Clutch engagement

My clutch doesn't engage until the lever is quite far out. Makes it harder to be smooth when taking off from a stop. I know it can be adjusted, but am curious if everyone else's has been set up like that?

Thanks!

My clutch doesn't engage until the lever is quite far out. Makes it harder to be smooth when taking off from a stop. I know it can be adjusted, but am curious if everyone else's has been set up like that? 
Thanks!
Yes. Mine is like that. The good news is that you only need a slight pull on the clutch lever to change gears. I also fitted Pazzo Racing levers to be able to adjust the reach required. 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

I don't know what it is about the stock clutch lever setup, but since switching to this bike I'm getting wrist pain from clutching. It's not that far out or really that stiff, so it's a mystery. I will say that I don't like how late the clutch pull is since it makes it harder to ride smoothly and renders half the lever range pointless, but I ordered some adjustable replacement levers to remedy the situation.
//QED

• Premium Member
I don't know what it is about the stock clutch lever setup, but since switching to this bike I'm getting wrist pain from clutching. It's not that far out or really that stiff, so it's a mystery. I will say that I don't like how late the clutch pull is since it makes it harder to ride smoothly and renders half the lever range pointless, but I ordered some adjustable replacement levers to remedy the situation.

Can you rotate the lever to make it more comfortable?

To reduce pressure on your wrists, which may lead to pressure on a nerve or restriction of blood flow you want to be able to use the clutch (and brake) where you have a straight line along the top of your forearm to the tip of your fingers. If there is a bend at the wrist you need to raise or lower the lever by rotating it on the bar.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I don't like how late the clutch pull is since it makes it harder to ride smoothly and renders half the lever range pointless.
I added to the free play with the existing cable adjuster. Now the first 1/2 inch of lever movement just takes up the slack and the remainder disengages the clutch, so it disengages when the lever is closer to the grip. Easy enough. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I don't like how late the clutch pull is since it makes it harder to ride smoothly and renders half the lever range pointless.
I added to the free play with the existing cable adjuster. Now the first 1/2 inch of lever movement just takes up the slack and the remainder disengages the clutch, so it disengages when the lever is closer to the grip. Easy enough.
Couple of turns on the adjuster is all it takes. First thing I did on the way home from dealer.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll check my alignment and adjust the cable (adjustable cable is a new concept to me, so I hesitated to play with it) and hopefully it will improve things. I'm also keen to get the gold and black levers on, either way.
//QED

Archived