My review of the FJ-09 coming from an FJR1300

• Premium Member
I finally got to ride the FJ more than 30 feet into the back yard and here is what my observations are:
I will start with my minor gripes:
If you have a butt like Jaylo, you will like this seat. If you have more bones in your butt than a white fish (like me), then an aftermarket seat is in your future.
If you weigh more than 200 lbs, then stiffer springs may be required (my guess on weight, I am 180 lbs).
The turn signal cancel is hard to hit, so I will adjust the angle (too low from the dealer me thinks).
The windscreen does a good job of keeping the wind off your chest, but will need to be taller for me (I am 6').
The brakes take a lot of force to stop, but hey, they are brand new and not bedded in yet. More to come on that.
The throttle is smooth in all but A mode. In A mode, this thing kicks a$$, but has a little snatch down low (that sounds funny!). May need to increase the idle or buy a flashtune.
Almost no room under the seat for storage.
The good:
This bike is light and very flickable. Changing direction is very easy and effortless.
The size is perfect for me, but might be a little tight for the big boys.
The dash is great and easy to navigate.
The mirrors are 80% visible to me, so that is excellent.
I have the seat in the low position, but will try it higher later.
The headlight is bright, but not like the dual lighted FJR.
It does not feel top heavy at all like the multistrada I test rode.
I think it will be easy to fabricate highway peg brackets for this thing (any fabricators on here?)
I can easily hang off this bike.
The seat height is fine for me and I can easily flat foot it (haven't set the sag yet, so may be soft).
I love the red.
The exhaust note is louder than the stock FJR1300, but still too quiet for my taste (aftermarket exhaust will be in my future).

I am very pleased with the purchase and the little issues will be fixed with aftermarket mods, but hey, I do that on all my bikes.

#fj09review

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

@ulewz yup, that about sums it up. First time I rode mine I thought that there was nothing negative that the aftermarket can't fix. Fundamentally, it's a beautiful machine. I don't mind the seat, but I'm coming from a sport bike, so this thing is like a couch compared to that (still getting used to upright ergos). I'm 6'1" and over 200lbs. Haven't fiddled with the suspension yet, but bumps in the road definitely get my attention.

Just a curiosity, since you have one (or your wife does). I was originally thinking about a Street Triple R before this bike came out, but never got a chance to ride one. If you had to compare, which I know is hard, what would you say?

• Premium Member
@ulewz yup, that about sums it up. First time I rode mine I thought that there was nothing negative that the aftermarket can't fix. Fundamentally, it's a beautiful machine. I don't mind the seat, but I'm coming from a sport bike, so this thing is like a couch compared to that (still getting used to upright ergos). I'm 6'1" and over 200lbs. Haven't fiddled with the suspension yet, but bumps in the road definitely get my attention.  
Just a curiosity, since you have one (or your wife does). I was originally thinking about a Street Triple R before this bike came out, but never got a chance to ride one. If you had to compare, which I know is hard, what would you say?
The ergos are similar, but there is more power on the FJ-09. The street triple has perfect, smooth fueling, but the wind protection is non-existent, even with the fly screen. The street triple is lighter, but not by much. I much prefer the FJ-09. The street triple (we have a type R) rails in the twisties, but I have not flogged the FJ yet to compare. The dash on the street triple is too small for my eyes. The FJ is not too stiff over the bumps IMO, but I like it a little firmer (that sounds funny also!). I always dial my suspension up to sportbike like characteristics, but that is just me.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

@ulewz so, it's like an FJ-09 in B mode with no wind protection? ;)

I haven't had the chance to get too twisty with mine either, but coming from a Ninja 300, I don't think there's any hope of a comparison. From what I read, it will be amazing, but on my Ninja I could cough to the left and it would take a hairpin turn without slowing down. 

• Premium Member
@ulewz so, it's like an FJ-09 in B mode with no wind protection? ;) 

More like an FJ in STD mode with no wind protection, with a sorted suspension, and a sewing machine sounding exhaust.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

@ulewz hmm, interesting. Sounds like it's pretty close. I'll always have that "what if I went Triumph?" thought in my head. Not that I don't love my FJ.
My FJ-09 will replace my 2009 Street Triple R. I put 50,000 km on the STripleR, but won't ride the new FJ until about April (it's currently -26 C here in Ottawa, ON, Canada.) 
My only complaint with the STripleR is the high speed compression damping is too firm. I was thinking of upgrading its suspension when the FJ-09 caught my eye: more power, also triple, more upright riding position (I'm mid 50's), ABS, some wind protection (some is perfect, I like clean air on my helmet, not dead calm.)

