CLUTCH CABLE

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I Love My ( 9 ) But One thing the clutch where it engages is not right Ive tried from both ends and cant find my sweet spot .At that lever on top of the casing it has play in it anyone else have this annoying problem or a solution 
Sounds to me like it might be getting ready to let go. I ordered a replacement from Motion Pro, the custom cable shop since they don't currently have a stock  replacement. They are working on that though. Costs in the neighborhood of $50 and should last a lot longer than the stocker. 

• Premium Member
man, this could be a safety issue if your clutch cable breaks at the wrong time. yamaha should do a recall on this and fix it so it doesn't break every 6k. 
I would be so pissed.

here is the NTSB complaint form that can put pressure on a manufacturer to perform a recall.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Is there a good time for a clutch cable to break?

Cables are considered limited life, consumable items like chains & brake pads. I've done nearly 8000 miles and others have done many more without a problem so I'm not sure it is as big a problem as some make out.

Off road riders and those covering large distances will often carry a spare cable so that a trip is not delayed for long if a cable breaks. Some fit a cable in parallel to the existing one to make the swap over easy.

I go on a few long trips a year so I have bought a spare cable which lives under the seat. Twenty quid for a bit of insurance.

If I was riding an XT660 Tenere I would be carrying rear wheel bearings as these tend to give up more often than ideal.

No bike is perfect, at least the faults on the MT09 are relatively minor and it's not lunching its fuel controller or final drive, faults which put me off that German brand with their bikes costing twice as much.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

man, this could be a safety issue if your clutch cable breaks at the wrong time. yamaha should do a recall on this and fix it so it doesn't break every 6k. 
I would be so pissed.

here is the NTSB complaint form that can put pressure on a manufacturer to perform a recall.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Is there a good time for a clutch cable to break? 
Cables are considered limited life, consumable items like chains & brake pads. I've done nearly 8000 miles and others have done many more without a problem so I'm not sure it is as big a problem as some make out.
I've had 10 or 15 bikes over the years - maybe 8 had clutch cables   I have never had a clutch cable break.   My maintenance has always been a squirt of wd40 maybe once a year.   Googling around it seems like many people get 5 years or 20,000 miles out street bike clutch cables.   Failing under 10,000 miles is just crazy.

• Premium Member
My 1985 BMW K100RS used to chew through clutch cables every 7-10k miles until I ground off a sharp edge in the perch that was abrading the cable. It was just one of the early K-bike's many design flaws.

Great to see that i'm not the only one who has this issue, but my problem is my dealer won't be bale to get it for months, though it is under warranty.  
Guess I have a really shiny 460lb paperweight for the next few months :(

Sorry man. You could explore aftermarket cables from motion pro, for example? It probably would be an out of pocket expense, but would get you back riding utilize Yamaha gets some back in stock.

Skip

• Premium Member
Great to see that i'm not the only one who has this issue, but my problem is my dealer won't be bale to get it for months, though it is under warranty.  
Lots of DIY universal kits about, over here at least. As someone else stated, their dealer improvised by making one from base parts - this was commonly done when I started riding bikes. If your dealer won't play ball get one of the universal kits or visit a local off road dealer as they will be more used to customers asking for one off cables for bikes with modified bars. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I actually had Motion Pro make me the cable. I guess they have sample cables in stock and can make them for you but it won't be exactly 100% identical since they can't find the same metal elbow that Yamaha uses- they don't list it on their website.

I find it a lot of BS that a cable this new broke already. Will still take it in to get an OEM replaced under my warranty when the part is available but at least I'll have a cable to work for now. Will be a long week until I get it though.

• Premium Member
Did Veys tell you it would be months to get the cable? In October I ordered one from FBC in Kerney Mesa and received it in less than 2 weeks. I was surprised to get it so fast after hearing they were in short supply.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• Premium Member
Yamaha have multiple warehouses around the country. Some are out of stock on this part and some aren't. Have your dealer ordee from a different warehouse.

• Premium Member
Yamaha have multiple warehouses around the country. Some are out of stock on this part and some aren't. Have your dealer ordee from a different warehouse.
Just got my replacement from Motion Pro.  Took about 2 weeks and you have to order it from the Custom Cable shop. The usual well made product you expect from MP! They cost about $50. 

Did Veys tell you it would be months to get the cable? In October I ordered one from FBC in Kerney Mesa and received it in less than 2 weeks. I was surprised to get it so fast after hearing they were in short supply.
I actually called multiple dealerships. The Veys I go to in Lemon Grove I know the parts and service guys very well and had them look into it as best they could, the only answer they were able to come up with is it could take several months to get a new cable. 

But it doesn't matter, I have a new cable being made and sent to me by MP. 

Archived