Washing the bike

Joy, Dawn or most any dish detergent as they have grease cutting agents and mild on the paint. Also cheap.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would recommend only using car soap with no wax in it. I found that the wax dries on the engine parts and coats it with a white wax film. After I'm done washing it I hand dry a bit and start my engine for a couple minutes, than I go for a ride to air dry and than a quick final wipe.

• Premium Member
Joy, Dawn or most any dish detergent as they have grease cutting agents and mild on the paint. Also cheap.
in the UK washing-up liquid as we call dish detergent contains huge amounts of salt as a thickener. I wouldn't recommend it for use as a vehicle detergent
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone figured out the best way to get all that spun off chain lube off the rear wheel without using gasoline? Carb cleaner?
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
Has anyone figured out the best way to get all that spun off chain lube off the rear wheel without using gasoline? Carb cleaner?
S-100 works great: 
http://www.amazon.com/S100-12001B-Total-Cleaner-Bottle/dp/B000WJX6IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447985128&sr=8-1&keywords=s-100

This is basically the same stuff as Honda Brite used to be.  I use this to clean gunk off of metal parts all the time.  I have no idea how safe it is for paint so I am careful to keep it away from plastics.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
For stuff like that I use engine degreaser sold at most auto parts stores.  Spray it on and then use your soapy cloth to wipe it off.  I even use it on the chain and use a chain brush to get the crud off.  Usually let the chain dry overnight and then apply a fresh coat of chain lube.

For stuff like that I use engine degreaser sold at most auto parts stores.  Spray it on and then use your soapy cloth to wipe it off.  I even use it on the chain and use a chain brush to get the crud off.  Usually let the chain dry overnight and then apply a fresh coat of chain lube.

I use a little WD-40 and a rag, then wash the rim as normal.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
+1 WD40 is a good gunk remover.  
My bikes never see more water pressure than they're likely to get riding around in a storm.

Ok, I lied. After the Dalton Highway I did stop at a coin wash in Fairbanks to try and get the mud calcium chloride mix off of the FJR.

28.jpg

Been there and done that! 3 years later I still have traces of that mud/mix on my panniers. And that is after many car washes. Did you go all the way to Deadhorse? 

Archived