For a beginner?

gwatkins6

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The relatively high center-of-gravity means you *ARE* going to tip this bike over, if it's your first bike. 

A tall bike is only akward for new riders if their short. It makes the bike easier to handle for tall riders.  
Don't know why I bother trying to explain this to shorties.
To add to your point, the center of gravity isn't that high compared to a lot of other bikes.  Seat height?  Yeah, it's up there.  But if you're tall enough to flat foot, it's almost easier, especially with the light weight and low center of gravity.   

That being said, there is a saying that I've found holds true a very large percentage of the time.  If you ride, you either have dropped a bike or you will.  It's only a matter of time.

Do it. I bought one asy first bike. I had no problem with the power or size. I am 6'4" 220. I think that is really helpful having the height to manage the size. I took a novice coarse and a traffic coarse. I would not recommend anyone taking out a new bike without first taking the coarses. You will know by the end of the coarse if you can handle it. Not all the guys on the coarse I was on felt comfortable at the end. Every post I read in regards to a new rider advised against buying this bike. I'm glad I didn't listen. I looked like a gorilla on a tricycle on most all bikes under 800. Except dual sports. But that's not the type of bike I wanted. If your old enough to be smart and responsible. You'll be fine.

• Premium Member
Do it. I bought one asy first bike. I had no problem with the power or size. I am 6'4" 220. I think that is really helpful having the height to manage the size. I took a novice coarse and a traffic coarse. I would not recommend anyone taking out a new bike without first taking the coarses. You will know by the end of the coarse if you can handle it. Not all the guys on the coarse I was on felt comfortable at the end. Every post I read in regards to a new rider advised against buying this bike. I'm glad I didn't listen. I looked like a gorilla on a tricycle on most all bikes under 800. Except dual sports. But that's not the type of bike I wanted. If your old enough to be smart and responsible. You'll be fine.
Must be nice to be tall :-). 
I'm 5'4" and almost every bike is a bit tall, and some (like the BMW GS) are simply impossible.  The FJ is not the tallest bike I've owned, that was a Daytona 675, but it's still tall enough that I can only get the ball of one foot on the ground.  That can be pretty ungainly, and it's easy to screw it up and tip over.  I would have had a hell of a time on it when I first started riding; heck, I had some pretty unwieldy moments on the Daytona even though I'd been riding constantly for 7 years when I bought it.

Is the FJ a good beginner bike?  I would say "no, not really" although there are way worse choices.

My recommendation to new riders is always:

1. Take a training course, as others here suggested.  I've seen far too many people go out and blow ten grand on a brandy new bike, another couple grand on riding apparel, then scare themselves silly (or worse!) in a week and park it and never ride again.  That's a monstrous waste of money.  A training course gets you on a bike for very little money and if it turns out you hate it that's all you lose.  If you like it, the course will usually earn insurance discounts that will pay for itself within a year or three and save you even more long-term.  The skills you learn could very well save your life, too.  It's money very well spent.

2. Start out with a small used bike for at least a few months -- something in the 250-500cc range.  Small used bikes are readily available for very little money and can usually be resold when you're done for 100% of what you paid.  You're a lot less likely to tip over on a bike that weighs 300lbs than one that weighs 460.  Still, make no mistake: Even small bikes are heavy enough that when you make that first-ever surprise stop while making a turn you are likely to be pulled right over.  Happens to almost everyone at least once.  You'll be a lot happier if it happens on a bike that is pre-scratched and that you can easily pick back up.  (Don't ask me how I know. :-)

I know a lot of people whose ego can't take the hit of riding anything small, but if you're thinking that way let me tell you:  Those little bikes are a complete hoot to ride, even if you're very experienced.  It's tremendous fun to grab a huge handful of throttle without having to worry about looping it, and you can toss them into corners with aplomb.  I giggle the whole time I'm on one, and don't own one myself only because there's no extra room in the garage.  You *will* have fun with it, and likely a lot more fun in those early days than you would on a bike that goes from zero to oh-shit in two seconds flat at quarter throttle.

After a couple of months of riding small you'll have built the core reflexes to much more easily handle a larger bike.  Sell the little one for what you paid for it (new riders are always looking for those bikes!) and get what you really want.

So let's say you don't want to take the small used bike advice and you really want an FJ.  Is it a horrible choice for a first bike?

Ordinarily I would try to steer new riders away from anything in the near-liter-size range.  100+hp motorcycles are pretty damn dangerous, make no mistake.  The FJ is, however, one of the best choices around if you're going to go that route:

- The steering is light and the lock is very wide, making for very easy control.

