Stock rubber mileage

• Premium Member
The real good thing about Nitrogen is the size of it's molecules. They are larger than air so they do not pass through the tires as easily...
You do realize that "air" is 78% nitrogen, right? :-)

Most of the remaining 22% of air is oxygen, which is only about 3% smaller in size than nitrogen molecules. This is not enough to make significant difference in terms of air lost through the tire itself. This is classic hooey.

Of course, there is less air lost by tires filled with pure nitrogen, but the reason is less thermal expansion. Regular air heats up more due to water vapor. So yes, there is a theoretical advantage but it is very minimal. If you can get a free nitrogen fill, go for it. But I wouldn't waste my money on it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got over 5 000 miles on my D222's could have done more but with a trip to Spain I was not going to push them any further - had noticed, whilst with still a fair bit of tread the handling had gone off, especially when overtaking - I felt the rear slip when crossing the white lines.
Replaced both for PR4's, first day in Spain and the bike was all over the place - I thought I had made a mistake with tyre choice, a friend on a Ducati had similar handling on his new 4's. Next day the bikes were fine, must have been the awful road surface we rode on the previous day.
Spain, the Alps and a few days this last weekend in France 6 000 miles and still going, probably would get another 1-2k miles, down on what I'm used to on a smaller cc bike (wasn't expecting similar). These were some hard miles on the tyres, pushed them more than with previous bikes. It'll be same again when worn out, they do the business for me.

• Premium Member
Thanks wessie, but I know how to google.  
I wanted real world experience.

Skip
haha - good luck with that. The opinions are going to be full of objectivity and scientifically backed evidence, aren't they.

I have run both PR3 Trails and PR4 Trails on my last bike. I couldn't really tell the difference. How often do you test the limits of the tyres in wet conditions to evidence one being better than the other? How do you measure if you are getting 20% more mileage unless you repeat the exact life cycle from one set of tyres to another which I will never do.

All I can say is the PR tyres, whether 3 or 4, were miles better than the Bridgestone tyres on the the last bike when I bought it. That was from a handling perspective. The Michelins seemed to improve the steering of the bike, instilling more confidence. 

I'm very happy with the Roadsmart 2 replacement rear I bought for the Tracer. If I ever lost faith in the Dunlop tyres I would switch to whichever PR3 or PR4 was available at an acceptable price. The claim by Michelin that the PR4 will be more durable and will offer better braking performance is not really a factor for me, as the PR3 is adequate in this respect. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I also had both PR 3 and PR 4's on my Duc Multistrada, could not tell a difference.
But what does matter is cornering and feel of the bike. Both get a SOLID A in my book.
Will get them as soon as I see that there is a little wear on the stock tires, which I do not like at all.
The 222's just don't have a good feel, don't feel planted, seem a little noisy and don't steer in as well.
RC

I have about 5400 miles on the OEM tires and the rear will make it to at least 6000 miles. I do some commuting and spend a lot of time in the twisties. I live only about 30 minutes from the Dragon or as some like to call it - Tail of the Dragon. I'm up there at least twice a month.

Living close and around those roads must be wonderful.wonderful .

I received 5000 no slip predictable miles out of the rear 222, never liked oem tires so much.

Removing it's hard dead carcass was a chore, no wonder it felt harsh...the tire is made of granite.

I also had both PR 3 and PR 4's on my Duc Multistrada, could not tell a difference. But what does matter is cornering and feel of the bike. Both get a SOLID A in my book.
Will get them as soon as I see that there is a little wear on the stock tires, which I do not like at all.
The 222's just don't have a good feel, don't feel planted, seem a little noisy and don't steer in as well.
RC

I hate these tires, I'm at 4500km, and I'm changing them, I'm going for the pirelli scorpion trail 2...

Archived