Cruiser to FJ?

joebiker25

Congrats! I do love the VTX...super comfy for 2 up, endless highway miles without issue. I will keep it either way. Let me know how you adjust to the FJ. Thanks!
Coming from a V-Star 950, I was shocked to find that the FJ09 is somehow better riding 2up... I still can't wrap my head around that.  More importantly, the FJ has made me feel like what I was doing before wasn't even motorcycling.  It's so much better and more fun in every possible way, and has made me love riding again (I was actually quite bored to the point of avoiding riding).  The throttle needs a steady hand but it's part of the fun.  I love how engaged it makes me feel. 
I hope you find what you're looking for!

Thanks! that insight is very helpful!

Welcome cvw73! I am 5' 10" with a 30 inch inseam and I can put both feet flat on the ground in the low seat position. 

I sat on one today and barely got the balls of my feet on the ground...apparently in the low seat position! I am also 5'10'' wit a 30 inch inseam...gorgeous bike though!

• Premium Member
I came from a cruiser: 1984 Shadow VT700C. I liked the cruiser look and so it took me awhile to warm up to the bat-cycle look of the FJ-09. Now I love it after learning about its positive features. I had become a very cautious rider on the Shadow. Its handling capabilities didn't inspire much confidence. I rode it about 1500 miles per year, partly because I couldn't sit on it for more than an hour.
Now I've put 3800 miles on my FJ-09 in just two months. It is just so much more fun! I am gradually becoming more aggressive with the twisties. I seek them out now, but I generally avoided them on the Shadow.
Good advice to start in B mode until you get used to the seating position. Then if you have the inseam, go for the high seat position.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I came from a cruiser: 1984 Shadow VT700C. I liked the cruiser look and so it took me awhile to warm up to the bat-cycle look of the FJ-09. Now I love it after learning about its positive features. I had become a very cautious rider on the Shadow. Its handling capabilities didn't inspire much confidence. I rode it about 1500 miles per year, partly because I couldn't sit on it for more than an hour. Now I've put 3800 miles on my FJ-09 in just two months. It is just so much more fun! I am gradually becoming more aggressive with the twisties. I seek them out now, but I generally avoided them on the Shadow.
Good advice to start in B mode until you get used to the seating position. Then if you have the inseam, go for the high seat position.
Good point on the seat height.  I almost forgot I did the same thing.  Started low till I was a little more confident, then raised the seat height to get some more leg room. 
I have a buddy that had a similar Shadow.  Not sure of the exact year, but pretty sure it was early 80's.  I rode it a few times.  Couldn't wait to get off it each time.  The biggest problem was the guy that had it is about 8 inches shorter than me and had it set up to fit him.  He liked it so that's all that mattered.  He's the type of guy you couldn't even get to sit on anything other than a cruiser though.

If anyone is put-off by leg reach, there are lowering links available that drop the suspension by about an inch.
 Lowering link thread

Also, this may not be an ideal 1st bike, but I've been training my 17yr-old son on it, and he's had Zero experience. B-mode and the light weight, and natural riding position of this bike are big pluses. My 1st bike was a ZX-6... Also Not a perfect 1st bike  ;)

Brian

If anyone is put-off by leg reach, there are lowering links available that drop the suspension by about an inch.  Lowering link thread

Also, this may not be an ideal 1st bike, but I've been training my 17yr-old son on it, and he's had Zero experience. B-mode and the light weight, and natural riding position of this bike are big pluses. My 1st bike was a ZX-6... Also Not a perfect 1st bike  ;)

Brian

Wholeheartedly agree the FJ is not an ideal first bike. There's just too much power, even in B mode for the large majority of brand new riders. Also, nearly every new rider is going to drop a bike at some point. It is quite expensive and disheartening to drop a brand new bike. The light weight, B mode, natural riding position, ABS, traction control and great low speed balance make it an ideal second bike, especially for the taller rider that can reach the ground easily, IMHO.

• Premium Member
I came from a cruiser: 1984 Shadow VT700C. I liked the cruiser look and so it took me awhile to warm up to the bat-cycle look of the FJ-09. Now I love it after learning about its positive features.

I'm not sure what the positive features of the looks are, I always thought it was a bit too angular and alien looking, but I don't have to look at it while I'm riding so what do I care. :-)

Now I've put 3800 miles on my FJ-09 in just two months. It is just so much more fun!

Yea. My previous bike was a Daytona 675. That was a phenomenal bike in lots of ways, but painful as hell after about three hours, and that's barely enough time to get to interesting riding from my house ... much less do a loop. So, I curtailed some of the longer trips I would have otherwise taken and sort of dreaded the ten-plus hour rides to and from get-togethers with friends that I do a couple of times a year.

The FJ ... it is just fun. It's not as competent at high speed as the Daytona was, or as stable, and it's waaaay easier to drag hard parts. But holy moly is it fun to ride, and all day comfortable. Short distances, long distances, doesn't matter. It's an amazing all-arounder.

Good advice to start in B mode until you get used to the seating position.

The standard mode worked well enough for me right off the bat. Where I like B mode is if the road gets rough; in B mode there isn't any on/off throttle snatchiness. That makes it great for traffic and in bumpy roads where it's hard to hold the throttle perfectly still. I haven't found any particular use for A mode, even riding hard the bike stomps right out of corners fine in STD. Maybe if I were on a trackday.

I was accustomed to the seat height from the Daytona, which is quite similar, if not slightly higher. As a short guy the FJ is still on the edge of what I can realistically handle, and I still get off it to back it up. Solution: Try to stop less often. :-)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived