CLUTCH CABLE

Hey pep, did you get it the same length or a little longer? I'm thinking of buying one with a couple inches extra so I can put some risers on the bike.

Just got my replacement from Motion Pro.  Took about 2 weeks and you have to order it from the Custom Cable shop. The usual well made product you expect from MP! They cost about $50.

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yamaha have multiple warehouses around the country. Some are out of stock on this part and some aren't. Have your dealer ordee from a different warehouse.
Just got my replacement from Motion Pro.  Took about 2 weeks and you have to order it from the Custom Cable shop. The usual well made product you expect from MP! They cost about $50.
Can you provide a picture of the cable? Specifically where it enters the lever...

• Premium Member
Can you provide a picture of the cable? Specifically where it enters the lever...
Here ya go! Nice little nylon sleeve around the ferule. I had the choice of a small metal bend close to the ferrule or just a plain cable. I chose the plain cable, less to go wrong.

4181515.jpg  

4181514.jpg

4181512.jpg

my clutch cable broke recently (at the lever part) @ about 6000 KM in mileage. 
the only mod that i had was the alternative hand guard installation (KTM Handguards)

the dealer said clutch cable is wear & tear, and i almost died while giggling.

the only issue i saw was the bolt that was obstructing the cable but i highly doubt it is due to this that caused the cable to snap.

oh and i replaced it with a Kawasaki Clutch Cable (Part No: 54011-1362).

dealer tried it and said "it is not as smooth as a Yamaha clutch cable" ; i replied "as long as it doesn't break/snap, it is a good clutch cable for me"

what is your take?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14166405/20150904_140210.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14166405/20150904_144739.jpg

How is that Kawasaki cable working for you?  Do you notice a difference in feel?
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

I think the problem is the sharp bend in the cable as it leaves the short section with steel reinforcing. See the pics above. 
I wonder if it'd be possible to bend the steel section slightly using a small tubing bender so there is a gradual bend instead of the sharp bend.
I tried using a tubing bender on mine with no luck.  The tube is very strong and wouldn't bend at all.  
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Premium Member
dealer tried it and said "it is not as smooth as a Yamaha clutch cable" ; i replied "as long as it doesn't break/snap, it is a good clutch cable for me"

That Kawasaki clutch cable is for a Vulcan 500. There is a Motion Pro clutch cable for that model already. I wonder if that would work? linky

For those ordering a custom made Motion Pro clutch cable, what specifically did you order, part number, length, wire size, etc.., thanks?

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member

That Kawasaki clutch cable is for a Vulcan 500. There is a Motion Pro clutch cable for that model already. I wonder if that would work? linky

For those ordering a custom made Motion Pro clutch cable, what specifically did you order, part number, length, wire size, etc.., thanks?

I have a friend from another online group that works at MP, so I emailed him about the best course of action. He referred me to the custom cable side of the shop since they didn't have a replacement in inventory. He said that they were working on it though, and in the interim, the custom cable was the way to go, and put me in touch with Joe in the custom cable shop. I requested a cable 1 1/2" longer because I had a servo from my cruise control to go around. I was offered the option of getting a cable with a short bend  in it, or just a plain cable. I opted for the plain cable because I think it will work just fine. Have not fitted it up just yet. No part number, and their discretion on the wire size, which appears to be the same size, but, according to MP, better quality wire than the stocker.  

It can't be the cable Its been like this from day one its like releases at the worst spot it can its hard to explain it just feels so wrong I mean Ive looked like It was the first time rideing a bike a few times leaving a stoplight its weird never in my life have I had a bike engage where this dose I don't know maybe a plate was put in wrong or something what I'm asking is any one else seem to have this going on Thanks Steve

• Premium Member
It can't be the cable Its been like this from day one its like releases at the worst spot it can its hard to explain it just feels so wrong I mean Ive looked like It was the first time rideing a bike a few times leaving a stoplight its weird never in my life have I had a bike engage where this dose I don't know maybe a plate was put in wrong or something what I'm asking is any one else seem to have this going on Thanks Steve
Hard to read with no punctuation.  
My FJ clutch operates very smoothly and engages at what I would call a "normal" location. I've owned bikes with hydraulic clutches and cable clutches. This one is as good as any other I'm owned. It's smooth and just "normal". 

Also, as broad as the power is on this bike, I'm often clicking up two gears on a single clutch pull when accelerating. It just does it...butter smooth!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

After reading this thread I'm super paranoid about the clutch cable. I guess I should go buy a replacement!

edit: Just went to Parts Outlaw (best OEM supplier in the country IMO) and got two replacement cables for $14 bucks each. One is getting stashed on the bike and the other in the tool box. Time to go lube the one on the bike haha.

It took me probably half an hour to get that cable back in the bike, had to remove the left fairing and bracket underneath to get to it. Had to remove a bolt from the radiator too. No way I could have done that on the side of the road with just the basic bike tool kit.

How is that Kawasaki cable working for you?  Do you notice a difference in feel?

it is great, i find the kawa cable has no difference in terms of feel or functional aspect. 

I have been monitoring the clutch biting point based on (1) clutch cable adjuster knob position (2) my own personal feel. The biting point has not "moved away" since i have installed it.

I am travelled about 4500 KM in mileage since I have installed the Kawa Cable. 

Yes, it is for a Kawa Vulcan 500.

I have got myself another spare from partszilla.com ; they have it in stock :)

Archived