Stock rubber mileage

• Premium Member
What kind of mileage are we getting from the stock rear tire?
I have 2k on mine and, while it appears to have a couple of thousand left in it, I'm getting ready to do about a 2,500 mile trip and want to change it before I leave if it won't last through the trip.
This may be just the motivation I need to go ahead spring for a new set of PR4s.  8-)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I've seen posted so far in other tire related threads anywhere from 3000 to 5500 miles on the rear D222. Front is lasting quite a bit longer. Will you make it? Maybe, maybe not. Up to you if you want to risk it. I've got close to 4k on mine and it's getting pretty close to needing another on the rear. I think your estimate of having a couple thousand left is just about as good a guess as you are going to get. I know you were hoping for either a "sure it'll make it" or a "definately won't last that long" answer to make it easier. But the reality is, "Maybe. Maybe not."

• Premium Member
From what I've seen posted so far in other tire related threads anywhere from 3000 to 5500 miles on the rear D222. Front is lasting quite a bit longer. Will you make it? Maybe, maybe not. Up to you if you want to risk it. I've got close to 4k on mine and it's getting pretty close to needing another on the rear. I think your estimate of having a couple thousand left is just about as good a guess as you are going to get. I know you were hoping for either a "sure it'll make it" or a "definately won't last that long" answer to make it easier. But the reality is, "Maybe. Maybe not."
Thanks. That's about what I thought. PR4s ordered. I've had good experience with the PR4s in the past. Got almost 8k out of a rear that I had on my last Beemer. Being much lighter, maybe the FJ can get closer to 10.

You'll make it. I had more than that on mine when I hit the road on a Palm Springs to Seattle round trip of 2,500 miles.  Currently just past 6,500 and still going strong.  The front will clearly outlast the rear but for now they're both very usable.

• Premium Member
I erred on the side of caution and changed the rear at around 3500 before going to France. Based on the wear on @johan's tyre on the same trip, I think I could have used the D222 for the trip. @johan went on to get over 7000 miles out of his rear tyre, mostly commuting miles.

The advantage for me was that I did not have any of that will it, won't it last anxiety for my holiday.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
My original Dunlop D222's are probably on their last 1 or 2 thousand miles. They've been on the bike for all of its 10,500 miles. I just got back a bit ago from a 2400 mile trip from Tucson, Arizona to San Antonio, Texas and back. I was sure I'd need a new rear installed while in San Antonio, but they're doing okay, but are really starting to get a flat band around them (front and rear). I'm going to try to keep them on till the next service if possible.

Anyway, I did get to see my granddaughter graduate from Air Force basic training in San Antonio at Lackland AFB.
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

My original Dunlop D222's are probably on their last 1 or 2 thousand miles. They've been on the bike for all of its 10,500 miles. I just got back a bit ago from a 2400 mile trip from Tucson, Arizona to San Antonio, Texas and back. I was sure I'd need a new rear installed while in San Antonio, but they're doing okay, but are really starting to get a flat band around them (front and rear). I'm going to try to keep them on till the next service if possible. 
Anyway, I did get to see my granddaughter graduate from Air Force basic training in San Antonio at Lackland AFB.
Wow, 10,500 is quite good. I won't get half that on my rear D222.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Filled with Nitrogen at 100 miles.  
-skip
Why?

Thought I would try it. I have a couple riding buddies that swear Nitrogen and dyna beads instead of conventional weight - give them more miles per set of tires.

I'm not really Into the dyna beads - but the Nitrogen is a simple thing to install instead of air.

-Skip

• Premium Member
I have a hard time believing that nitrogen makes any real difference. Somebody got it in their head that since nitrogen is used in aircraft tires it must be good for motorcycles, too. Jet fighters!

Aircraft use pure nitrogen because it's dry. Regular atmospheric air contains moisture which freezes at high altitudes. But unless you routinely ride at 30,000 feet, this shouldn't be an issue.

This reminds me of the company a few years ago that tried to sell motorcycle retreads on the basis that "jet fighters use retreads!" LOL. Yeah they do, and they fall apart on jet fighters all the damn time.

I have a hard time believing that nitrogen makes any real difference. Somebody got it in their head that since nitrogen is used in aircraft tires it must be good for motorcycles, too. Jet fighters! 
Aircraft use pure nitrogen because it's dry. Regular atmospheric air contains moisture which freezes at high altitudes. But unless you routinely ride at 30,000 feet, this shouldn't be an issue.

This reminds me of the company a few years ago that tried to sell motorcycle retreads on the basis that "jet fighters use retreads!" LOL. Yeah they do, and they fall apart on jet fighters all the damn time.

Yes, me too. But it was free so why not?
The thing I do like, is that the pressures have not varied by 1-2 psi since February. Which is probably why they help a bit with mileage as us Americans are so good with checking tire pressures on a regular basis. ;)

-S

• Premium Member

The real good thing about Nitrogen is the size of it's molecules. They are larger than air so they do not pass through the tires as easily, and subsequently retain the air pressure longer. linky1 linky2
linky3

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Why?
Thought I would try it. I have a couple riding buddies that swear Nitrogen and dyna beads instead of conventional weight - give them more miles per set of tires.

I'm not really Into the dyna beads - but the Nitrogen is a simple thing to install instead of air.

-Skip
I use the Dyna Beads in my bikes for one reason- I can eliminate the outer, wheel weight. Seems to work OK, and the wheels have a cleaner appearance.

My rationale for using them.

Archived