For a beginner?

gwatkins6

You are getting sound advice here, start out small(er) and buld your way up. I've been riding for over 45 years. Started out on stolen minibikes - I didn't steal, but I sure as hell rode the wheels off 'em. Then I graduated to a 175cc Honda dirtbike. I learned a LOT on that bike, especially how to crash well. Then I had a Honda 250 Elsinore - DROOL - followed by a series of streetbikes: CB-450, Suzuki GS-750, Gold Wing 1100, buncha V-65 Sabres, buncha Suzuki 1200 Bandits, buncha Yamaha Ventures, buncha Kwak GPzs, and on and on.

But you can see a natural progression there going from little, to middle, to BIG bikes. And I learned sumpin' new with each one. I would say that unless you have the reflexes of Valentino Rossi, you should have no fewer than 2 or 3 smaller bikes before you tackle a brute like the FJ. You will make your FJ riding experience ever so much more enjoyable if you have already paid yer dues with some smaller bikes.

Remember: It's a LOT more fun riding a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow....

-CD-

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are getting sound advice here, start out small(er) and buld your way up. I've been riding for over 45 years. Started out on stolen minibikes - I didn't steal, but I sure as hell rode the wheels off 'em. Then I graduated to a 175cc Honda dirtbike. I learned a LOT on that bike, especially how to crash well. Then I had a Honda 250 Elsinore - DROOL - followed by a series of streetbikes: CB-450, Suzuki GS-750, Gold Wing 1100, buncha V-65 Sabres, buncha Suzuki 1200 Bandits, buncha Yamaha Ventures, buncha Kwak GPzs, and on and on. 
But you can see a natural progression there going from little, to middle, to BIG bikes. And I learned sumpin' new with each one. I would say that unless you have the reflexes of Valentino Rossi, you should have no fewer than 2 or 3 smaller bikes before you tackle a brute like the FJ. You will make your FJ riding experience ever so much more enjoyable if you have already paid yer dues with some smaller bikes.

Remember: It's a LOT more fun riding a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow....

-CD-

From another old guy.  After riding the FJ from Dec 2014 to July, I hopped back on the FJR, a bike that I have put over 220,000 miles and feel very confident on, felt even more control and confident.  Smaller lighter bikes will make you a better rider no matter how much experience you have.  IMO.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Sound advice here. The one about trying to catch up is so true. When riding with a group know your destination. This way if you get separated you don't have the feeling you gave to catch up. Also, choose your group your riding with. I've ridden with hooligans and mellow riders alike. Know your skills and ride accordingly. I totally agree with getting a low cost mechanically sound mid size engine first bike. Your going to dump it. We all did. Practice, practice, and then practice some more. Know yourself. Know your limitations. ATGATT! Have fun!!! Life is short...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

i'm 6'4, 225lbs. when i got my first street bike 17 years ago, i was 6'4, 220lbs... my first street bike was an 1989 ex250 (aka, two fiddy ninja). i put about 20,000 miles on that bike over the next 8 months before i bent it in half.

my advice? start small/cheap. it's usually easier/cheaper to fix than a new, fancy bike... cause you're gonna need to fix it at some point. :)

I'm reminded of a funny saying:

What were the last words out of the redneck's mouth? "Hey y'all, watch this!!"

-CD- Heh, heh
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• 2 weeks later...
I've been on bikes all my life, the FJ was by no means my first bike, but it is my most powerful by a large margin (~45hp to 115hp). The bike makes leaps and bounds more in regards to power compared to my last bike, which was a KLR650. The KLR is by no means a total slug, but it's not a fast bike either, probably the best dual sport I've ever ridden and owned.

The leap from that bike to the FJ was considerably large, it took me several months before I was comfortable riding it in STD mode, so my advice to you is to start out on something small. Honda CRF230L, KLR250, sometime in the 200cc class for your first bike. Dual sports are easier to ride IMO. Get some seat time on one of those and then look forward. The FJ may not even be a good 2nd bike, probably more of a 3rd bike. They will always be around though, and Yamaha is always releasing new and exciting things. 

>>...The FJ may not even be a good 2nd bike, probably more of a 3rd bike.<<

I strongly agree unless the purchaser has a racing background. This is a WHOLE LOTTA BIKE, and an inexperienced rider could get way in over his head in a hurry. I know that if I had this bike as my 2nd bike way back when, I would have thrown it down within the 1st coupla months. And these bikes are far too nice to have them suffer that fate.

Remember, do it for the children...<g>
-CD-

• 1 year later...
I live in Canada and I have not ridden a bike since 1985, when I had a 1981 Yamaha 650 Twin. I have approx 20,000 km's riding experience between 1976 - 1985 on several bikes. I let my bike licence expire 30 years ago and have not been on a bike since. Never thought I would ride again. A month ago I bought a new 2016 FJ, got my M1 licence (Canadian version of stage 1) paid a small fortune for insurance and have almost 700km's on my bike now. I am taking the MSF Course next month and then will have an M2 licence and a small reduction in Insurance. 18 months from when I get qualified M2 I can do the test to get fully licenced (M) and an even better reduction in insurance. I am 6' 1" and 193 lbs and the bike fits me perfectly with the seat in the upper position. I live in a very rural quiet area with only two lane roads with max speed of 80 kph (approx 50 Mph). Not a four lane hwy within 100 km's of me. I was originally going to buy a "Bolt" but when I saw this FJ and did reserche on it that was the bike I wanted. I stayed in "B Mode" for the 1st couple hundred km's or so and have been in "Std Mode" since. So far I have not stalled it or dropped it (keeping fingers x'ed). I feel pretty comfortable on the road and in the small towns I have ridden through. Been practicing slow speed stuff (U Turns, figure 8's etc) in parking lots and watching 100's of video's on safety, riding techniques, reviews etc. Tons of great information and experience from members of this forum have gotten me back into bike thinking mode again also. I don't feel comfortable enough yet to get into heavy city freeway traffic but in another month or so I will be. Planning on putting 1000's of km's on this bike doing some long range trips of 4000 km's or more. Anyway I guess the point of this is I think it was an excellent bike for ME even though I have not ridden in 30+ years and am getting back into it. If you are a smaller beginner rider that cannot flat foot this bike standing still I would not recommend it.

