Washing the bike

This bike sure has a lot of nooks and crannies.  I have purchased a bunch of kitchen brushes in different shapes and I use a high end McGuire's car wash in warm water.  A bit of hose, then soap with brushes, then dry with a microfiber towel.  But there are tons of places you can't get to. 

How do you wash it?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This bike sure has a lot of nooks and crannies.  I have purchased a bunch of kitchen brushes in different shapes and I use a high end McGuire's car wash in warm water.  A bit of hose, then soap with brushes, then dry with a microfiber towel.  But there are tons of places you can't get to.   
How do you wash it?

Hose, McGuire soap and dry it with a leaf blower.

• Premium Member
Hose, some cheap car wash soap and an old sponge. I dry off the windshield and painty bits with an old towel.

Or in the winter months, I'll just go for a ride in the rain.

I've heard any car wash with "wax" in it or car washes claiming to wax your car will make matte paint look shiny and to avoid it. I'm not sure if thats true or not, but I use soap that doesn't have it in it. Anybody else hear or experience that?
Yes avoid Power Washers on Motorcycles!! Early Death to your bike. 
1. Bike Brite

http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Brite-MC44TR-Motorcycle-Spray/dp/B0068EOG02/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1439424629&sr=8-6&keywords=bike+brite

2. Hose

3. Leaf Blower

With Bike Brite Motorcycle must be cold. Do not use if engine is warm.

I haven't washed my bike yet, the neighbors are nosey enough and with the drought going on I'm sure I'll have someone complain to the HOA. Ive just been using quick detailer and cleaning it up once or twice a week, it seems to be working pretty well.

I use Motul dry wash spray. Spray it onto the visible surfaces, then wipe away. I'll put it on a bit thicker on really stubborn FOD, then scrub to wipe off. Doesn't polish the matte finish anywhere, but leaves the bike looking clean and fresh.

I found that the small "briefcase" vacuum that came with my Orec XL makes a great bike and car dryer. I take the bag out to maximize airflow and put the crevice tool on the hose to concentrate the airflow. After a few minutes it's even blowing warm air.  I also tried the reverse flow on my big shop vac.  It dries faster but it's noisy as hell and isn't worth the extra hassle.

I bought the matte finish silver bike. I love the looks, but checking online I read that typical wax-based washes and protectants will "fill" the rough matte surface and ruin it. I bought a matte-specific sealer and a bottle of wash from The Chemical Guys via Amazon. The stuff works ok, but I wonder if anyone has used other matte/satin-finish products they recommend.

Archived