- The weight is not carried especially low, like a cruiser, but it's quite a lot lower than racer replicas, making it reasonably easy to manage.  If you can flat-foot both sides it's not going to be very difficult to handle.  Even if you can only get the balls of both feet down it's not too bad.  Most normal sized people should be able to do this.  (If you're short like me?  Really should get something else first.)

- The engine develops a lot of power if you crank it open, but it's also very tractable at low RPMs, and smooth enough in STD mode that someone with an inexperienced wrist isn't all that likely to shoot themselves off into the weeds (especially if they were smart enough to get basic training first).  In B mode the throttle is a pussycat, smooth as glass, and fairly tolerant of ham-fistedness.

- The FJ's brakes are good, but not so good that a panic grab is likely to nose-wheelie you into the ground.  ABS is a really nice feature, too, as is traction control, if things are a little bit sandy or slippery.

- The FJ's limited amount of side plastics make for less than usual amounts of damage in a tip-over.  I'd recommend frame sliders or crash bars to make it all but invulnerable, they're cheap insurance.  The stock hand protectors do a great job of protecting the clutch and brake levers from damage, too; you're not very likely to be stuck without a clutch lever if you tip over miles from home.

So, while I wouldn't really *recommend* an FJ as a first bike, it's not too bad.  Nothing like my old Daytona 675 (or practically any other racer replica) where I would tell beginners that they really should find something else.  The Daytona's motor spun up super fast, the steering was sharp as razors, the brakes could put you over the bars with one finger, it was very tall and top-heavy, and any tip-over could do a thousand bucks in plastic damage in a heartbeat.  Why anyone would think that kind of thing is a good idea to learn with is beyond me....

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Well, the OP posted twice in this thread, back in January of '15, and never posted again, so I would guess he's long gone...

Lots of good advice here.

FJ9 IMHO would be a much better choice than a 600cc superport, but IMHO something like a 650 Versys or SV650 is still a better choice. 

• 2 weeks later...
I live in a city with a ton of awful traffic during rush hour. My first bike was a ninja 500. That bike seemed so fast, and I picked up a great used one for just about 2k. I put on about 5000 miles and about that time I knew I wanted a larger engine. Took the ninja on a few day-long trips and used it almost every day for my work commute. I learned how to handle the bike, managed never to drop or lay it down, but there were definitely close calls that would have been way worse with anything larger or heavier.

The transition to the FJ's B mode from the ninja is perfect. Definitely wouldn't recommend as a first, though. While the brakes are awesome, throttle is a bit too touchy IMO and it's way too easy to forget to put into B mode haha.

Loving this bike!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello forum!

Lurker turned first time poster, thanks for all the comments and observations, I have been able to pick up a lot of interesting tips and opinions.

Thought I would at least post my new rider thoughts .....

1. 47 yo male, 5'10" 175lbs, fit but not as much as I wish I was. Dreamed of riding for 35 years.
2. New rider, took an MSF course late summer. Fantastic way to start. Rode a Suzuki tu250. Fun little bike. Little. But a ton of fun. Aced the course, but also dropped the bike once. No harm no foul, and really glad I got to experience it in the course as opposed to own my own. Was really comfortable riding the 250 around in the parking lot, and figured out the balance (on that bike). I will take an era next summer but I have been told that it's a mixed bag but I'll try it and see. Can't hurt, can help.
3. Bought a BMW G650GS new. Thought A LOT about 250s, decided to go 650, but the bike is a thumper and develops only about 48hp and not a lot of torque. Knew a 250 would not be enough for me (some daily highway riding) and felt confident enoug to go upper-beginner cc range. Rode an older vstrom650 and an older Versys650. Both felt too top heavy to me then after the tu250. And I gently laid down the vast rom I the parking lot based on not understanding the balance of that bike. Rode the bmw650 and it felt GREAT. Enough power to keep me happy, low cog, and about 430lbs. Couldn't find used bikes here that fit the bill (standard, no race bikes, no cruisers), and fell in lust with the beemer.
4. Have put 3200 miles on it in 6 weeks. Highway and back roads, commuting and fun rides, rain and wind and sunny days, day and night. A couple 400 mile days, packed for a weekend away,etc.
5. Laid it down twice. Once I took it into a deep sand trail and lost it, bent the shifter back over the footpegs, and got a lot of sand everywhere. Second was a low speed drop in my driveway practicing low speed tight uturns and accidentally grabbed front brake (big mistake, now I don't even touch that he front brake handle in low speed maneuvers). Broke the clutch lever, replaced it myself. Very minor couple of scratches only I can see.
6. I LOVE RIDING!!!!!!! It's the most selfish PG fun I have had in ages. Can't imagine not riding. SOOOO glad I finally decided to start whe I am young enough to not be too worried about starting something new like this.
7. Love the beemer but already feel I want something more for touring. I have a friend who wants me to go to the blue ridge next spring, I am planning on riding down to AZ in the spring, and I want to ride out to CA to see my dad. Have focused on the vstrom650, new versys650, and.....the fj09. The FJ feels the best in the showroom, just sitting on it. I plan on test riding them all soon, if I can pull it off before the snow hits. Hard to find a Versys up here in inventory but storm and FJ are here. I will likely have 4000+ to 5000miles easy before I buy one,
8. My big question is what do you all think about getting the FJ and riding it in b mode as I get comfortable with it. The feel of the bike is great, it's the power jump to 110hp that makes me wonder if it's too much to me. Honestly I just like the feel under me more (before test riding obviously), and I love the looks and I really want to try a Japanese high quality bike. And I want it ....... And while I hope I am done laying over bikes for a little while, I am sure I will again. Hopefully in a parking lot if at all.
9. I recognize that there is no right answer, and I will probably get the FJ. I am curious about the reactions on this forum, and I thought I would share my own experience leading me up to this point.
10. any reason other than price to look at a 2016 versus a 2015?
11. Thought on the Yamaha bags versus aftermarket?

