Lean angle

Just got my bike 3 weeks ago.  Finally made it to what passes for twisties where I live.  Drug the peg feelers 3 or 4 times.  I had noticed that the feelers looked extra long so I just thought Yamaha was being extra cautious for us, so kept riding at the same pace.  When I got home I looked at my chicken strips.  WTF!  No chicken strips at all on the rear tire.  I had no idea I was leaning the bike over so far.  Has anybody else noticed this?  I've either got to hang off more or slow the fcuk down, I'd hate to crash my new ride.  My other bike, a SV650 has 1/2" or so chicken strips and if anything I feel like I ride it faster on the same road....

• Premium Member
Yes, I found it was easy to get to the edge of the rear D222 tyre. I have since worn that out and fitted a Dunlop Roadsmart 2. I am not getting to the edge of this tyre even when trying hard. Others have reported the same experience. I think the D222 must have a different radius across the tread to the recommended replacement of Roadsmart 2.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I thought that the D222 and Roadsmart 2 were basically the same tire ?
They have the same tread pattern.  They have different tread depths and it is possible it is a different compound.  The D222 is like the printer cartridges that come with your new Wal-Mart printer.  Just enough to know it works before you have to replace it.  I'm convinced that's why you can't go out and buy the D222.  Who would buy a new tire with so little tread depth?  With the different tread depth, it is entirely possible the radius across the tire is different as @wessie suggested.

• Premium Member
I thought that the D222 and Roadsmart 2 were basically the same tire ?
They have the same tread pattern.  They have different tread depths and it is possible it is a different compound.  The D222 is like the printer cartridges that come with your new Wal-Mart printer.  Just enough to know it works before you have to replace it.  I'm convinced that's why you can't go out and buy the D222.  Who would buy a new tire with so little tread depth?  With the different tread depth, it is entirely possible the radius across the tire is different as @wessie suggested.
with the risk of repeating myself from another thread, I suspect as the tyre wears, the profile will flatten and it will be possible to lean closer to the edge. Of course, as you wear the tyre down the diameter decreases too. This is exactly what I have experience with other deep treaded, touring tyres like the Michelin PR3 and Conti Road Attack. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Auraaura - I think the feeler gages are so long so that the center stand isn't the first thing to drag. It was quite surprising to drag them the first time. Cheers
Agreed. I've actually touched down my centerstand twice, so I don't recommend removing the feelers.

Auraaura - I think the feeler gages are so long so that the center stand isn't the first thing to drag. It was quite surprising to drag them the first time. Cheers
Agreed. I've actually touched down my centerstand twice, so I don't recommend removing the feelers.
Yes, I agree, although there are plenty of others here who have cut them off completely. I guess cause they either "look bad" or they get shoelaces caught on them.  With the stock tires, I have about 1/4" strips on the rear tire, and have YET to touch down the feelers.  So, I think the feelers are the correct length, at least for the stock tires. 

Yes, I agree, although there are plenty of others here who have cut them off completely. I guess cause they either "look bad" or they get shoelaces caught on them.  With the stock tires, I have about 1/4" strips on the rear tire, and have YET to touch down the feelers.  So, I think the feelers are the correct length, at least for the stock tires.
Does anyone know the lean angle with and without the foot peg feelers? I had toyed with removing them and the center stand, but the high center of mass riding position makes me reluctant to push cornering to the limit. 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Premium Member
No, don't cut them off, just unscrew them. You have to lean pretty far to touch down the centerstand with proper preload on your springs. Just hang off more. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Yes, I agree, although there are plenty of others here who have cut them off completely. I guess cause they either "look bad" or they get shoelaces caught on them.
Footwear with laces are a bad idea on motorcycles IMHO. Pant legs can get caught on the feelers too though, especially rain gear for 'not-tall' people. You do not need to cut off the feelers, they unscrew - you'll need a pretty small wrench.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
7mm wrench - the flats are not very wide so my adjustable spanner would not work

I'm much happier without the feelers. I occasionally ride around town in laced shoes and had a couple of snagging incidents.

With my Daytona boots on when riding with intent, the warning sign of needing to back off a bit is scuffing my boot as I tend to dip my toe down with the ball of my foot on the peg.

Archived