Cutting a wide screen way down - good or bad idea?

fanowater

• Premium Member
Bought the Parabellum fly screen and 24" touring screen. The fly screen is great, but I can't get the big screen dialed in. I am leaving on a big trip soon and don't have time to order another screen.  I have tried every height, angling it back with various washer/spacer combos, pulled the thick rubber bumpers out and put the stock ones back on, etc., So I am thinking of cutting the wide screen at about the same height as the fly screen. I am thinking this will give me the clean air around the helmet that I like, but get the turbulent blast off my chest. Any thoughts?
I know I praised the big screen earlier, but realize my test ride that day was at too low a speed.  I doubt I ever got over 60 mph.  Still think it is a good screen, just not the correct size for me.  Parabellum was happy to work with me, but I have run out of time.
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
So I cut the stock screen down instead and added some plexi at the top to get some width. Cutting the stock screen down by 6.5 inches gave relatively quiet riding, but no wind protection. Adding some width just made turbulence. I even tried riding without a screen. The FJ just has lousy aerodynamics.

Finally reached a good solution with the Parabellum flyscreen with a Puig medium visor.
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
Took a 250 mile trip last night to see my brother-in-law and his twin ankle-biters. Embarrassingly this is the first long ride on the bike I've owned since April...

I'm not enough of a rider to care that much about the suspension, bikes are inherently uncomfortable over long distances in my experience, but I did get the seat reupholstered and changed out my screen. After some experimenting I cut down a Powerbronze touring screen to about 4" above the clocks. It felt good about town and on the twisters but just gets miserable on the highway at a reasonable pace (~85mph). I've looked at many, many options and ideas on this forum and elsewhere but am reluctant to go for a tall screen and then put what I consider to be an ugly visor at the top of it too.

I love the bike and love farkling even more so won't trade it in for anything else for some time. I will probably concede that for anything other than a hundred miles-or-so on the back roads, this is not going to be a touring bike or be able to get close to a cut down version of my old GTR1400 (Concours). In future I'll just have to take one of the cars instead.

If anybody comes-up with the ultimate, all-in-one screen that will stop the roar and alleviate the buffeting, I have the cash waiting...

• Premium Member
If anybody comes-up with the ultimate, all-in-one screen that will stop the roar and alleviate the buffeting, I have the cash waiting...
I just mounted a Puig clip on adjustable visor to a Parabellum Flyscreen and am very happy with it.  Will post a pic Monday when I'll get a chance to wash it.Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
Parabellum flyscreen with Puig clip on Visor. For me (5'8", 29 inch inseam), the screen in the high position with the Puig sticking straightforward was the best position.
Cheers

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/daleh627/media/Flyscreen%20wVisor_zpstbmzqy8n.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
Thanks for the pics Fanowater, that Parabellum screen looks incredibly thick, presumably no flex or wobble over 70mph as reported with the Puig touring screen? I've similar dimensions to you so this could be the option to go for, I don't want to look like I'm in command of a BMW C1!

• Premium Member
Thanks for the pics Fanowater, that Parabellum screen looks incredibly thick, presumably no flex or wobble over 70mph as reported with the Puig touring screen?
I'm sure Parabellum users can confirm or deny this, but I'd be surprised if any screen that doesn't have its own mounting system were wobble-free.  The FJ's screen mounts themselves are just not that stable.  Given the shape of the screen I'd expect less buffeting than some (maybe even most or all) other screen options, and that will surely help, but I wouldn't expect it to be completely steady. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Like Fazerian says, the Flyscreen does not flex or wobble at all - even with the clip on visor. My Yamaha mount does, but I can only tell when I grab it and move it.
This fall I will convert the clip on to a permanent mount. Just don't have time right now.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived