Gearing

thewickedw0lf

Since this bike has a top speed limiter of 115, and you will hit that before redline in 4th 5th and 6th (from what i understand) is there any reason not gear it lower so you can use more of the available power? On my last bike (aprilia tuono v-twin) that was the first thing everyone does when they buy the bike for the same reason. I understand you might sacrifice some gas mileage.. maybe?

If you want all of the available power just put it in A mode.
European brands are all geared high to help with emissions testing. One of the tests is a drive by in top gear so if the bike is geared high it will be turning over fewer RPM for this test, less emissions and less noise.
My Ducati GT1000's 6th gear was not useable under 70mph. Had to drop a tooth on the front sprocket.

• Premium Member
If the engine was an inline 4 then there might be an advantage in altering the gearing. This C3 triple has plenty of mid range torque and personally I don't find it lacks anything when accelerating. For speeds below 115mph the top 2 gears are pretty redundant except for lowering the engine noise when in relaxed touring mode.

When riding with a bit of spirit I tend to use mainly 3rd or 4th gears - in 3rd you can accelerate from walking pace to well over 100mph using the engine's torque at low revs and then a wave of revs related power as you head towards the red line.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 4 weeks later...
What RPM should I be at when driving around at speed. My first bike and Ive been rolling around in 6th at 50mph+ Havent had any issues getting out the way yet, but sounds like I might be way under. What RPM should I be at when driving around at speed. My first bike and Ive been rolling around in 6th at 50mph+ Havent had any issues getting out the way yet, but sounds like I might be way under.

What RPM should I be at when driving around at speed. My first bike and Ive been rolling around in 6th at 50mph+ Havent had any issues getting out the way yet, but sounds like I might be way under. What RPM should I be at when driving around at speed. My first bike and Ive been rolling around in 6th at 50mph+ Havent had any issues getting out the way yet, but sounds like I might be way under.
6th @ 50mph is totally fine.  Granted you won't have a ton of acceleration available at that speed (still more than some cars), but it's fine.  
The owner's manual recommendations are always pretty hilarious.  Can you imagine shifting into 6th at 37mph?

shift_zpshijqiz3e.png

6th @ 50mph is totally fine.  Granted you won't have a ton of acceleration available at that speed (still more than some cars), but it's fine.  
The owner's manual recommendations are always pretty hilarious.  Can you imagine shifting into 6th at 37mph?

shift_zpshijqiz3e.png

I've owned three yamaha bikes and the shift points are always listed at ridiculously low speeds.  You'll lug the engine if you shift at these listed points. 
It should look more like:

1st to 2nd: 30km/h (19mi/h)
2nd to 3rd: 45km/h (28mi/h)
3rd to 4th: 60km/h (37mi/h)
4th to 5th: 70km/h (43mi/h)
5th to 6th: 80km/h (50mi/h)

And that's for fuel efficient, sedate riding.  At the Yamaha suggested speeds, you'd be at such low rpm you'd have next to no available torque for quick maneuvers.

//QED

The engine is quite tolerant of revving as well. I've found that you can shift extremely late without any noticeable impact to fuel consumption, and it's actually easier to get smooth shifts without the snatchy feeling of the gearbox.

I'm still acclimatizing myself to a sport bike engine after coming from a cruiser, so my instinct is to keep the rpm low. I don't think I've even broken 6000 rpm because the bike gets to license-losing speeds in 2nd gear after 3 seconds...which means, looking at the dyno chart, that I haven't even used more than around half the available power. That blows my mind.
//QED

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Speaking of speed in a particular gear. During my 'Moto-man' break-in I rode her hard for brief periods to insure good piston ring seal. I then changed oil at 36mi. On the odo... Also rode at more sane speeds for next 1000mi.

But I did turn the throttle up to about 8k in 2nd gear and was surprised to see 80mph indicated!!!

This baby is geared WAY to high. I have to slip the clutch and get the refs up to get a smooth start in 1st gear.

Think I will go to a 47 tooth rear sprocket and stay with 15 front. Anyone tried this combo? Thanks, Dave

I'm happy with the gearing. It really allows you to charge out of corner exits with the TC keeping the front end down.

The engine really doesn't start making go fast hp till after 6k with a little peak at 8k and pulls strong to the rev limiter.

Yet you can put it in B mode and ride it lazy like a cruiser.

Archived