Again thanks for all the posts that have helped me, I hope this one helps others. And thanks in advance for any reactions/comments.
TJ in Maine

Many wise and experienced riders here. We all want you to enjoy riding and live a long life. My stepson has a 250 Ninja he has had for 3 years. I wont let him ride my FJR until he has experience with a heavier bike than that Ninja. The weight and especially the power could catch him in a mistake in a big hurry. Same goes for the FJ-09. Not the weight as much but the power available may not be suitable for an inexperienced rider. Admit it, twisting the throttle can be fun. We all want you to have the bike of your dreams. It is also true that hearing of a rider hurt or worse bothers us. Especially if it could have been avoided. Get experience, buy the bike of your dreams and be a rider that does not worry anyone that you are close to.

Hello forum!

Lurker turned first time poster, thanks for all the comments and observations, I have been able to pick up a lot of interesting tips and opinions.

1. 47 yo male, 5'10" 175lbs, fit but not as much as I wish I was. Dreamed of riding for 35 years.
2. New rider, took an MSF course late summer. Fantastic way to start. Rode a Suzuki tu250. Fun little bike. Little. But a ton of fun. Aced the course, but also dropped the bike once. No harm no foul, and really glad I got to experience it in the course as opposed to own my own. Was really comfortable riding the 250 around in the parking lot, and figured out the balance (on that bike). I will take an era next summer but I have been told that it's a mixed bag but I'll try it and see. Can't hurt, can help.
3. Bought a BMW G650GS new. Thought A LOT about 250s, decided to go 650, but the bike is a thumper and develops only about 48hp and not a lot of torque. Knew a 250 would not be enough for me (some daily highway riding) and felt confident enoug to go upper-beginner cc range. Rode an older vstrom650 and an older Versys650. Both felt too top heavy to me then after the tu250. And I gently laid down the vast rom I the parking lot based on not understanding the balance of that bike. Rode the bmw650 and it felt GREAT. Enough power to keep me happy, low cog, and about 430lbs. Couldn't find used bikes here that fit the bill (standard, no race bikes, no cruisers), and fell in lust with the beemer.
4. Have put 3200 miles on it in 6 weeks. Highway and back roads, commuting and fun rides, rain and wind and sunny days, day and night. A couple 400 mile days, packed for a weekend away,etc.
5. Laid it down twice. Once I took it into a deep sand trail and lost it, bent the shifter back over the footpegs, and got a lot of sand everywhere. Second was a low speed drop in my driveway practicing low speed tight uturns and accidentally grabbed front brake (big mistake, now I don't even touch that he front brake handle in low speed maneuvers). Broke the clutch lever, replaced it myself. Very minor couple of scratches only I can see.
6. I LOVE RIDING!!!!!!! It's the most selfish PG fun I have had in ages. Can't imagine not riding. SOOOO glad I finally decided to start whe I am young enough to not be too worried about starting something new like this.
7. Love the beemer but already feel I want something more for touring. I have a friend who wants me to go to the blue ridge next spring, I am planning on riding down to AZ in the spring, and I want to ride out to CA to see my dad. Have focused on the vstrom650, new versys650, and.....the fj09. The FJ feels the best in the showroom, just sitting on it. I plan on test riding them all soon, if I can pull it off before the snow hits. Hard to find a Versys up here in inventory but storm and FJ are here. I will likely have 4000+ to 5000miles easy before I buy one,
8. My big question is what do you all think about getting the FJ and riding it in b mode as I get comfortable with it. The feel of the bike is great, it's the power jump to 110hp that makes me wonder if it's too much to me. Honestly I just like the feel under me more (before test riding obviously), and I love the looks and I really want to try a Japanese high quality bike. And I want it ....... And while I hope I am done laying over bikes for a little while, I am sure I will again. Hopefully in a parking lot if at all.
9. I recognize that there is no right answer, and I will probably get the FJ. I am curious about the reactions on this forum, and I thought I would share my own experience leading me up to this point.
10. any reason other than price to look at a 2016 versus a 2015?
11. Thought on the Yamaha bags versus aftermarket?