P4290005_zpsi0xl05el.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I started riding dirt bikes as a kid. Got a Kx 80 2 stroke in my teens. Got a drz 400s when I was 17 and put around 13k miles on it before it was stolen when I was around 25. Haven't ridden until last week (31 now). How did I "get back into it"? Brand new 2016 fj09. I've never taken a riding course ever. I think maybe I should. But I don't think it is 100% required to be a safe rider if you have experience. I have ridden my bike in A mode on the freeway. I have taken it on an 80+ mile ride on twisties.

I just think it has to do with self control with with the throttle. Don't try and go full throttle on a 25 mph corner in any gear. Get your head right and ride safe. In my experience, you can ride a fast bike safely. Just know your limitations.

If you've never ridden, the high rpms of this bike will get you into hairy situations though. It's fast.

I started riding 2 years ago and it was on a Honda Rebel. That was a great bike, I was a bit big, 6' and 205 lbs. I drove it for just at a year and put 10k miles on it. I drove it to work. Rarely did I go anywhere else on it. I bought the FJ in October and put just over 9k miles on it. I mainly ride to work but I've been going out on the weekends with groups from Meetup that usually hit 150-220 miles each ride. We hit the mountains and some other scenic roads in the process (this is SoCal and there are a LOT of scenic roads). I am by no means an accomplished rider but I feel very comfortable on this bike. Thankfully this bike is forgiving but it can turn real ugly in an instant. I don't think I'd enjoy riding as much if I started with the FJ-09.
just my .2

• Premium Member
I am a new rider who would ride this bike in the B mode until comfortable.  I would love to have a bike that I could grow in to.  Any thoughts?
On Motorcyclespecs  - the very last line after all of the specs, it reads "The FJ-09 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders."

Disclaimer: The views of Motorcyclespecs does not necessarily reflect those of the poster. ;)

My first bike was a Honda 175, which turned out to be bullet-proof and a good beginner bike. The next was the Honda Nighthawk 750 which was a nice next step and one which I wish I still owned. The next progression was to the Kawasaki Concours 14. This was a "bridge too far". Too heavy, too fast and too a lot of other things. My current bike is the FJ 09 which I bought new in January of 2015.  It is what I have found to be "just right" in all respects.  I can't see getting rid of it as long as I can ride.  I have added an amazing amount of farkles most of which have made a great bike even better.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello everyone:
I found this thread and it compelled me to reply. I have followed the Fz-07/Fz-09 and finally Fj-09 arrivals with interest over the last 3 years. I own a fz-07 (my fourth bike since I turned 50, 11 years ago...) and I love it. Light, agile and with enough power to kill myself three times over :). But, I do like the Fj-09 and the Fz-07 is paid for...

However, I am inseam...challenged and cannot reliably flat foot the fz-07. Has anyone gone from the Fz-09 to the Fj-09?
That extra 1.5" are a lot! Any insights? Also the fz-07 is only 66 hp (well, with a fuel controller and a new exhaust my butt-dino says a few more horses...). Should I be scared of the extra power?
I am a prudent rider and have not dropped the last three bikes (yet, I may add). The first one...well, that's another story.
Marco

Hello everyone: I found this thread and it compelled me to reply. I have followed the Fz-07/Fz-09 and finally Fj-09 arrivals with interest over the last 3 years. I own a fz-07 (my fourth bike since I turned 50, 11 years ago...) and I love it. Light, agile and with enough power to kill myself three times over :). But, I do like the Fj-09 and the Fz-07 is paid for...

However, I am inseam...challenged and cannot reliably flat foot the fz-07. Has anyone gone from the Fz-09 to the Fj-09?
That extra 1.5" are a lot! Any insights? Also the fz-07 is only 66 hp (well, with a fuel controller and a new exhaust my butt-dino says a few more horses...). Should I be scared of the extra power?
I am a prudent rider and have not dropped the last three bikes (yet, I may add). The first one...well, that's another story.
Marco

Im norcal616 @ the fz-07 forum

I also own a FZ-07 which is built just shy of the full Hordpower package, just need the motor work done when I find the $ ?... To be honest I find the FJ-09 to be more tame than the FZ-07, maybe its because the power of the triple is so smooth next to instant power feeling of the FZ-07... I dont find the need to have both feet touch the ground at a stoplight even tho im 6'1" @155#, I can but I prefer to just scoot my butt to the side and use one leg, maybe its from years of dirtbiking?

Granted the FJ-09 has way more HP than the FZ-07 but its the TQ you feel with the butt dyno, the FJ-09 has just about 15-20 more ft/lbs than the FZ-07 but its far easier to ride the FJ-09 at highway plus speeds all day than the FZ-07 due to the extra HP...

With the 3 modes of drive, traction control the FJ-09 can be put into easy peasy granny mode in B mode or go full nuts in A mode with TCS off just like the FZ-09... The TCS keeps the front wheel down ? so dont worry about wheelies unless you really wanna wheelie...

I brought the FJ-09 for multi day trips, more weather protection, already set up for touring with luggage mounts and I keep the FZ-07 for my fun days and summer months... The suspension on the FJ-09 is worlds better than the FZ-07!!!
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived