Break in Period and first service question

• Premium Member
Haha, American miles may be bigger, but they're not longer!
But they are fatter. What were we talking about again?haha_zps37316wby.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

With engine oil capacity at 3 qts. and average rpm more than double that of automotive applications, my engine will never see 4000 mi. before oil change. I have been in the auto repair business for over 30 years & witnessed many teardowns of engines that had "regular" services that failed. In my opinion it is cheap insurance. I have never heard "well if you hadn't changed your oil so much"
I have to agree with this, my engine won't see 4000 miles between oil changes either. I changed my oil at 3000 miles and the oil was still clean looking.. I really liked that and I only use synthetic oil.

• Premium Member
With engine oil capacity at 3 qts. and average rpm more than double that of automotive applications, my engine will never see 4000 mi. before oil change. I have been in the auto repair business for over 30 years & witnessed many teardowns of engines that had "regular" services that failed. In my opinion it is cheap insurance. I have never heard "well if you hadn't changed your oil so much"
Not that I'm arguing against your conservate approach, but 4000 miles isn't a stretch even for normal dino juice if the thing isn't being run like a racebike.  I have been in the habit of using synthetics because a lot of motorcycle engines tend to run a bit hot, and synthetics tolerate that better, but the FJ does not appear to be very hot blooded -- certainly nothing like my old Daytona 675.  I have no concerns at all with a 4000 mile interval between changing synthetic oil. 
The one thing I am not going to do according to Yamaha's schedule is skip changing the oil filter every other oil change.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

A bit late for me to advise the OP now, I'm sure the service has been done. The first oil change has been traditionally been at low mileage to ensure any manufacturing 'extras' caught in the oil will be disposed of.
Subsequent changes seem to differ where you are in the world. I asked my dealer why in the US they have a service interval lower than we have in Europe (6k), I was told I ought to change the oil every 3000 miles and the US service spec (4k) reinforced the fact!

What is more important is what have the riding conditions been like in those miles. Many cold starts with low mileage can play havoc, whereas a multi thou trip over a week or two won't.

• Premium Member
Subsequent changes seem to differ where you are in the world. I asked my dealer why in the US they have a service interval lower than we have in Europe, I was told I ought to change the oil every 3000 miles and the US service spec reinforced the fact!

The US specification owner's manual specifies 4000 miles / 6000km between oil changes, not 3000.  I noticed right away because that's the longest service interval of any bike I've ever owned; most are indeed 3000 miles.  Admittedly I have occasionally forgotten to do the change for upwards of 4000 miles even on those other bikes. :-) 
The valve check interval is mind boggling: 26,600 miles / 42,000km.  That's close to double the interval of any of my previous bikes.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Thanks Jim, I hadn't mentioned the Euro nor US mileages in my post - have now put in the numbers in case it causes confusion. It was my dealer and not Yamaha who told me to change the oil mid service intervals. The workshop manager had previously run a shop in Califonia so is used to the lower mileage between services.

The valve check interval is mind boggling: 26,600 miles / 42,000km.  That's close to double the interval of any of my previous bikes.

Interesting, my YZF's valve clearance check interval was 28k and that engine is a 90's or earlier design

• Premium Member
The workshop manager had previously run a shop in Califonia so is used to the lower mileage between services.

That's all the racer kids doing timed runs between SF and LA. :-)

Interesting, my YZF's valve clearance check interval was 28k and that engine is a 90's or earlier design

Yay for Yamaha! Although really the tech for long intervals has been around for a long time, so I'm not completely surprised.

My SV650S was 14,500. My Daytona was specified for only 12,000 miles, although admittedly that's a racebike with lights and the engine is fairly high strung. I had misremembered the Daytona interval as 15,000 and actually got around to bringing it in at 17,000. Everything still in spec, thankfully. Today's Triumphs are not yesterday's Triumphs, that's for sure.

Some Ducatis need to be checked at only 6,000 miles. Crazy.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I don't think I'd pay a dealer to to the first service it's basically just an oil change and check over. I did mine yesterday at 675 mile and the oil that came out looked pretty clean. About as easy an oil change as any bike too, the filter is not over the headers and is even slightly angled so oil doesn't drip down the case. I lubed the stands, levers, shifter, and brake peddle, set the clutch cable free play, the throttle play was fine.
The dealership costs so much because of the throttle body synchronization that is technically required (according to the manual) at the 600 mile service, and then every 4000 mile service. 
It's a $600+ tool to perform this, and requires taking the tank off, etc. Hence why dealerships charge $200 for a service.

It's pretty important to do it at least for the first service, as the throttle body is calibrated based on the climate / altitude of Japan (or wherever else the engine is assembled) and not necessarily calibrated when the throttle body is hooked up to the engine.

It's just a good idea to have it done for the first service so you know everything is working together properly; after that I'm on the fence. However, I still think it's important to have it done at the first service.

Archived