Transmission gets lost sometimes when trying to downshift

This "problem" is actually not a problem at all. If you are coming to a stop and are downshifting multiple gears at one time and suddenly the gear indicator screen goes blank, simply release the clutch a little bit, emphasis on a "little" bit, and you will immediately get the current gear indicated on the screen. It was in that gear all the time only you had no way to tell. The FJ-09 is the most perfect motorcycle I have ever owned.

• Premium Member
The clutch has nothing to do with the blank gear indicator. I almost always use the clutch every gear (ingrained from driver's ed and MSF). At one point I rolled to a stop, pulling and requesting the clutch, with the bike in a false neutral between 3 rd and 4 th. Couldn't get the bike back in gear while rolling to a stop. Finally managed to get it into gear holding the clutch and walking it while pushing the shift lever. You definitely need a firm tap on the shift lever most of the time. Not as bad as Triumph (try getting into neutral after you've stopped) but much grumpier than my Kawasaki's.

The clutch has nothing to do with the blank gear indicator.

Disagree. It certainly does. What causes the difficult shifting issues when you are at a stop is that there is NO MOVEMENT from the output shaft of the transmission when the rear wheel is stationary.

The gears and dogs in the tranny mesh more easily when there is rotational and lateral movement. Manipulating the clutch while at a standstill causes the power from the crankshaft to couple and un-couple momentarily with the primary gear, which moves the trans shafts, allowing easier shifting and engaging of the gear dogs.
what dndfindley wrote is spot on.
Skip

• Premium Member
For all those riders with wind noise issues, buy some ear plugs or a quieter helmet.

Noise sensitivity varies hugely. I prefer ear plugs, a quiet helmet, AND a functional windscreen. The quieter and less turbulent, the better for me.

I finally have a windscreen that allows me to ride with the face shield up at highway speeds if I choose to (wearing glasses at least) and I couldn't be more happy.

I will provide details in a future post.

• Premium Member
Disagree. It certainly does.

I wasn't specific enough. My mistake. What I meant was that, once I got stuck in that false neutral, it didn't matter if the clutch was engaged or not. I was still stuck in the false neutral. It took repeated jabs at the shift lever (with clutch in) before I could engage a gear.

My response was to the comment that we could simply feed a little clutch to fix the problem. No, I couldn't.

The clutch has nothing to do with the blank gear indicator.
Disagree. It certainly does. What causes the difficult shifting issues when you are at a stop is that there is NO MOVEMENT from the output shaft of the transmission when the rear wheel is stationary.

The gears and dogs in the tranny mesh more easily when there is rotational and lateral movement. Manipulating the clutch while at a standstill causes the power from the crankshaft to couple and un-couple momentarily with the primary gear, which moves the trans shafts, allowing easier shifting and engaging of the gear dogs.
what dndfindley wrote is spot on.
Skip
Thank you Skip.  I was about to give 1moreroad a piece of my mind and then I read your reply to him.  It gave me a moment to take a deep breath and reconsider what would have been a flame post.  I feel all better now:) 

Update: It seems to have gotten much better on its own as I get close to my 600 mile milestone. Maybe it was just tight in there and needed to be broken in. It hasn't gotten lost on my last 3-4 rides that I can think of.

Archived