Iron Butt Border to Border Insanity

fj09er

Just finished 2nd Iron Butt on my FJ. This time a friend and I completed the Border to Border Insanity. We rode from Coutts Alberta to Algodones Mexico (2260 km or 1412 miles) in 22hrs and 35 min. The bike ran great. I did notice the pegs need to be a bit wider to allow me stand for a bit longer and stock seat doesn't suit my derriere over long distances so thank goodness I had a sheepskin seat cover. Averaged 51 mpg with an overall average of 66 mph including the 7 gas stops. Border crossing back into USA from Mexico was different as the Border Security guy didnt believe we could have done that. Had to show him the witness statements and paperwork to prove it. Stayed in Yuma for the night during a heat wave. Getting to experience 117°F or 47°C for the 1st time was a treat. Riding for a case of beer a few blocks away was an assault of heat and humidity. My eyes dried out within seconds of opening them. We ended up pulling pegs from the Yuma Cabana (never staying there again) at 3am next morning just to avoid the insane heat. In the end 4950 km or 3090 miles traveled in 6 days with 40 hrs spent in Vegas. Very pleased with bike for long distance riding. I welcome all comments and questions.

• Premium Member
Congrats, that is quite a feat.

You mentioned sheepskin seat covers... Alaska Leather?

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

As for auxiliary fuel cells, the rules are quite strict. We do carry a couple liters each (just in case). I do need the break every few hrs to stretch the legs and give my butt a rest. The plumbing needed along with the extra weight doesn't appeal to me.

• Premium Member
The plumbing can be a challenge, for sure. I put a three gallon aux fuel system on my TT600. Drilling the fuel tank for a bulkhead fitting was scary, but in hindsight also the easiest part of the job.

My Triumph had a single-piece seat, so I built a custom rack to hold the fuel cell over the tail. Even with the fuel up high and aft it didn't affect handling in a significant way, but full of fuel the added weight was still only about 30-35 lbs.

Since the FJ has a two piece seat, I think I'll try my hand at building a custom cell to replace the pillion seat. If I keep the capacity to three gallons or so the weight should be barely noticeable.

As for rules, the IBA standards are really not all that hard to follow and they ensure safety. I'll keep the forum posted when I start this project.

• Premium Member
Here's the system I had on my Triumph:

MP_01.jpg

The drag racing cell was pretty ugly but it worked. This time I want to build something that visually integrates with my FJ a little better.

Archived