Bike blown over in wind.....

So we had a bad storm on Friday night and my bike blew over. It was on the side stand and landed on the left side. Cracked the fairing the surrounds the tank, broke the left hand guard and scratched the engine case. Does anyone know where to get these parts as well as tips for storing your motorcycle in bad weather so this doesn't happen again? I live in an apartment so my options for parking are limited.

• Premium Member
Did it get blown over by being lifted upright or roll forward off the side stand?

If parking a bike on the side stand always engage a gear to stop it rolling forward. If on a slope, face the bike uphill
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest dmizer
In addition to what wessie said, was the bike covered? Covers can often catch wind like a sail and cause the bike to fall over.

As to parts, you're probably stuck with ordering from Yamaha through a dealership.

Bike did have a cover on it so in sure that's what happened. Was able to find the parts so it'll be back up and drive able shortly. Still wish there was a better way to store it outside so this doesn't happen again. I am unable to park it in hallways etc.

• Premium Member
Can you strap it down? When you take your bike on a ferry it gets strapped down with a ratchet, might be worth having a look to see if there is something near by you can strap it to.
or sink one of those flush ground anchors into the ground (or into a wall), assuming you are able to use the same place to park each day 
it will increase security from theft and secure the bike from blowing over - maybe use a loose chain for theft security and a ratchet strap to lash the bike down. A bit of a faff though.  I'm so glad I took my time to find a house in my limited price range with a garage, and then fit a roller door - not that I'm feeling smug :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Can you strap it down? When you take your bike on a ferry it gets strapped down with a ratchet, might be worth having a look to see if there is something near by you can strap it to.
or sink one of those flush ground anchors into the ground (or into a wall), assuming you are able to use the same place to park each day 
it will increase security from theft and secure the bike from blowing over - maybe use a loose chain for theft security and a ratchet strap to lash the bike down. A bit of a faff though.  I'm so glad I took my time to find a house in my limited price range with a garage, and then fit a roller door - not that I'm feeling smug :)
I managed to find a garage that came with a free flat - you have to get the priorities right! 

Is your garage en suite? I can step out of my bedroom into the garage.
I bought my townhouse (row house, 1 of 4 homes) mostly because of the attached 2 car garage. Master bedroom is directly above the garage. From the garage's inside door I go directly:
- left: down stairs to basement
- straight: into kitchen
- right: half bathroom.

After 17 years it still suits me well. Not much to look at though...
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Guest dmizer
I unfortunately won't be able to sink an anchor and do not have a garage. Sounds like I just have to pray basically for no more wind storms haha.

When you park your bike, leave it in first gear and lock the steering. Get two big wooden wedges (like a wheel chock) to stick under each side of the bike and prevent it from tipping over in a wind storm like this (for example):

5vKcIEz.jpg

• Premium Member
That is not a British or French ferry! There appears to be large gaps between the bikes.

Archived