Gear Position Indicator Going Blank

There are a lot of posts about this issue. I had one as well with my 2015 FJ-09, brought it to the dealer three times and they refused to replace the part, just performed some "cleaning" which lasted a day. Will have to visit another dealer. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2015 at 2:58 AM, humanistfury said:

SITUATION: I've got about 2500 miles on my FJ09.  I live in Colorado and ride exclusively on paved roads.  I ride conservatively compared to most dudes I know, and rarely carry a passenger.  No modifications to the bike.

ISSUE: Recently, between 2nd and 5th gears, the gear position indicator goes blank after I shift, either up or down.  It usually corrects itself if I release the throttle, shift back into the previous gear, and repeat.  No other issues with the transmission, but this has been happening more frequently over the past ~500 miles.  Otherwise, the clutch and gearing is actually one of my favorite aspects of the bike - very fluid, precise, and predictable.

Diagnosis? Recommendation? Thanks in advance.

I've experienced the gear indicator on my GT going blank, usually in the lower gears when clicking down while rolling to a stop. Way to solve is to let out the clutch slightly and you'll hear/feel a slight clunk from the gearbox and the indicator will light up. Think what's happening is that it's ending up between two gears and engaging the clutch slightly puts it in place, my FJR used to do that too.

• Thumbsup 1

My '15 FJ-09 pretty consistently fails to display 5 reliably works for every other gear. Since I find gear indicators superfluous hasn't bothered me enough to address it. Maybe I'll do some cleaning and connection checking next time in the area. 

• Premium Member

I very recently started experiencing this on my 2015 FJ-09 (44,000 miles), with N and sometimes 1 not showing.  Additional issue is if N is not displayed bike won’t start with sidestand down.  If I’m sitting on bike with sidestand up and N not showing bike will start.

On one occasion, sidestand down and N showing, engine started to crank and then stopped at exact moment when N disappeared.

Possibly related to sidestand safety engine cut off feature?

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Simple wipe down of the gear sensor solves the problem... Mine was coated like triple dipped candy in grease... I Wiped it off and put a light smear of grease back on sensor face...

Sensor is located behind front sprocket cover just above the front sprocket...

• Thumbsup 2
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 8:12 PM, angrygirafe said:

Neutral stopped showing for me when I got home tonight. 2016 with just a bit over 50k miles. I’ll try to clean the sensor in the next few days. After 12 hours in the office, I don’t wanna deal with it tonight. 

Finally got around to looking at this. Took the sensor off and cleaned the contacts. They didn’t look bad, but they are a little shinier now. Flicking through the gears really quick they all show up, but that doesn’t mean much; neutral was only going blank probably 10% of the time the last couple weeks. We’ll see if it’s better this coming week. 

Also cleaned out 50k miles worth of chain wax around the sprocket. It was... a mess. 

• Thumbsup 4

On 10/10/2020 at 12:02 PM, angrygirafe said:

Finally got around to looking at this. Took the sensor off and cleaned the contacts. They didn’t look bad, but they are a little shinier now. Flicking through the gears really quick they all show up, but that doesn’t mean much; neutral was only going blank probably 10% of the time the last couple weeks. We’ll see if it’s better this coming week. 

Also cleaned out 50k miles worth of chain wax around the sprocket. It was... a mess. 

I always forget to pull the sprocket cover off and clean out in there, and yeah...  Eventually, you do remove it for some reason, and OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT.

• Haha 2

took my 1,200km mileage Tracer GT to Yamaha HQ svc center.... highlight extract from Forum it could be a sensor cleaning, but than its a brand new bike !!! was than told, not sure if its true or globally is as such, there is a cut off gear where from 6 or 5th down to say 3rd,2nd , the speed must not be lower than 40km/h (24.8mph), IF i could remember, will take note to drop gear before 40kmh but often forgot and notice even below 40kmh from 3rd or 2nd to 1st, indicator will go blank and will not engage, now got use to it to just release clutch a bit and press back to go to 1st or neutral. 

11 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I always forget to pull the sprocket cover off and clean out in there, and yeah...  Eventually, you do remove it for some reason, and OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT.

My wife came out at one point, looked around. “... Do you want more rags or paper towels ?”

Bless her heart, she brought me a whole roll and never said anything about the state of the concrete around me 😂

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 10/13/2020 at 10:37 AM, Stew said:

Mine stopped showing 6th for a while, then started showing it again a few days ago, but it is gone again. I'm not bothered. If it is blank it is in 6th.

My 2017 does this too. No problem for me.

• Like 1