Again thanks for all the posts that have helped me, I hope this one helps others. And thanks in advance for any reactions/comments.
TJ in Maine
I went from a 1970 CB450 that had 44 HP 45 years ago to an FJ after 3000-4000 miles on the CB.  You will be fine on the FJ.  Just ride responsibly, respect the power and start your first ride in B mode.  That's not to say you can't finish your first ride in STD or even A, just a good idea to start in B until you are comfortable with the balance and feel.  It allows you to not worry about the step up in power while you are trying to get a feel for all the other aspects of the bike.  For me, I was in standard by the 2nd or 3rd stoplight but was very glad I started my ride in B.  
No no reason other than color to choose 2016 over 2015 that I have seen yet.

I chose the Yamaha FJR bags.  They use the same mounts as the bags marketed for the bike. They are just bigger. Do a forum search on bags for more info and opinions.

Guest branthopolis
Can it be done??  Sure..     Should you?  Absolutely not..   Get a several year old well used smaller displacement bike at a good price and ride it for a year.   If you haven't terrified the crap out of yourself in that year, then get whatever bike you want.   The used bike can then be sold, as long as you don't totally destroy it, for probably almost as much as you purchased it for.   You will be a better rider in the end because you will likely quickly find yourself pushing the performance level of the smaller bike instead of constantly being timid with the throttle of a larger displacement bike.   You learn much more about handling and throttle control thrashing a bike instead of plodding along...

• Premium Member
As said above, get a more powerful but older bike to have a go on. If you drop it because it is heavier then you won't care so much. Same if you get a corner wrong, going in too fast or the wrong gear and find a ditch.

After a spell on a 125cc bike to get my licence (in the 1990s you could pass the test on a 125cc bike and go out on a ZZR1100 the same day) I did like you, spent a spell on a new 650cc thumper. The Honda Dominator was king at the time but the BMW F650 came out soon after. They are a great bike style to learn on. After that I did go to a 100bhp bike, an old VFR750. If I bent it or crashed it then no worries, apart from getting injured myself. I survived and have spent over 2 decades enjoying a wide variety of bikes.

I would suggest riding over winter on your current bike and then review the situation in the spring. If you really must have a bigger, more powerful bike, keep your eyes on the classified ads. Over the next few months some will be trying to sell a bike rather than keep it over winter. You may get a bargain, but be flexible on the make and age. An older 600-800cc twin would be a great bike to own for a while before going to a new, FJ09 or similar.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Hello forum!

TJ in Maine
First off, you IMO have enough experience to pull off riding the F-Jay. It is reasonably light, you are plenty tall to flat foot (unless you are all torso), and the traction control will limit the wheelie factor. B-mode is a waist of time. It just mutes the throttle which gets frustrating fast, so try it, then don't be afraid to try standard mode or A-mode. Figure on changing the windscreen and maybe the seat if you are so inclined. I do this to every bike I have ever owned, so "I" consider it SOP.  Good luck and don't worry, you will be fine, just use the back brake when going slow and the front brake when  going fast (or a combination of the two when going fast to satisfy the MSF quoters). Note: if you are clumsy or not very coordinated, a smaller bike would be better suited to you.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I took my Moto safety course with a couple other new bike owners. I was on my second, an FZ6 purchased new in 07. I didnt have my first bike long, it was beater with a tricky carb, so I wanted something new. But I respected the power I had and when I rode with one of these guys I was left in the dust. They invited me for a ride but instead I went out with another group. A couple weeks later I saw the experienced rider, the other guy had crashed trying to keep up and had to be life-flighted out.
The FZ6 was more power than I knew what to do with at that point, later I was pushing myself and the bike to limits.
This is my 5th bike and I think if I had it first I may have killed myself. It is way more powerful and responsive than the FZ6; and the FZ was way more stable and controllable. I'm not saying don't get this bike, I'm just saying what everyone else here has already said: Be aware it can kill you.
Now any bike can do this, but one that can power wheelie and has touchy suspension is really opening the door. If you get this take the Basic Safety course, ride a few months than take the Intermediate class. Than, if you and the bike are still whole, ride for a few years and consider advanced courses and track days. These will dial in your skills and help you immensely for the road.
Always, ALWAYS ride at your pace. You should never feel like you are overextending to keep up with people.
My 2c.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived