• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Transmission gets lost sometimes when trying to downshift

I just bought mine, have all of 100 miles on it, but one thing that bothers me is sometimes the transmission seems to go limp on me when I try to downshift.  Always seems to happen when I come up on a red light and as I slow down and try to shift down through the gears, the shifter sometimes goes limp.  Display shows no gear and it wont downshift.  If i click it up and down again a few times it comes back, but its unsettling because it feels like the light is going to turn green and I'll be stuck in 6th gear.  Its almost like the ratchet mechanism isn't catching or something.

Agree. It doesn't like being kicked down through multiple gears. You have to be more deliberate about coming to a stop by changing down on approach, otherwise you get a blank screen and no idea what gear you are in.
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

Hmm, I'd like to hear if the recall work has already been done. I am thinking really hard on this bike, but between a few people having the starting issues and now this I'm getting a bit concerned and wonder if it would be better to wait a year or so to get the bugs worked out.

Hmm, I'd like to hear if the recall work has already been done. I am thinking really hard on this bike, but between a few people having the starting issues and now this I'm getting a bit concerned and wonder if it would be better to wait a year or so to get the bugs worked out.
Recall work was done on mine. Screwed around with the shift lever position and now I'm much happier.  Rode today and didn't miss a gear. Never had a starting issue, so I don't know what that might be? I've owned quite a few bikes over the years and this thing is pretty solid. Like any new bike, it takes some adjustment, but soon becomes second nature. For all those riders with wind noise issues, buy some ear plugs or a quieter helmet.  
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

Well...I have both of the issues. Wont start the first try cold, and it has the same issue when downshifting through the gears(coming up to a red light) The bike overall is great, but I would love to get these two things fixed. Good luck with your decision.

• Premium Member
Mine also has problems downshifting multiple gears when I am stopped. Is this a repair issue? Should I talk to my dealer about it? If I downshift while moving it shifts fine. If I let out the clutch a little between shifts then it will downshift fine.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Mine also has problems downshifting multiple gears when I am stopped. Is this a repair issue? Should I talk to my dealer about it? If I downshift while moving it shifts fine. If I let out the clutch a little between shifts then it will downshift fine.
That's normal for most bikes. 

I've noticed on my other motorcycles that if the chain tension is too tight, the shifting is not smooth or you can miss gears. As we know, the factory spec for the chain is pretty dang tight. I've got 5k miles on my FJ and have seen the in-between gear symptom maybe 3 times with the tight chain. Not bad.

Make sure the shift lever is adjusted for your riding boots. Give the shifter deliberate input and always make sure you bring the lever back to the middle position before initiating another shift. If you're trying to shift while stopped, the transmission won't be happy. At least try and roll your bike back and forth a few inches while shifting. Hope this helps!

No need to wait - there are no bugs. The FJ is about as perfect a motorcycle for the money that you will find in today's market. 

Archived