I'll write a comparative review after my 2 week trip in May.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Thanks for your initial "review" Ulewz.

You mentioned the headlight being bright, but not like an FJR, which brings me to ask, anyone know if it's possible to have both headlights (left & right) on at the same time?

For one, more lighting, second it just would look better-and more visibility to oncoming traffic.

Thinking the brakes should get better once bedded in.

Guest eatpasta
If you have more bones in your butt than a white fish (like me), then an aftermarket seat is in your future. 

Diminished Gluteal Syndrome (DGS): non-existent buttocks provide insufficient cushioning when one sits, causing one great discomfort and eventually forcing one to wear an "ortho-gluteal" prosthesis

oh and thanks for the initial review, Im sure you'll have a follow up once the bike has been de-chicken stripped.

I finally got to ride the FJ more than 30 feet into the back yard and here is what my observations are: I will start with my minor gripes:
If you have a butt like Jaylo, you will like this seat. If you have more bones in your butt than a white fish (like me), then an aftermarket seat is in your future.
If you weigh more than 200 lbs, then stiffer springs may be required (my guess on weight, I am 180 lbs).
The turn signal cancel is hard to hit, so I will adjust the angle (too low from the dealer me thinks).
The windscreen does a good job of keeping the wind off your chest, but will need to be taller for me (I am 6').
The brakes take a lot of force to stop, but hey, they are brand new and not bedded in yet. More to come on that.
The throttle is smooth in all but A mode. In A mode, this thing kicks a$$, but has a little snatch down low (that sounds funny!). May need to increase the idle or buy a flashtune.
Almost no room under the seat for storage.
The good:
This bike is light and very flickable. Changing direction is very easy and effortless.
The size is perfect for me, but might be a little tight for the big boys.
The dash is great and easy to navigate.
The mirrors are 80% visible to me, so that is excellent.
I have the seat in the low position, but will try it higher later.
The headlight is bright, but not like the dual lighted FJR.
It does not feel top heavy at all like the multistrada I test rode.
I think it will be easy to fabricate highway peg brackets for this thing (any fabricators on here?)
I can easily hang off this bike.
The seat height is fine for me and I can easily flat foot it (haven't set the sag yet, so may be soft).
I love the red.
The exhaust note is louder than the stock FJR1300, but still too quiet for my taste (aftermarket exhaust will be in my future).

I am very pleased with the purchase and the little issues will be fixed with aftermarket mods, but hey, I do that on all my bikes.

2015 FJ-09 matte gray
2013 Honda CB1100
2004 Triumph T100 Bonneville

i too am interested in mounting highway pegs. The Fz-09 SW Motec and H/B engine guards are too high for hiway pegs though the SW Motech engine side guards on mybVersys was perfect.
2015 FJ-09 matte gray
2013 Honda CB1100

Guest eatpasta
2015 FJ-09 matte gray 2015 Indian Scout
2013 Honda CB1100

holy crap dood - you've got a good garage.  That's about as well rounded as you can get.   
    All you need is a 650L and a track bike and you're done!

2015 FJ-09 matte gray 2015 Indian Scout
2013 Honda CB1100

holy crap dood - you've got a good garage.  That's about as well rounded as you can get.   

Thought of keeping the Versys for a track bike but almost 65 and brain does fart.
Thanks for the compliment. Truth be known my FJ is still at dealer in Arkansas waiting on parts to come in and me to then pick up. The Indian is still in Indian country. I got in on the end of the preorder deadline. I just read Indian took 300% more preorders than they expected so they may not get all preordered bikes out till April!"Indian Givers"! When I pick up FJ I am trading I the Versys. For the Scout I traded two bikes in a Suzuki B King and Triumph Speedmaster. These last two new bikes could be the best bikes in my history of 58 bikes.
Ride On!
2015 FJ-09 matte gray
2013 Honda CB1100

Guest eatpasta

Thought of keeping the Versys for a track bike but almost 65 and brain does fart. Thanks for the compliment. Truth be known my FJ is still at dealer in Arkansas waiting on parts to come in and me to then pick up. The Indian is still in Indian country. I got in on the end of the preorder deadline. I just read Indian took 300% more preorders than they expected so they may not get all preordered bikes out till April!"Indian Givers"! When I pick up FJ I am trading I the Versys. For the Scout I traded two bikes in a Suzuki B King and Triumph Speedmaster. These last two new bikes could be the best bikes in my history of 58 bikes.
Ride On!
I saw the new Indian on the street here in LA already and they did a really nice job on that bike.  Im not much of a cruiser guy, but I really like that thing.    Congrats on teh two awesome new bikes from both ends of the spectrum!

Archived