Any Regrets??

^^Stupid is as Stupid does^^ (rofl)

I'm a little late to the thread, but I spent some time on a buddie's Versys 1K this morning, so I thought I'd chime in...

I was originally looking at the BMW S1000XR, but the long wait and overly high (IMHO) msrp jump from the S1000R turned me off. I was also looking at the Versys, but again, they weren't available when I bought my FJ9 in April. I've still been very interested in riding one.

I came off a Hayabusa, on which I was touring, with aftermarket hard luggage and other farkels. I'm an experienced track rider, and in my touring bikes I want handling, abundant power, and decent range. I wanted to get back into a more upright bike (had a 1st year VStrom and liked it), and the XR, V1K and FJ fit the bill, as I didn't want a porker like an FJ13. The FJ9 won me over immediately with it's light weight and stellar motor.

Anyway, the Versys... Great bike. You can immediately feel the weight difference, but it carries it low. Combined with the extra wheelbase, and admittedly better suspension, and it just feels solid and planted all the time. The steering, however, was heavier and it just didn't have that "I want to PLAY!" feeling the FJ9 has. I liked the analog tach, but the digital portion of the dash is small and hard to read at speed. Brakes and tranny were great, and it's much quieter going down the road, both mechanically and aerodynamically. The motor was a bit of a disappointment... maybe I just expected too much. Midrange was great, and it's very smooth, but there's no real top end hit. Just seems to fall flat on top, like an old 1200 Bandit. And in a top gear roll-on from 60-115, the FJ9 walked it all the way to the limiter. My riding buddy's got ~40lbs on me, but I don't think that would make up the difference. Nice bike, but I'm glad I went with the FJ9.

There's a lot of discussion about the FJ9's windscreen, suspension, and fuel mapping, and sure, they can all be improved from stock. I haven't done anything but set the suspension for my weight, and put the screen in the lowest position (and I ride in 'A' mode, unless it's raining). I've adapted my riding style to the bike's strengths, which took a few miles, but I'm very happy with it. I will likely upgrade the suspension down the road, but there's no immediate need.

As several others have said, it's nearly the perfect motorcycle. I've owned everything from 250 enduros to Gold Wings (nearly 30 bikes in over 30 years of riding), and I think the FJ9 is about the best all 'rounder I've ever owned. It also tours well, and carves corners better than most riders are able.

So... NO RAGRETS!

Minuses

Just done 640m in 2 days. Seat is an instrument of torture after 90 minutes. I knew this so bought an Airhawk which I tried out for the first time - absolutely horrible. Sore arse sorted out, but felt like I was sitting on a waterbed, absolutely zero sense of control or what the bike was doing underneath me. I have a bagster saddle with Bultex foam on the way, hopefully that will sort it out; if not I will try getting the stock item reupholstered. If that doesn't work I will be getting rid.

Vibes. At certain revs and throttle openings it is a bit tingly - having had a few v-twins before it's a bit more intrusive. I might try some more substantial bar end weights as the stock one are not very hefty. Might need to lose the hand guards.

Screen. Thought I'd got it sorted with a Powerbronze touring screen plus givi visor, but pig-ugly, and I only put it on for big rides; thankfully it's a 2 minute job. I've been riding around with a Puig shorty and after yesterday, I think it's the best option, period. Less noise, clean air, and a bit of pressure to let you know how quick you're going - I had a few moments in the twisties over the weekend! I will try with different helmets, as I suspect this might be a major factor in the noise issue.

Suspension.

Definitely budget, you have a choice between too harsh and too bouncy. Next on the list to sort out if I get the seat sorted.

Pluses

Fun Fun Fun.

Amazing engine. Wheelie monster with TC off (first trime I tried it in 'A' with TC off I nearly shat myself.)

Versatile. A real do it all bike - converts to absolute hooligan tool to decent tourer in 4 minutes.

Price. What do you'all want for nuttin'? A rrrrubber biscuit?

Archived