Fuel Tank Capacity

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mile per gallon posts are fairly useless without stating UK or US gallons. For what its worth, my tank took 4.8 US gallons to fill up half the holes in the baffle when I intentionally ran it to empty.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
My new in July 2016 Red 2015 FJ-09 averages about 41 ~ 43 mpg on our crappy 91 octane E10 fuel and the gas gauge was fairly accurate and ran down normally until recently (at about 5,300 miles) when it started sticking on full until about 105 miles then suddenly dropping to half full where it should be approximately. This has occurred over the last 4 or so fill ups except for one when I filled up and the gauge was stuck at about half way then suddenly went to full and then did the usual stick until 105 miles thing. Weird. I've run as far as 21 miles on the blinking empty light count-down and get about 2 mpg less than the mpg indicated.

Gas_Gage_stuck_on_full_until_100_miles.jpg

2016_09_25_Fuel_Gage_Right_After_Fill_Up.jpg

• Premium Member
I think the normal behavior of the gas gauge is to show full until you have used half a tank, then stop showing the long bar to the far right. Each subsequent bar disappears after some amount of gas consumption, until you get really low, and then you get a flashing E + the left most bar. I haven't ever run it out of gas, but I have seen the flashing gauge a few times. I do get at least 200 miles on a tank, but I've never pushed it to see how far I could go.

• Premium Member
I think the normal behavior of the gas gauge is to show full until you have used half a tank, then stop showing the long bar to the far right. Each subsequent bar disappears after some amount of gas consumption, until you get really low, and then you get a flashing E + the left most bar. I haven't ever run it out of gas, but I have seen the flashing gauge a few times. I do get at least 200 miles on a tank, but I've never pushed it to see how far I could go.

Correct. There is no three quarter full mark. Generally when I get to 100 miles my fuel gauge jumps to half from the full mark. The best method of gauging fuel is to do the math. Miles divided by gallons gives you MPG. That's U.S. On my Ural the trip meter is in Km's. So the math is; Km. Times .62 then divide that number by gallons to get mpg U.S.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
I installed the Kev O2 controller so I think that dropped my mpg but even before the O2 controller I never got over 45 actual mpg (i.e., not per the meter display), and now if I take it easy (usually in Mode A as with Kev's O2 unit it is finally very manageable and Standard now in comparison seems flat) only average 41 to 43 mpg, 45 max, on our crappy E10 91 octane.

BTW, run an ounce per gallon of Chevron Techron Plus Concentrate every 4th tank full if you have to run E10.

Any other fuel additive including Sea Foam is basically snake oil or as with Sea Foam just refined oil and hydrocarbon solvents that shock carbon loose when it ignites on super hot combustion chamber particulates, not really a good thing as they can become fused to the valve mating surfaces. Techron actually cleans the valves, intake and exhaust tracks and the combustion chamber.

I average 55mpg. Always fill up with the bike level.

interesting that reserve goes for 40 miles, I've only ever braved 20 miles before ducking into a petrol station. might have to try a bit further!

important thing to note with MPG figures, your tyre pressures will affect it A LOT, check your tyres are right. 

• 4 months later...
Most vehicles fuel gauge is not accurate int the top 1/2 anyways so it doesn't bother me much.
Couple of my riding buddies are always anxious to fill up after 200 km so when I ride with them my gauge often still shows 1/2 tank.

I think my average is in the low to mid 50's as well mpg US (just over 5 l / 100 km)

So I guess in theory I could easily do 200 miles per tank.

(all this miles / km / gallon / liter is confusing me lol)

• 4 weeks later...
Hey @gilfairfax, did you ever figure out why your bike only takes 4.2 gallons?  

I seem to have the same issue. Fuel indicator flashes at ~140 miles, I average an indicated 40-43 mpg city/hwy commuting, and haven't gotten more than 4.2 gallons (that's US California type gallons) in even after driving about 30 miles on reserve.

For people who say the difference is sidestand vs centered up, I do fill up on the sidestand.  Centering the bike after filling up reveals that the fuel level still reaches the tank fill insert thingie.... It certainly doesnt't seem like there's room for another half gallon.  I'll try the center stand next time I fill up and report back.  

Very frustrating.  Having a limited range on longer trips is awful. If anyone is curious I do have 2wheeldyno reflash; no noticeable change to gas mileage. 

I had been averaging 54.5 ,but it's dropped off to 49.4. I've come to the conclusion that more fun = less MPG. I've put over 4.6 gallons in mine a few times. Not sure whats going on with your bike, but the fuel capacity seem right on.