Washing the bike

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I'm in the club too :)  ... That calcium doesn't make for a good wet riding surface though.  :'( 

VxqTqfd.jpg

Ouch!! Know exactly what you mean. I didn't get rained on until about 10 miles from the pavement going to Fairbanks. But, the Alaska Highway Dept. generously watered the road down for us, and provided more than a few pucker moments. Tires are the major factor on that road, and I didn't have the right ones. 

• Premium Member
I have some too, only I didn't have to wash it off. Rental bike. :-) 
Cabin-1.jpg
A DL650?  Looks like you had the right tires for the trip. Where are the cabins? I stayed at the dorms at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks and Anchorage. A great deal! 

• Premium Member
I have some too, only I didn't have to wash it off. Rental bike. :-) 

A DL650?  Looks like you had the right tires for the trip. Where are the cabins? I stayed at the dorms at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks and Anchorage. A great deal!
That was on the Denali Highway, near Paxson.  I rented a V-Strom from Motoquest in Anchorage and rode it about 1,500 miles around AK.  Didn't make it up to Prudhoe Bay though.  Great trip.

• Premium Member
That was on the Denali Highway, near Paxson.  I rented a V-Strom from Motoquest in Anchorage and rode it about 1,500 miles around AK.  Didn't make it up to Prudhoe Bay though.  Great trip.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat.....oh wait....that's my wife waving legal papers at me...no more 6 week trips without her I guess....but it was a blast! 

• 2 weeks later...
Mine is the flat dark grey color. With no chrome or shiney paint t worry about I don't worry about washing it that often unless I got rained on and mud n road skudge all over it. But I wash every so often just t get dust, road grime off of it, etc.

But when I do I wash a section at a time starting with the tail end. I just squirt whatever section I'm washing, wash with a rag, rinse off. I wash seat, saddlebags, rear fender n rear lights first. Then I do the rear wheel, chain guard, etc.

Then I do tank n upper middle, rinse that off then I do the engine, rinse it off of course

Then handle bar set up, mirrors, dash, etc and upper front end, windshield, lights, upper forks, etc.

Then I do the front wheel, lower forks, fender, etc.

I towel dry the winshield, mirrors, handlebars, etc the take it for a fast ride to blow the rest off.
"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

• 2 months later...

Archived