnostic mode and initial testing. Only when you are happy with your MCCruise' performance, should you remove our switch and fit the factory unit and recalibrate our computer to respond to the OEM factory cruise control switch which DOES NOT HAVE LEDs.

I hope that excites you as much as it does us! This is the fun bit.....making things work!

We should have a new product up on our web site under Yamaha here: http://www.mccruise.com/collections/yamaha later tonight or tomorrow our time with a brochure so you can see what it looks like.  Getting a bit late here now - 6pm!   So...probably tomorrow.

MCCRUISE, Can you post pics of your cruise control on the bike? Most people on here are like me an would like to see how clean it looks. I do greatly appreciate you doing this. I for sure have been looking for this to put on the bike.

Guest mccruise
Sure, but there's not much to see.  The PDF brochure mentioned above shows everything, but this is what is actually visible - if you don't 'go hunting' for stuff:

Switch - Slide5.JPG?15753623631413489905

Servo is essentially hidden - only this bit of cable is visible - Slide3.JPG?15753623631413489905

Computer - Slide1.JPG?15753623631413489905

I hope that helps.  There are other bits, but you can't see them at all - wiring harness and cable interface unit (CIU) are completely out of sight.  All the info is here: MCCruise on the MT-09 Tracer - how it looks.

• Premium Member
Very clean installation. Looks like the control module placement would interfere with the operation of the toggle switch on top of the left cluster. Is it just the way the picture was shot?

A new left-hand-side switch block for the Super Tenere, which has the factory cruise control switch gear in it, has already shipped to us from a supplier in the USA, so hopefully that development will become available as an option shortly thereafter, but we will not supply the Tenere switch. 

What if I want to buy the tenere/fjr switch box and use the cruise buttons built in? Are you guys coming up with a solution for that? Can I just tap onto the 3 wires thats needed off the switch?
Looks as though your question has been answered to the best of his ability.  He is working on a solution but can't say for sure it will work until he actually recieves the part and does the R&D.

Looks as though your question has been answered to the best of his ability.  He is working on a solution but can't say for sure it will work until he actually recieves the part and does the R&D.
For some reason I thought I read they already have the switch and were going to update us today. Maybe I was day dreaming.

For some reason I thought I read they already have the switch and were going to update us today. Maybe I was day dreaming.  

No worries.  I am anxious to see if they can get it working myself.

• Premium Member
Johann, if you have a tank bag, this might work for you. I have one inside my SW-Motech bag with a push button sticking out of the front. It's for a garage door opener, but should work for a gate also....maybe.....http://www.mo-door.com/index.html

Guest mccruise
Hi Guys,

Actually, we think we are close on the OEM switchgear, but not being done by us.  Mike from Florida wants an MCCruise for his Super Tenere and we hope to define that kit for him on Monday.  He already has the switch gear and has a trip planned soon so can't wait for us to cross every T and dot every I on the MT-09 with Tenere switch.

Frank is convinced Mike knows enough to make it work and has advised accordingly.  We just have to define and quote on the complete kit and I think Mike will go ahead and order.  If all that happens, he should have the MCCruise kit in his hands around Monday week (17 August) and then it will be up to him to install the MCCruise, get it working using our switch THEN connect the OEM Cruise switch block and calibrate our cruise to talk to that switch.

[span]Sounds more complicated than it is...we will see.

[/span]

Guest mccruise
Hi Bob,

It isn't too bad.  A compromise.  My summer gloves don't have a problem accessing the switch.  We do have higher switches from the R1200GSA kits, but then it is a bit of a stretch for your thumb.  That is a bracket we had off-the-shelf, but we plan on making a new bracket which will be maybe 5mm higher (if we decide to go that way - executive powers are great!) and move the switch left one button width.  Frank just came back on the bike and he said with the switch rotated back a little more he wouldn't want the switch any higher than it is.....so we will see.  That will be available to ship with production kits in a couple of weeks time.

Guest mccruise
OK,

Frank and I have both test ridden the bike now with MCCruise on it.  I set it up and calibrated it, tested it for an hour - all good. Frank then test rode briefly and agreed it is good. So....the only thing holding us up now is time....we HAVE to get a Kubota kit done first, then we will turn our attention to finishing this bike and making the kit available.  Sorry, but there are only so many hours in the day!

I am hoping I have followed Cruisin's instructions right and added three photos of the switch gear and front of the bike for you to allay fears about the switch.  How come I can't see them here in the preview?

3893035.jpg  

3893033.jpg

3893037.jpg

Archived