my Madstad windscreen experience

alejandro

• Premium Member
Great, thanks for the info. I'l go ahead and order on line. 
Interestingly, I met someone with a Strom, traveling through the Redwoods in NorCal, with a Madstad and they also said they loved it.

Thanks again.
Be sure and specify you want the scalloped brackets, although now they may  be the standard. They keep the screen from loosening and tilting back. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a rider 6'1", I ride with my seat in the lowest setting. I am strongly considering the Madstad 24" screen. I am looking for some ratings on a scale of 1 to 10 on the noise reduction from the screen;  1 being terrible, 10 being really quiet. Any other comments regarding the windscreen will be appreciated.  Thanks!
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
I'm a rider 6'1", I ride with my seat in the lowest setting. I am strongly considering the Madstad 24" screen. I am looking for some ratings on a scale of 1 to 10 on the noise reduction from the screen;  1 being terrible, 10 being really quiet. Any other comments regarding the windscreen will be appreciated.  Thanks!
I'm 6' 4" with a 32" inseam. Noise reduction=9. I have a Corbin saddle which is close to as tall as the stock saddle in the high position. I get a comfortable amount of air across my torso. My screen is the 22" dark, and I look over it. I have the scalloped brackets and the screen is adjusted full forward. I tried some other screens, but had a Madstad on my DL1000 V Strom, and loved it. This combo works best for me on this bike. Can't recommend it highly enough. 

4094939.jpg  

4094937.jpg

4094936.jpg

I'm 6' 4" with a 32" inseam. Noise reduction=9. I have a Corbin saddle which is close to as tall as the stock saddle in the high position. I get a comfortable amount of air across my torso. My screen is the 22" dark, and I look over it. I have the scalloped brackets and the screen is adjusted full forward. I tried some other screens, but had a Madstad on my DL1000 V Strom, and loved it. This combo works best for me on this bike. Can't recommend it highly enough.Thanks for the feedback, that is exactly what I'm looking for.  I am a bit surprised that the 22" screen works so well, especially you being 6'4".  I believe I will start with the 22" after seeing your response.  I will be getting the Corbin seat as well.  One thing at a time.  Thanks again! 

Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member

I'm 6' 4" with a 32" inseam. Noise reduction=9. I have a Corbin saddle which is close to as tall as the stock saddle in the high position. I get a comfortable amount of air across my torso. My screen is the 22" dark, and I look over it. I have the scalloped brackets and the screen is adjusted full forward. I tried some other screens, but had a Madstad on my DL1000 V Strom, and loved it. This combo works best for me on this bike. Can't recommend it highly enough.Thanks for the feedback, that is exactly what I'm looking for.  I am a bit surprised that the 22" screen works so well, especially you being 6'4".  I believe I will start with the 22" after seeing your response.  I will be getting the Corbin seat as well.  One thing at a time.  Thanks again! 

Happy to help! Be sure to hang on to the box and dunnage that the screen comes in. I think Madstad will exchange the 22" for the 24" if you want, but check with them.   

• 1 month later...
I see you have aftermarket hand/grip guards. The website says no modification is necessary for this screen. Did you add the new Madstad screen before the guard change?...if so, could you rotate to a full turn without hitting the new screen with the factory guards? I have an email into Rifle to see if their screen requires grip guard modification. I understand Puig needs a mod.

• Premium Member
I see you have aftermarket hand/grip guards. The website says no modification is necessary for this screen. Did you add the new Madstad screen before the guard change?...if so, could you rotate to a full turn without hitting the new screen with the factory guards? I have an email into Rifle to see if their screen requires grip guard modification. I understand Puig needs a mod.
Yes, I did. The stock hand guards rub just a little at full lock. I added the KTM hand guards not only to remedy this, but for wind protection for my hands. They work a treat, were easy to install, and look great. http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-original-factory-handguards  $60....cheap!!! 

• 4 weeks later...
You wouldn't happen to have an updated linky, perchance? This one did not work for me...

www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-original-factory-handguards

-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
You wouldn't happen to have an updated linky, perchance? This one did not work for me... 
www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-original-factory-handguards

-CD-
it worked in Chrome - here's the full link with http bit http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-original-factory-handguards  
also search on the part no. 6030217910030 - this gave me a choice of suppliers in the UK
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
The Part # enabled me to finally see the handgrips, thanks! Unfortunately, the part is listed as not shipped internationally - I'm in the US.

I can fully support PePorter's assessment that this is a fantastic windshield. And the main reason is that it is aerodynamically correct. Most other mfgrs. try to increase the still air pocket by making the screen wider and taller. This works to some degree, but then you're pushing a barndoor thru the wind. And that's not good because it affects performance and is more subject to crosswinds and such.

Madstad virtually eliminates those problems without being too big. I *highly* recommend the Madstad...

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• 4 months later...
The first weekend I had the bike in June 2015, I found the stock screen to be unbearable.  Really strong buffeting and noise.  I am 6'1" and 195.  I read all of the posts and looked at the websites.

I bought the Madstad double deal - a short smoked flyscreen and the clear 22" large screen.  They were easy to install with hand tools in 20 minutes.

Since last fall, I have been riding the large screen with very good results.  My chest and face are in quiet air even at highway speeds.  There is a slight buffet at the top of my helmet.  But I can ride with the faceshield open and no wind in my eyes at all.  Very pleasant and warm.  Not so pretty, tho.  It was even stable in crosswinds which had little effect.  Plus, it is so quiet that I can hear the great engine sounds.

A friend said he leaves his large screen on all year to avoid wind and bugs.  But now that the weather has changed, I was getting too hot so I have switched to the flyscreen.  It looks good.  It results in a clean stream of air into my helmet.  Chest is still in quiet air.

So, unless I go on a highway trip, I be enjoying the short screen.

Both Madstad screens appear to be strong and of high quality.  I have no scratches or problems. And I am happy with both.

• 1 month later...

Archived