Front Sprocket Nut size

fj09wildman

• Premium Member
Looked in manual and searched here but still can't find the size of the Front Sprocket Nut. 
Thanks Steve
The Drive Sprocket Nut is 95Nm (69 ft lb). 
3928147.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Looked in manual and searched here but still can't find the size of the Front Sprocket Nut. 
Thanks Steve
The Drive Sprocket Nut is 95Nm (69 ft lb). 
[attachment thumbnail=1" id="128]

Steve-
The size socket is probably 27, 30, or 32mm. I forget which. It may be on there with loctite and staked for good measure too - which means you'll need a small chisel.

Skip

Thanks, I found all the that information in this great $100 factory manual. >:D  I guess I have to take it apart an measure it and go get one.  That's what I did with rear axle nut for the same reason. Measured it best I could and bought  26, 27 and 28 mm sockets at Auto Zone.  Took the 26 and 28 back for refund to credit card.  

Was hoping someone on here had changed the sprocket on an FZ or FJ.  Before I started thread, I found the thread size M22 on page 2-15 with torque spec. 69 ft-lbf and the surprising news on the Chain Drive pg. 4-98 shown above, that they require a new drive nut.  Don't have to worry about loctite because they indicate on that page to lube threads and washer with engine oil.  I'm just going to go over to my ex Yamaha dealer in the morning and ask Josh the Mechanic whats up with the new nut and the size of the socket to fit the nut.  Lord only knows where I'll find the nut.  My dealer got his dealership yanked and they came and picked up all the bikes and parts from him.  He still carries Honda and Triumphs so maybe he has one laying around to sell from them. There's another dealer about 10 mi.s from work but he mostly handles ATV stuff and I doubt that he has it in stock.  I can probally order the nut online and get it faster than from a dealer if I can find it.

Maybe I'll keep bumping this thread to see if someone picks it up that knows.

Thanks guys, Steve

Steve

Steve- you need a new nut, because the current one is staked in 2 places to the axle.

If you can install the new front sprocket and torque the nut, and the nut is rotated to a new spot where you can stake it using new material - then you might be able to re use it.

Yes, you will only be able to find this type of nut from Yamaha.

-Skip

Thanks Skipper, You were right with both answers. The front sprocket nut socket size is a 30 mm. That exactly what happen with the staking points. When I re-staked them I left the front lip of the staking ring up a little so I can get a small screwdriver under it to pry it up without damage I hope. My info above was before I had even taken it apart and I thought it might be a thread stretch thing from the torque. I guess I can go up and edit the first post the tell anyone else what the socket size it.

The EK chain and Jt sprockets went on with out a hitch. I'm still having trouble getting chain slack adjustment perfect. The single marking point on the swingarm seems to make it hard to get things lined up. Be nice if they put a mark on the top and the bottom of the swingarm to line up with the two marks on th axle plate. I think I have found an easy way for me to get it the same on both sides. I get in close by using the marks. I then took my digital caliper and measure from the adjusting bolt side axle block to the swingarm and zeroed the caliper. Then closed the caliper and that would be my base for the other side. Measure the other side and adjust accordingly. I can get it to with .1-.2 mm difference pretty quickly. The axle nut side is a little tricky but I just put it under the axle which does add a small angle but I'm sure it's closer then by my eye.

Skipper I have another ?, I know on most my other bikes all Kawasaki's, I could always get the rear sprocket to line up to the center of the chain roller. I've tried everything on this one, even taking it out of adjustment to the point of wobbles with no hands on the bar while coasting. Sprocket still won't ride in the center of the chain. Looking from the back, the gap between sprocket tooth and chain plate on the left side seems to be about a 1/16 and on the right a 32nd. You can see the small difference on the chain rollers from the sprocket tooth imprint. My friend Jesse with a FZ6 looks the same way. I guess it's a Yamaha thing. I have a good layer of grease on both sides of the sprocket so it's not rubbing on the right side. It coasts straight down the road, so I'm not going to be OCD about it. How's yours look?

Thanks again SkipperT, when I find out how I'll make you my friend. {: )}

Steve
Steve

Your welcome, glad it worked out.

Interesting, I've never noticed a difference in the plate measurements side to side! I've always just installed chain/sprockets and not noticed, but I wouldn't worry about it. As the factory doesn't give you any way to adjust it. The other factor here is that the front sprocket is usually a bit narrower and lacking that sound dampening stuff on each side that you mentioned.

Belts always seem to run toward the left unless you deliberately mis align the rear wheel. Hmmm

Skip

Yeah, not worried because it's not rubbing the right side of the sprocket.  Stock ran the same way.  You can see a light coating of grease marking on the side of the sprocket below the teeth.  I know it sure feels good with new tires and drive train. :)  She rolls into corners and doesn't have that jerky throttle response when changing speed.  Speaking of throttle response did you see the thread on throttle cable adjustment.  If not, tighten up the slack, it makes everything smoother for on/off throttle changes, especially in the corners.  Eliminates the guessing/delay when rolling it back on from a closed position.

Steve
Steve

Archived