Which Motorcycle GPS?

IPhone. When Im out of range from a tower, I used MotionX (back when I had my DR650 and would end up following tracks via GPS only). Google Maps works great. Need to find another good app to replace MotionX now that it has gone out of business.

I've been considering the TomTom Rider 400. Even though I already have a ram mount ball ready to be used, I'm fairly certain it comes with a universal ram mount kit. It seems to have pretty good reviews, would be curious if anyone here has happened to pick one up yet. 
http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Rider-400-Portable-Motorcyle/dp/B011J1P9NG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460653813&sr=8-1
sk8nsanta - have you tried the TomTom yet? I have a Garmin unit and for the life of me, I have not been able to use basecamp to upload my .GPX routes. I wonder if TomTom devices are easier to use in this regards... 
I store the gpx file on the computer hard drive, then just hook up my Garmin 780 to the computer with a USB cable and drag and drop the file into Garmin/gpx folder located in the GPS device's folder.  I also use MS Streets and Trips.  Easy and always comes up.  When I have multiple day rides that I have planned, I break them down into day rides and store them as gpx files, which in turn I can drag and drop as many files as I have made.  I have done it this way for many years and will do 2 week trips with many gpx files.  The Garmin doesn't have enough memory to store a 7 day ride, and that is why I always break the ride down into day rides.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Zumo 500. I bought it in 2008 when I got my GTR1400 (Concours) and paid a little extra for the lifetime maps. It is not too big and has its own power supply and takes SD cards so I can have it working in the US, Thailand, Europe etc with ease when I use it as a car SatNav. I was thinking of getting a newer version 6xxx recently but then thought better of it as it's not necessary right now.

4566679.jpg

• Premium Member
I've been considering the TomTom Rider 400. Even though I already have a ram mount ball ready to be used, I'm fairly certain it comes with a universal ram mount kit. It seems to have pretty good reviews, would be curious if anyone here has happened to pick one up yet. 
http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Rider-400-Portable-Motorcyle/dp/B011J1P9NG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460653813&sr=8-1
sk8nsanta - have you tried the TomTom yet? I have a Garmin unit and for the life of me, I have not been able to use basecamp to upload my .GPX routes. I wonder if TomTom devices are easier to use in this regards... 

Basecamp takes a while to get used to as it does not use the windows style file structure familiar to those who used Mapsource.

Like Ken, I create GPX files (use the export function in Basecamp) as these are easy to share with others and I can put them on my netbook which will happily run Mapsource but does not have the processing capacity needed for Basecamp. I can take the netbook on trips if I want which allows me to edit routes if needed.

My Zumo 390 works fine with Basecamp, either transferring routes built into the Trip feature or individually as GPX files using the export function.

My Zumo has an SD card and I can also upload GPX routes to this from any computer using a USB cable as the Zumo can work just like a memory stick. Those GPX files can then be imported into the Zumo's trip planner for use. The large memory card in my Garmin Zumo allows you to store many GB of route files which overcomes the problem Ken describes with the older 780 unit only being able to store 10 routes.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Please allow me to ask a question of the garmin gurus on this site.  I have a garmin 660 and use basecamp on a Mac.  For years, I have done 'routes' on the computer and transferred to the gps with pretty good results.  I recently updated all the software and map of the colonies (sorry Wessie) and find some changes.

First of all, I have had issues on long trips with the 'route' seeming to run out of memory or something.  It would return a comment that there are no roads near the destination, when this was obviously not true.  Quitting the route and restarting helped with this.

So the new Basecamp has a new thing called a 'trip'.  It lets you plan day by day and build up a pretty large file.  But I haven't tested this on the road yet.  Has anyone tried it?  I'm plotting a trip of about 8000 miles.  Since I don't know where I'll end up on any day, I have made each day about 500 miles.  But I'm nervous about setting off on the trip not knowing if the 'trip' function works well.

Any comments?

• Premium Member
yes, the trip function works fine - on the Garmin you will see much the same thing as you would do plotting individual routes i.e. a list with the trip names that you select on a particular day

with the unit locking up, this can be caused (worst on the 3x0 Zumo series) by intermittent power connections. You need to keep an eye on the power pins to make sure they do not stick down. The 660 uses a different cradle to the 3x0 series so maybe less of an issue. I'd still check for loose wires or if you plug the cradle lead into the accessory socket, can the plug work loose as you go over a bump?

It's a shame they got rid of the chunky cable from the 2610 as this never had a power related problem.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
A paper map and a smart phone will get you almost anywhere.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
as will a sextant and star chart but not quite so easy to use

• Premium Member
There you go Wessie, talking about sex again. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I was just referencing the over thinking of things.  
Yes I have a GPS. I have used it a great deal. Mostly to find places that I was sent to, to pick up antiques. I picked up close to half of what you see here.

http://ourbackyardmuseum.org/

I find them useful for point to point travel. Most of the time that's not what I'm looking for when I travel for myself. Especially on the bike.

I have driven across the USA twice in the last 18 months. LA to Ft Lauderdale, 21 days. Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale, 17 days. Using a road atlas and a smartphone.

The only rule that we had was "No Interstates". However a casual conversation with other travelers changed that rule. They suggested I-70 from Salinas UT. to Grand Junction CO. As beautiful a stretch of road as any I've been on.

After years as a government employee (FF/PM) and my friend as a US Army SF operative. Being a bit more free form is important to us. When using a GPS people tend to get focused on following the purple line..

JMHO YMMV :)  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
As you will see in other threads, I make a habit of organising trips. GPX files are great ways to share routes and waypoints. The trips aren't regimented but we have a Facebook page where we can chat about things in the run up to the trip. We tend to use a base for 2 or 3 nights, so suggestions for roads to ride and places to visit are made for those days without full luggage.

I tend to have a peak at roads using google maps to check out the terrain as part of my research before the trip. From that, I will stick a few waypoints into the satnav which can then be strung together to form a route. It's also handy to have a few places that can be visited to spend a few hours off the bike as a contingency if you get some bad weather. I also use maps for planning as the 1:200000 series by Michelin are lovely to use for banging a few waypoints into the computer or just stuffing into the tankbag map pocket.

As @gotfz1 says, with a waypoint in the satnav, at the end of a day out where you may just be following your nose without caring where you go as long as the roads are fun to ride and/or scenic, it is very easy to get back to that base hotel in time to meet the others for the very important preprandial beers.

Archived