New From Wisconsin

Hi everyone! I'm from Wisconsin and will be going to test ride an FJ-09 this afternoon.  I'm 24 and have been riding for 6 years.  I started on a Buell Blast, then moved to a Yamaha R6.  I then started doing track days at places like Road America and Blackhawk Farms.  I eventually bought a race ready SV650, so I could get faster on a slower bike, and started racing with CCS the last two summers.

I have been riding a 2005 R6 on the street for the last 3 seasons, and I'm getting tired of it.  I mostly commute to work (~30 min each way), with the occassional weekend ride. But lately, i haven't been doing longer rides because frankly, the R6 is super uncomfortable for more than 30 minutes.

So I started doing research and thought I wanted an FJR1300, but then Yamaha came out with the FJ-09.  The price is attractive, as is the lighter weight in comparison to the FJR1300.  I also think it looks better.  I'll still be able to do sporty riding on the weekends with the FJ-09, but remain more comfortable, and maybe tackle some weekend trips with camping!

I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums, and have already decided on some things to do if I purchase an FJ-09:
-ECU Flash
-Saddlebags (OEM Yamaha)
-Heated Grips
-Top Case
-Maybe a different windshield
-Maybe a seat
-Maybe suspension after I ride it for a season and find faults.  I usually leave street suspension alone, just get a baseline done, and save my money for my race bike haha.

Some pics of my SV650 Race Bike:
FB_IMG_1433432158224_zpsekmjnihv.jpg

Old paintjob last year:
Image2_zps64d001c4.jpg

So I'm hoping I enjoy it during the test ride today, and hopefully can join you guys in ownership.  I may not be able to purchase until spring, but we'll see how much my 2005 R6 sells for.

• Premium Member
Welcome! Nice looking SV!

Sadly, I no longer have my SV, but it did a track day or two when I had it. If I ever get the urge to do more track days, I'll probably be looking for another one.

SVotM-BB.jpg

Wow I loved it! The bike had 0 miles and the dealer took me on a scenic 12 mile route around a lake. I definitely want this as my next bike.

I was told
$8899 for the bike
$1100 for saddlebags, locks, mounts, and heated grips. MSRP was about $1400
$250 install for those things (I'll probably just do myself, i'm mechanically inclined)
$500 freight charge
$TTL

So about 10500? I suppose tax will add another $450. Should I try to talk them down more?

They were all super friendly, and we talked for a good 30 minutes about other stuff too.

20150812_170106_zps3y6n5qr5.jpg
20150812_155739_zpswphctjgg.jpg
20150812_155732_zpsbw57xfie.jpg

• Premium Member
That is a fabulous deal. Take it!

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• 2 weeks later...
Okay I'm close to selling my 2005 R6, and am going into the dealer again today to see if we can work out a deal! I figure I have an advantage, it's nearing the end of the season, and this dealer surely doesn't want a motorcycle taking up space and money in their storage all winter!

Well I was bad yesterday. I bought it lol. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

I got the Yamaha Extended Warranty too! I never buy the warranties, but he offered it for $570 for 4 additional years. It was $790 or something, and I declined it, at which point he offered it cheaper.

I won't be doing many, if any, accessories this year, but next year I have plans.

And yes, it remains covered when not being ridden.

20150827_190523_zpsing5v2ec.jpg

Archived