chain slack

• Premium Member
Has anyone heard anything from Yamaha regarding this issue? I sent a note to my dealer inquiring but they are unlikely to respond until sometime next week, if at all.

I finally got around to doing some chain maintenance today and there's just no way 5-15mm on the centerstand is correct. At 17mm there was no slack when on the sidestand, and it was banjo tight under any kind of load.

I started with 32mm, which seemed a bit on the loose side, but not drastically so. A half turn on the adjusters gave me the aforementioned 17mm. Backing off 1/6 turn (one flat) gave me 22mm and while that seemed ok on the sidestand, there was still no slack under load. Backing off another 1/6 to 27mm yielded good chain tension, in my opinion.

I'm thinking 25-30mm might be reasonable, but even 25mm might be a bit tight.

I wondered if the numbers might have been intended for sidestand, not centerstand, but 5mm on the sidestand would also be crazy.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Some people mentioned they thought the chain slacked with weight on it. I can say for sure that is not the case at all. Did some chain maintenance Yesterday and had my girlfriend sit on the bike while checking chain and at about 1 inch on center stand, I had almost no play while upright.

I had a service done recently and there was about 1 3/4 inch slack and this was way too much. I put it about 1 1/4 slack while on center stand and it felt much better than what the dealer had it at. I was hearing the chain rubbing on slow downs and shifting felt odd. I'm not sure what they were thinking if they even touched it. They did clean it and said it was full service so I assumed...

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like my axel nut was over torqued last tire change/service. Now there's slack between the adjuster plate and flat of axel end so when I torque up the axel it twists slightly and tightens the chain. I'll be asking the dealer to replace the ally adjuster plate. Anyone else had this problem? Otherwise my Tracer is ace...

• Premium Member
FWIW I never heard back from my dealer as to whether or not Yamaha has changed their mind about chain tension. Absent any new information from Yamaha I think I'm going to target 30mm with the bike on the centerstand henceforth. 25mm is the bare minimum I would suggest; anything tighter than that can lose all slack under full compression and you don't want to go there.

I bent the plate on my old SVS at one point, either by overtightening or maybe tightening it down skewed. I fixed that well enough by pounding it flat again. :-)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived