Howdy. Help me Decide!

Hello to all you seemingly happy FJ owners! I am a long time Suzuki Bandit owner of many years and a couple of models. I'm currently riding an '07 1250S. There are lots of things I like about the big Bandits. However, like most of us 2 wheelers I'm often tempted by the prospect of something new and different. The FJ has my full attention.
 So my selfish reason for joining your forum is to see what you owners think about your FJs after you've had it a while. And especially to ask if any of you are prior or current Bandit owners, and to see what your feelings/opinions are in comparing the two models.
Wish you had your Bandit back? Never even miss it a little? Bandits suck... no way anyone would say that, lol.
I've read every review that I can find, and perused many of this forum's threads. I've been to the dealership and sat on/fingerifiddled the FJ. I like almost everything about it. Dang dealerships won't give me a test ride (heheh... I don't blame them).
 I know... some will say keep the Bandit and buy the FJ if you're not sure. Can you have too many bikes? For me, that would mean that one of 'em would have to sleep outside. And while I can certainly see having more than one bike, it's hard to justify 2 in the same relative category.
 Looks like you've got a strong forum going here and I've really enjoyed checking it out so far.

Thanks, and happy wheeling
Brad in Houston

Hello to all you seemingly happy FJ owners! I am a long time Suzuki Bandit owner of many years and a couple of models. I'm currently riding an '07 1250S. There are lots of things I like about the big Bandits. However, like most of us 2 wheelers I'm often tempted by the prospect of something new and different. The FJ has my full attention.  So my selfish reason for joining your forum is to see what you owners think about your FJs after you've had it a while. And especially to ask if any of you are prior or current Bandit owners, and to see what your feelings/opinions are in comparing the two models.
Wish you had your Bandit back? Never even miss it a little? Bandits suck... no way anyone would say that, lol.
I've read every review that I can find, and perused many of this forum's threads. I've been to the dealership and sat on/fingerifiddled the FJ. I like almost everything about it. Dang dealerships won't give me a test ride (heheh... I don't blame them).
 I know... some will say keep the Bandit and buy the FJ if you're not sure. Can you have too many bikes? For me, that would mean that one of 'em would have to sleep outside. And while I can certainly see having more than one bike, it's hard to justify 2 in the same relative category.
 Looks like you've got a strong forum going here and I've really enjoyed checking it out so far.

Thanks, and happy wheeling
Brad in Houston
I have had an '01 Bandit 1200, and currently have an '05 along with my FJ-09. 
I love both bikes!

Comparing the two, i'd have to say first that the engines outputs are very similar. Both torquey all throughout the powerband. The FJ has a little less torque, but it seems to like a little higher RPM. That coupled with it being 50 pounds lighter makes it feel very close in power.

Seating position: I sit more upright on the FJ, and footpegs are lower, and slightly farther back. Better to stretch out on longer trips. Plus there is a place to rest your right heal by the exhaust. Not quite as sporty though. Seat is more cushy and comfy on the Bandit, but the FJ's seat is better  for longer trips, no butt burn. ( I have the Seat Concepts foam and cover upgrade )

Handling: The Bandit handles very well, holds a line great... but the FJ feels lighter and more agile. Able to change a line mid corner easily if needed. The FJ's handling is easy to adapt to, and very confidence inspiring, even though at 1st you feel higher up on the bike.

Brakes: stock for stock, the FJ has better brakes. It feels like my Bandit which has upgraded Galfer HH pads atm. Dont forget, the FJ has ABS!

Suspension: Compared to the Bandit, the FJ has less fork dive under braking. However the FJ is rougher over high speed uneven bumps on the freeway. The Bandit is better on those roads. Suspension is easily upgraded though, many threads here....

Instrumentation is light years ahead on the FJ. When on my Bandit, I look down to see ambient, and engine temps, nope., Gear posistion, nope on stock Bandit ( though mine has an added gear indicator) Average/instant fuel economy, multi trip meters, Oil change intervals, an additional 2 odos that I use for keeping track of tire changes, clock, fuel gage, digital tach 2 temp readouts, all available at the touch of a button, sweet!

Safety: Along with ABS, the FJ has traction control! Saved my butt once when I hit some sand turning at an intersection. Smoothly cut the power, keeping the bike upright. Faster than I could have cut power on the Bandit, i'm thinking.

Wind protection: Bandit wins, hands down. The FJ is more turbulent, and noisier. Hence why you see so many threads here on new windscreens. Not really a problem though, but annoying in comparision if I think about it. Does ok to keep rain and wind off you though.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I enjoy both bikes. wub.png

Let me know if I can answer any more questions. :)

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Excellent. Thank you very much Ty. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.
I forgot to mention that I have the ABS model, so that's a push. However, your experience with traction control is a point well made and one that I was having trouble putting a value on.

• Premium Member
 Excellent. Thank you very much Ty. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I forgot to mention that I have the ABS model, so that's a push. However, your experience with traction control is a point well made and one that I was having trouble putting a value on.

Just food for thought. Ty is faster on the FJ also. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Excellent. Thank you very much Ty. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I forgot to mention that I have the ABS model, so that's a push. However, your experience with traction control is a point well made and one that I was having trouble putting a value on.

Just food for thought. Ty is faster on the FJ also. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif
I'm not sure about faster, but I am faster EASIER ! thumbup111.gif

Ty

Faster on the FJ eh? Maybe he's just going easy on ya with the Bandit.  ;) 
Torque/HP is one of my concerns. With most of the Dale Walker performance parts, my bike runs pretty sweet. But if they "feel" close in power, that's good. I'm not too concerned about hard numbers... 1/4 mile time, etc. But it's important to me that it doesn't feel like I'm giving up engine performance. So many people write about the "feel" of the triple. Is it really the magically melodious machine that I keep reading about? 
 Nice that you can enjoy both bikes. Do you find yourself picking one over the other regularly. Or, prefer one for a certain ride, etc. 

Yes, the triple is "magical".  It just has an exuberent character.  Quick to rev, yet equally willing to lug.  I typically run at 40 + mph in 6th, around 3500 rpm, with no hesitation.  The motor peaks a little over 60 ft-lbs, but has 50+ from about 3000 rpm and up.  It's not an electric motor, but much more entertaining.

I came from a 2008 Bandit 1250 abs. I had the full holeshot stage 2 system. I just finished the ecu tune ,and putting the Yoshimura exhaust on the Fj. Power is roughly equal now. Maybe a slight edge to the bandit at low rpm. The seat on the fj is way more comfortable.Its just a better riding position. Canyon driving the fj wins hands down. With the bandit you had to pick a line and stay with it. The fj can change its line mid turn. The bike is very flick able. Wind protection both bikes suffer in this regard. I went to the Rifle 24" screen on the fj and im happy with it. Ride quality the Bandit wins its just a smoother ride.Bottom line is the Yamaha is just a blast to ride in the twisty s . It has made motorcycling fun again.

Hey Zimbob,
Dale's stage 2 is exactly what I have. So, we're talking around 120HP/92 ftlbs. It's as powerful a set up as I will ever want... just fast enough to scare me a little bit... sometimes. Thanks for mentioning the ecu flash/yoshi. Are you talking about a yoshi can only?
How do you like the sound?
I bought my bike with a Corbin gunfighter seat already on it, which I find outstanding. Way better than the stock seat I had on the previous ('03) Bandit. Sounds like most FJ owners are ok with the seat, but we're all different and changing or modifying a seat is something I'm prepared to do if necessary.
So it seems that there's a trade off to the light weight. The Bandit is smoother at speed and absorbs the big freeway bumps... due to it's relatively soft suspension and heavier weight. But the FJ ride is crisper and more exciting.
The big draws to me are boiling down to two major things... that triple, and cutting weight. There are several other pluses as well, but those two things are really interesting me.

Faster on the FJ eh? Maybe he's just going easy on ya with the Bandit.  ;)  Torque/HP is one of my concerns. With most of the Dale Walker performance parts, my bike runs pretty sweet. But if they "feel" close in power, that's good. I'm not too concerned about hard numbers... 1/4 mile time, etc. But it's important to me that it doesn't feel like I'm giving up engine performance. So many people write about the "feel" of the triple. Is it really the magically melodious machine that I keep reading about? 
 Nice that you can enjoy both bikes. Do you find yourself picking one over the other regularly. Or, prefer one for a certain ride, etc. 
I have a Holeshot stage 1 on my bandit, with a full Yosh system. I love the sound of an large inline four on the gas! But there is a "mystique" about a triple I had to try. Sounds great in stock form, but too quiet once up to speed. Fixed that by modifying the internals of the cat/muffler. tongue.png Here's a vid of what it sounds like now: 
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCBeU9R3FsY]

Of course an aftermarket muffler would be a lot easier, heh! As far as which bike I ride the most, atm it's the FJ of course. One reason being that the '05 Bandit was the last year of the air cooled bikes, and it's in great condition and I dont want to put too many miles on it. Kind of a classic for me. I  ride it on shorter trips.

Ty

The tune makes the triple come alive as low as 2000 rpm. the bike is much more powerful at the low rpms. The yoshi can is a full system. bought it from the same guy that tuned it Nels at 2wheeldynoworks. The yoshi is loud with no baffle.With the db killer baffle installed its still low and louder than stock. at high rpm its got a race bike sound no drone like some of the other pipes out there.

I had a 2003 Bandit 1200S before my FJ and switched because the riding position on the Bandit was starting to hurt my bad knee.  The FJ is more comfortable in terms of peg-to seat distance, the pegs on my Bandit were surprisingly high and cramped.  The FJ is more fun on twisty roads because it is lighter and has wider handlebars for faster turning.  The engine is gnarlier and rougher and more peppy on the FJ, I liked the smooth top end rush on the Bandit.  The Bandit was much better - more stable and better wind protection - at high speed (90mph+) cruising because of its weight and less upright seating position.  If you're not riding a lot of tight twisty roads and are out west or somewhere where you can ride fast, perhaps keep the Bandit and save your money, I miss mine at times.  If you're looking for a more upright and comfortable bike to ride on smaller roads with a livelier feel, the FJ is more fun.  Overall given the resale value of my Bandit was so low, if not for the ergonomics and my particular physical issue, I would have been happy keeping the Bandit and saving the $.

Db, thank you for your opinion. All very good points. Between 2 acl replacements, a couple of scopes, and a lifetime of tennis, I hear you loud and clear. My Bandit has bar risers and I've flipped the pegs which helped a little with the legroom. Those mods in addition to the Corbin seat have improved my scoot's ergos over stock.
Part of my reason for starting this thread is one of the points you made. Resale value. Even though I got a great deal on a low miles unit with several mods on it, resale value will still be pretty iffy.
Im about to decide on one of two things. Either upgrade my forks and shock, or sell it and buy a more modern bike. If I plunk down well in excess of 1k to upgrade my suspension then I'm gonna be riding the Bandit for a very long time. Not necessarily a bad thing because I really do still enjoy this bike a lot and commute on it nearly every day... As long as it's not raining... Yes, even in this god forsaken heat wave. You SoCal guys please send me some San Diego weather. Please. 

Archived