Any former FZ1 guys out there?

I just got my first ride on the FJ-09 from the Yamaha demo truck. I did it two up with my wife, which she was very pleased with and liked how it was upright more than the FZ1 is. The down side of doing two up, is you don't get to feel what it's like solo. It seems like the power to weight ratio is pretty close between the two on paper. For those of you that have switched, any comparisons you'd like to make? I definitely like power, will I be missing any? I should specify the FZ1 is the first gen of the '05 variety.My observations, wind wise I think it was quieter than my FZ1 by a fairly large margin. But I seemed to notice a bit of a whine around 35-40 mph but it seemed to go away. I loved the upright seating position, so relaxing! An all digital gauge will be different! LOLSomething else I've been wondering, I've read power wheelies in the first three gears, is this for real? I just have a hard time picturing it until I experience it myself. Hard to do in a group ride environment. Any chance I'd miss the FZ1?

• Premium Member
I just got my first ride on the FJ-09 from the Yamaha demo truck. I did it two up with my wife, which she was very pleased with and liked how it was upright more than the FZ1 is. The down side of doing two up, is you don't get to feel what it's like solo. It seems like the power to weight ratio is pretty close between the two on paper. For those of you that have switched, any comparisons you'd like to make? I definitely like power, will I be missing any? I should specify the FZ1 is the first gen of the '05 variety.My observations, wind wise I think it was quieter than my FZ1 by a fairly large margin. But I seemed to notice a bit of a whine around 35-40 mph but it seemed to go away. I loved the upright seating position, so relaxing! An all digital gauge will be different! LOLSomething else I've been wondering, I've read power wheelies in the first three gears, is this for real? I just have a hard time picturing it until I experience it myself. Hard to do in a group ride environment. Any chance I'd miss the FZ1?
I had a 1st gen FZ1 with Penske and GP suspension fork internals and this bike handles way better. There is much more torque on the F-Jay, but the FZ1 has gobs up top. I replaced the FZ1 with an R1, then an FJR1300, and now the F-Jay which is my favorite bike by a large margin. 
Power wheelies will only happen with the traction control turned off which is easy once stopped.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thanks ULEWZ. I have to say I'm very comfortable on the FZ1, it just rails and feels planted through corners, so I can't wait to see what the FJ will do. Obviously it feels much lighter! I knew you had to turn traction control off, but are you really doing power wheelies in three gears?

• Premium Member
Thanks ULEWZ. I have to say I'm very comfortable on the FZ1, it just rails and feels planted through corners, so I can't wait to see what the FJ will do. Obviously it feels much lighter! I knew you had to turn traction control off, but are you really doing power wheelies in three gears?
Not me, not required for me to have fun, plus it is a $1500 ticket in Cali after legal fees. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I just spent 9 days running with two Gen 1 FZ-1s in Colorado. I kept up with them and they kept up with me. We don't do wheelies either.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Odd timing, I just came back from Colorado! I spent last week in the Colorado Springs area. Going up Pikes Peak the old FZ1 was feeling awful weak. The Fuel Injection would probably help that some. Now that I'm back home, it feels like it's running on straight nitrous after a week at those elevations! I hope I didn't come across wrong, wheelies aren't what I want the bike for and I'm certainly not a wheelie nut, that's for the younger guys. My inquiry was strictly incredulous and I'm wondering if what I've heard is for real?

In A mode with the TCS on, a full throttle blast in first will get the front tire up a couple of inches until the TC steps in,it'll do it a couple of times through out first and again into second. I don't see it staying down in third gear if the TC was off. Bike has lots of torque. I haven't ridden with the TC off yet, only have 2K miles on the bike. Still getting to know the bike but I love it. Great bike

• Premium Member
I rode a 03 FZ1 for about 7 years and my personal experience is. As much as I liked my FZ1 I "love" my FJ. I did love that incredible high rpm acceleration of the FZ but realized I was risking my license and life every time I took advantage of it. The FZ probably had more potential than I had skill. Last time I got pulled over on the FZ the cop said he heard me coming way before he saw me, I'm so glad he didn't give me a ticket. With the FJ the exhaust is so quiet, actually wish it was louder, I kind of lose sense of how fast I'm really going, I find it deceivingly very quick. I'm debating on doing the cat mod. I'm not sure why but I'm really enjoying the fact that I can ride the FJ just as fast, if not faster, on twisty roads at a much more relaxed and comfortable pace compared to the FZ1. I can change lines much easier. As far as wheelies go and I'm no wheelie guy but it's kind of cool doing those tiny wheelies when you get on it with the traction control on. I got on it once with TC off and about crapped myself, that was the end of that. Lol Commuting is much better on the FJ as your sitting upright and can see what's going on around you easier compared to the FZ. Also the FJ definitely feels much more nimble.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

"I got on it once with TC off and about crapped myself, that was the end of that."

That is the reason I have never even tried to turn TC off.  I do have an FZ-09 and have also managed to keep the front wheel down.  Too old I guess.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I owned an 05 FZ1 for 30k miles and it was a great bike. In my opinion, the FJ is easier to ride. The bottom end on the FJ is crazy good, but if you like the top end rush of the FZ1, the FJ isn't close. I prefer the handling of the FJ over the FZ1 as well. All in all, I much prefer the FJ. 

I had an 03 FZ1 till recently. As stated above the Fz screams top end, not so with the FJ. I'm glad I switched though and I am a power wheelie junky. The FZ would power wheelie but doesn't compare to the FJ. Don't expect a lot of wheelies in 2nd or 3rd though.

Archived