My review of the FJ-09 coming from an FJR1300

• Premium Member
I will post up more reviews as things change. I took the bike in the twisties for the first time on Thursday after work and I was impressed. Very neutral feeling in the turns which I love. The seat was fine for me to hang off of, but my right foot hits something when fully on the ball of my foot to maximize clearance. Must check into that. The herobobs are coming off. Looks like a toothpick sticking down. The brakes feel much better now that they have had a chance to bed in. I will flop the handlebars around, remove the center license plate piece and tuck things back up, and remove the herobobs today.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
ULEWZ, could you tell me how the seat adjust works? I just went to the dealer and looked at one but didn't stay long enough for a salesman to descend. The seat is WAY too soft.

Chris
Works just like an FJR1300. Pull off the rear seat. Pull out the rubber plug with an arrow on it. Deflect the lever under the rubber plug and take off the front seat. Pop up the plastic seat rest from the two rubber grommets, and position the other two posts on the seat rest in the rubber grommets. Position the front of the seat either under the forward mount or on top of it depending on which position you want. Way easier with it in front of you. Takes 1 minute.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

ULEWZ, great review. I'll add a few comments of my own...

About the turn signals, I am finding pretty much all the switch gear to be clumsy to use. I don't know how all the buttons can feel out of place and awkward to use, but that's what it feels like to me. Maybe muscle memory will take over soon and finding switches will become second nature, but right now I am fishing for everything and it's no fun. I also don't like how the key ended up recessed in a pretty deep hole. Hard to get a winter glove down there.

I too find the LED headlight somewhat lacking on low beam. Sure would have been nice if they had double-upped on the low instead of lighting one side only.

Also, I'm beginning to understand more why they called this thing an FJ instead of say a TDM. It really is a sports-touring bike more than it is an adventure-sport. Anyone who thinks they might want to take this onto the dirt should think twice IMO. I feel a good comparison bike is a VFR more than any ADV bike. So Yamaha was correct in branding it with FJ. That is not misleading. It's an FJ in spite of any appearance to the contrary.

About the seat, it does feel a little hard, but then I notice after sitting on it for an hour, my butt still feels pretty good. So something about it is working for me. Maybe that it's so flat? Not sure. Has anyone seen the accessory "comfort seat" sold by Yamaha? Is it available yet?

I also mentioned on another thread that I'm not crazy about the gearbox having come straight across from the FZ. I think the ratios make perfect sense for a bike that is 40 lbs. lighter, has no faring and would rarely be called upon for two-up riding or touring duty. But add in those 40 lbs., a touring load and possibly a passenger, and the fact that it has a faring for greater highway cruising comfort and suddenly the gearing can seem not quite right. The gear spacing feels too tight to me. First should be lower and 6th should be taller IMO. But there's not much that can be done about it. Anyone have a 3D metal printer that can print a new gear set?  :)

You might think I don't like my new bike but you'd be wrong. I have just highlighted some criticisms. The list of things I like is lengthy. I still feel like I am in a honeymoon phase and haven't had a chance to do a lot of riding yet given the season. Time will tell.

• Premium Member
ULEWZ, great review. I'll add a few comments of my own... 
About the turn signals, I am finding pretty much all the switch gear to be clumsy to use. I don't know how all the buttons can feel out of place and awkward to use, but that's what it feels like to me. Maybe muscle memory will take over soon and finding switches will become second nature, but right now I am fishing for everything and it's no fun. I also don't like how the key ended up recessed in a pretty deep hole. Hard to get a winter glove down there.
I readjusted the handlebars and hand guard, problem went away. I didn't hit the horn all day today! The key being way down is an annoyance, but not a show stopper.

I too find the LED headlight somewhat lacking on low beam. Sure would have been nice if they had double-upped on the low instead of lighting one side only.
I will adjust the high beam to mirror the left beam and leave it on high beam.

Also, I'm beginning to understand more why they called this thing an FJ instead of say a TDM. It really is a sports-touring bike more than it is an adventure-sport. Anyone who thinks they might want to take this onto the dirt should think twice IMO. I feel a good comparison bike is a VFR more than any ADV bike. So Yamaha was correct in branding it with FJ. That is not misleading. It's an FJ in spite of any appearance to the contrary.
No comment.

About the seat, it does feel a little hard, but then I notice after sitting on it for an hour, my butt still feels pretty good. So something about it is working for me. Maybe that it's so flat? Not sure. Has anyone seen the accessory "comfort seat" sold by Yamaha? Is it available yet?
I agree, the seat did not bother me all day today. Perhaps I was a little hasty.

I also mentioned on another thread that I'm not crazy about the gearbox having come straight across from the FZ. I think the ratios make perfect sense for a bike that is 40 lbs. lighter, has no faring and would rarely be called upon for two-up riding or touring duty. But add in those 40 lbs., a touring load and possibly a passenger, and the fact that it has a faring for greater highway cruising comfort and suddenly the gearing can seem not quite right. The gear spacing feels too tight to me. First should be lower and 6th should be taller IMO. But there's not much that can be done about it. Anyone have a 3D metal printer that can print a new gear set?  :)
I had no problem with the gearbox today and totally flogged it (within rpm reason since it is not broken in yet). I had little problem being in the right gear, and this thing has plenty of torque if you are a gear low.

You might think I don't like my new bike but you'd be wrong. I have just highlighted some criticisms. The list of things I like is lengthy. I still feel like I am in a honeymoon phase and haven't had a chance to do a lot of riding yet given the season. Time will tell.

Now for my further review. I took it out on a proper run today with GSXRs, VFRs, and CBRs and I had little problem keeping up. Except for the GSXR1000. That thing is scary fast. I am to the edge of the tires and felt very comfortable on it by the middle of the day. Moving the bars 10mm forward was the trick for me. It does seem to get unsettled in high speed turns when you hit a bump. Maybe a fork brace, or a steering damper, or new suspension settings?

It also seems to have a speed limiter at 115 mph (I am told!~) and totally runs out of steam. Maybe just during breakin? That guy got carried away as his bike is not broken in yet. Shame on him.
That is it for now, loving this bike so much that mere words can not explain it. Comfort, power, handling, good looks, great gas mileage 44MPG, etc. To quote lover boy song, "Loving every minute of it".

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived