List Of Seat Options

root

Since I think the majority of people looking at this thread are thinking about improving comfortability (I swear this is a real word), I think for those that Use stock seat pan, you should also state if it includes aftermarket foam or not. For Example the Seat Concepts comes with a new foam while the luimoto is strictly a cover. In my opinion that makes the luimoto not really a seat option only an accessory.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I've said this until I'm blue in the face, but I took my stock seat to the same local upholstery shop I had used on other projects and said "this seat's too hard!" and for $50 he removed the cover, added and shaped extra foam (while still keeping the original cover)and put it all back together. For me, it totally solved the problem for $50. And, they told me when I picked it up that if I still wasn't satisfied they would be glad to modify it some more. I have no idea why people will order a $500 seat sight unseen in the hope that it will solve the problem without first giving this simple solution a shot. The truth is, most people in the upholstery business deal with motorcycle seats all the time. It ain't brain surgery.
I've thought about this too.  I would like to replace the seat so I can keep the stock seat unmolested.  This way I can always go back to stock.  I'm seriously considering the Yamaha Comfort Seat because of this.  If I don't like it, I can have the upholstery shop mutilate the "Comfort Seat" the without worry.

Since I think the majority of people looking at this thread are thinking about improving comfortability (I swear this is a real word), I think for those that Use stock seat pan, you should also state if it includes aftermarket foam or not. For Example the Seat Concepts comes with a new foam while the luimoto is strictly a cover. In my opinion that makes the luimoto not really a seat option only an accessory.
I added a note by the Luimoto that it was a cover only.  Hopefully this satisfies your request.  I'd rather keep everything else simple so it's easier to read and easier to modify.  Good suggestion.

• Premium Member

I just called Sargent (USA) and asked for an update re: the FJ-09 seat.  Basically the best guess of the person I spoke with was that the seat will come out somewhere around the first of next year.  He said they're putting out about one new seat per month, and there are a few bikes on the list in front of the FJ. 

In looking at what Sargent has done with other bikes (such as the Super Tenere), my guess is that Sargent will keep the two separate seat pan concept (at least initially).  I like that, in their descriptions, they emphasize keeping the seat weight as light as possible (the only negative I have with the Corbin is its weight).  Sooo what to do...  Wait to see what it looks like, or do something else.  Maybe check out one of the inexpensive routes (Spencers?) for now and, if needed, upgrade to the Sargent later? 

I think I'm just going to go out and put some more miles on my FJ today to clear my head!  :^)

I just called Sargent (USA) and asked for an update re: the FJ-09 seat.  Basically the best guess of the person I spoke with was that the seat will come out somewhere around the first of next year.  He said they're putting out about one new seat per month, and there are a few bikes on the list in front of the FJ. 

In looking at what Sargent has done with other bikes (such as the Super Tenere), my guess is that Sargent will keep the two separate seat pan concept (at least initially).  I like that, in their descriptions, they emphasize keeping the seat weight as light as possible (the only negative I have with the Corbin is its weight).  Sooo what to do...  Wait to see what it looks like, or do something else.  Maybe check out one of the inexpensive routes (Spencers?) for now and, if needed, upgrade to the Sargent later? 

I think I'm just going to go out and put some more miles on my FJ today to clear my head!  :^)

I'm putting a priority of buying my bags before buying a seat.  I had a couple other unexpected purchases that are delaying me getting the bags.  One happy consequence of this is seeing what Sargent is going to do.  I work with a guy that got a Sargent for his ST1300 and he loves it.  He's the type that puts a ton of miles on his bike too.  I am feeling good about my position of waiting on the seat to see what shakes out from people like Sargent.

• Premium Member

I sent an email to Spencers to get an idea of what he might charge for modifying an FJ-09 seat and what turn-around times might be.  I got the following response:

--------
Steve,

Thank you for your interest in my work but unfortunately I have absolutely no experience with the FJ-09 seat and have not yet seen the bike in person. Unless I have had the opportunity to at least inspect and handle a seat, test ride the bike myself, and preferably source a salvage unit for a dry run modification I do not accept it for work or can offer any opinion as to its potential. There are just to many variables in construction and materials to have any reasonable guarantee of success especially since I do not work on the FZ-09 seat. I am signed up with Yamaha for extended test rides at this years dealer/vendor meetings during Daytona's Biketoberfest and will make every effort to spend some time on the bike but until then I am sorry I cannot help but appreciate the inquiry.

Have a great weekend, Spencer

www.GreatDayToRide.com
--------

While I'm disappointed that he doesn't do the FJ-09 seat yet, I do appreciate that he's not just putting product out of the door and puts in his due diligence before accepting the work.  Gives him some extra points in my book.

I sent an email to Spencers to get an idea of what he might charge for modifying an FJ-09 seat and what turn-around times might be.  I got the following response:

--------
Steve,

Thank you for your interest in my work but unfortunately I have absolutely no experience with the FJ-09 seat and have not yet seen the bike in person. Unless I have had the opportunity to at least inspect and handle a seat, test ride the bike myself, and preferably source a salvage unit for a dry run modification I do not accept it for work or can offer any opinion as to its potential. There are just to many variables in construction and materials to have any reasonable guarantee of success especially since I do not work on the FZ-09 seat. I am signed up with Yamaha for extended test rides at this years dealer/vendor meetings during Daytona's Biketoberfest and will make every effort to spend some time on the bike but until then I am sorry I cannot help but appreciate the inquiry.

Have a great weekend, Spencer

www.GreatDayToRide.com
--------

While I'm disappointed that he doesn't do the FJ-09 seat yet, I do appreciate that he's not just putting product out of the door and puts in his due diligence before accepting the work.  Gives him some extra points in my book.

I was kinda afraid of putting all the custom seat makers on the list for that reason.  Thanks for the info.  I've updated the list to reflect he is not ready yet.

Good list. I think I may be the only one that finds the stock seat comfortable though? Maybe it was built for 6'7" giants...
Is it because you have a fat arse or just that the pain signals have so far to travel to your brain that they peter out?
I actually think it's because I'm a civil servant. I have made a career on sitting on my arse all day... 

• 2 weeks later...
I now have 1000 miles on my Corbin.  VERY Happy!  It felt great out of the box even though I could tell it was stiff (and hoping for the promised/reported softening).   Out of the box assets included a solid feeling between my body, the seat, and the bike. (kinda like wearing bike shoes with clipless pedals vs riding with tennis shoes.)  You feel connected.  (IMO) it has several places to sit--lets just say it has at least 4 seating stations.

Out of the box, you notice the best one, which is forward all the way.  In contrast to the stock seat, there is a more surface area making contact with your thighs so you both feel connected and have a mass of sensory data telling you where things are (lean angle, rpm's, road texture).  The next position moving aft is the 2nd seat position: seems like it fits relaxing a notch though your still in Canyon Twisty mode but your 1 1/2 inches back. You start to pick up some width on your Butt, and consequently your muscles relax with just this small change (still lots of "feel" and control). This area took about 500 miles to soften and thus got better with usage.

Next position (3) is back another 2 inches and your now 50/50 positioned for decent control but also relaxed (butt muscles really appreciate the change) and positioned more upright for looking around at the scenery.  Finally, if you move back another inch, you lose a lot of feel (no spirited riding from this position), but your really sitting comfortable, (stick out your feet, stretch one hand at a time, relax all the usual muscles you were working).  Loosen everything up for the next set of twisties.

This position took the full 1000 miles to soften (cause I probably hang out here the least).

Body Bias: 5'11" 195 lbs without gear.
Negatives:  The seat is heavy (sorry I didn't weigh it, but I'd guess it could be 12 lbs).
Unknowns: I haven't taken anyone 2-up so I haven't got any data regarding the back seat or whether there is another position I could carve out for me in the front.

To my eye, the seat looks great.    Easy to see what yours could look like simply by using their website for playing with all the various color choices.

Good luck in choosing......

I have the seat concepts and find it very comfortable for the first hour or three. After that, it seems that the foam collapses and it's like riding on a board with the front edge just at the top of your legs. This turns painful on an all day ride. So I'm getting interested in the Corbin, or possibly the Sargent.

Is there anyone in New England or Albany area with a Corbin? I'd really like to see one first hand before making a decision.

Archived