CLUTCH CABLE

• Premium Member
Mine snapped at 5500. Motion pro and Yamaha replacement on the way. Motion pro will get the install first.

Now I wait for the trailer, see if I get any sympathy from the dealer and the extended warranty.....
Good luck. I can't get them to call me back about the cracked side panels on my brand new motorcycle. I've been calling every couple of days and talking to various people for 2 weeks now. They answer, take my info, put me on hold for several minutes, answer again and say that a supervisor will call me back. They don't and I call back in a couple of days and the whole process repeats.
A personal appearance (with a touch of attitude) is in order...   

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Good luck. I can't get them to call me back about the cracked side panels on my brand new motorcycle. I've been calling every couple of days and talking to various people for 2 weeks now. They answer, take my info, put me on hold for several minutes, answer again and say that a supervisor will call me back. They don't and I call back in a couple of days and the whole process repeats.

If yamahas headquarters were closer I'd already paid them a visit.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
If yamahas headquarters were closer I'd already paid them a visit.
Yeah. I forget that some of you live at the end of the road in the middle of nowhere... :) 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I just purchased and received two new factory clutch cables just in case P/N 2PP-26335-01-00. One for me, and one for any friend in need.
I bought an OEM replacement many months ago. Pretty much guarantees that mine will never break!  (rofl)
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Hey guys my cable snapped after 30 k miles.
Question is do I need to remove the gas tank? From what I can see it should just slide in after loosing the fastener at the top of the radiator.
Thanks in advance for any tips in replacing it.

• Premium Member
Hey guys my cable snapped after 30 k miles. Question is do I need to remove the gas tank? From what I can see it should just slide in after loosing the fastener at the top of the radiator.
I haven't done it personally, but read that attaching one end of the old cable to an end of the new cable works great to help feed it through. Removing the tank only takes a few minutes anyhow, so no big deal if you have removed it before. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Hey guys my cable snapped after 30 k miles. Question is do I need to remove the gas tank? From what I can see it should just slide in after loosing the fastener at the top of the radiator.
I haven't done it personally, but read that attaching one end of the old cable to an end of the new cable works great to help feed it through. Removing the tank only takes a few minutes anyhow, so no big deal if you have removed it before.
Yep - this works great. Detach both ends of the cable, attach the new one to the old at the lever, and slowly pull it through. You'll need to loosen/remove one bolt by the radiator to give yourself a little more room to fish the cable through, but otherwise it's easy peasy. 

FYI I replaced my clutch cable yesterday with 28k miles on it. The cable was fraying from the round end on the clutch lever side. I noticed in January and decided to see how long it would last. Last week I felt a few more stands give, so I ordered the OEM cable from the dealership.

Tape the top of the new cable to the bottom of the old one. Get another person to help pull the old cable up, while you push the new cable through the engine compartment. It should follow the same bend as the old cable. It will get snagged eventually so reach up in the engine area and start pushing/twisting around at different angles. My cable got snagged somewhere above the head of left cylinder. Took only a few minutes!

Received and installed the new cable today.
Loosen left side bolt on radiator, took the screw out holding the horn.
Pulled the new through using the old from the bottom up.
Pretty easy repair!
Will install the motion pro once it arrives and keep the oem as a backup.
Get one before you need it, had a hard time getting one quickly. FYI.

Ordered the motion pro plus 1.5 inches, no bend.

On the install I was on the right side of the bike, fed up with left hand, pulled with the right grabbing the cable just above the radiator with two fingers, an inch at a time.
No snags.
Loosened and popped the cable out of the holder attached to the radiator prior to pulling new one thru.

Hope this helps someone else!

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed most folks notice an increase in slack first with the cable issue. Yesterday I went out for a ride and after spending some time on this highway, the clutch would only pull in about 1/4 of the normal travel (fortunately just enough to shift), but either in the lower gears after stopping or after the bike cooled down the full travel returned. Could this be cable-related also? I will probably replace it anyway (I have about 3800 miles of mostly city / commuting miles, so lots of shifting), but this symptom seems different than the others, and was a bit disconcerting .

No probably not related to the cable itself.

The clutch is lubricated by engine oil. When it gets hot, your free play - measurable usually at the end of the lever - will INCREASE. So if you set your lever free play when the engine is hot, generally it will decrease when the bike is cold.

The "10-15mm as measured at the lever end" specification should be set when the engine is COLD.

You can also set the gap between the clutch lever and the mount, to the width of a US quarter.

Set your lever free play properly cold and see how the clutch functions, before assuming something else is wrong.

-Skip

No probably not related to the cable itself.  
You can also set the gap between the clutch lever and the mount, to the width of a US quarter.

Set your lever free play properly cold and see how the clutch functions, before assuming something else is wrong.

-Skip
Width or thickness? 

Archived