Who's the oldest FJ rider?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I'm 77 and have been riding for 62 years. I love my FJ-09, traded in a 2013 Triumph Explorer. The FJ is the near perfect bike in my opinion, closing in on 6000 miles to date.

Lawrence of Suburbia might give you a run for your money, but sadly, he has not longed on since Aug 5th.
LoS has not been here since *July* 5th according to the member's list.  I've been expecting him to return as his holiday ended a few weeks ago
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Lawrence of Suburbia might give you a run for your money, but sadly, he has not longed on since Aug 5th.
LoS has not been here since *July* 5th according to the member's list.  I've been expecting him to return as his holiday ended a few weeks ago
Yup, meant to type July. Sometimes my brain has a mind of it's own. 2bitchslap_zpst7e3ufi6.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
23...am i the youngest?
Quite possibly. 
It is very difficult for a rider your age to get on an MT09 in the UK and many other countries. Firstly, they wouldn't be able to ride a bike over 47bhp until 21 years of age and then it is a protracted process of a basic skills test at 17 on a 125, another test at 19 years to ride up to 47bhp and a third test at 21 to get the unrestricted licence.

Then there is the question of insurance...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

23...am i the youngest?
Quite possibly. 
It is very difficult for a rider your age to get on an MT09 in the UK and many other countries. Firstly, they wouldn't be able to ride a bike over 47bhp until 21 years of age and then it is a protracted process of a basic skills test at 17 on a 125, another test at 19 years to ride up to 47bhp and a third test at 21 to get the unrestricted licence.

But a 16 year old can legally hop on a Kawasaki H2 after answering 20 questions here in Indiana.  He just can't ride without a helmet or after dark until he's gone through a few cones in a parking lot on any bike he chooses.  

• Premium Member
Quite possibly. 

But a 16 year old can legally hop on a Kawasaki H2 after answering 20 questions here in Indiana.  He just can't ride without a helmet or after dark until he's gone through a few cones in a parking lot on any bike he chooses.  

two extremes of a continuum, with perhaps the Japanese system even more challenging for new riders to acquire a full licence

The Indiana system is a joke but our system is too draconian now and does not really solve the perceived problem of high casualty rates. The two groups most at risk are a) teenage males on scooters & mopeds and b) those born again male riders who got a full licence 30 years ago, have not ridden anything since the CX500 they had before making babies and then when the kids graduate buy a 1700cc Triumph without so much as a refresher around some cones in a car park. The new licence system does not apply to anyone with a full licence acquired under any previous system and scooter riders can ride around with L plates after the basic training. What the new system does well, is put many young people off considering motorcycles as a viable mode of transport as a car test is so much simpler.

Moan and thread swerve over :)

Archived